Can you set a default drive mode?

Goose2

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 ford f150
At the end of the day I think Ford won’t let you shift into any setting if it’s going to hurt the truck. There are things that could of coarse, like putting it in 4x4 on dry pavement.
Sponsored

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
I am really shocked that a truck this technically savvy cannot recall what mode you want to drive in. My wife's 2016 Acura knows her modes and mine based on the key. Once set, it stays that way until you manually change it.

snoshuu

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4/Sport(302A) -5.0- Velocity Blue
Occupation
Troublemaker
Also, do you have to select a mode every time you start the vehicle or does it default to the mode it was last in when it was last turned off?
So far I've only used "Normal" and "Slippery", but when I park in the garage at night, leaving it in "Slippery" mode, it will still be in Slippery mode the next morning whether I remote or manually start it. It does the same if I leave it in Normal mode. I'll try to see what happens if I leave it in Eco mode the next time there's no snow on the roads. ??

Orlando150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
I’ve found that the behavior on startup is a bit inconsistent. If I have the car in eco mode when I turn it off, then I will be asked if I want it in eco mode when I restart. The one exception I’ve found is when I do a remote start with the app. With a remote start it always goes to normal mode and there isn’t a prompt asking if I want eco mode
Looks like it asks if you want to stay in sport mode on start up too. At least in this new video at 8:20):

JimboJames

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ram 1500 ecodiesel 2x4
Occupation
construction subcontractor
awesome truck, but you guys are right it reverts to normal on restart. So now every drive I have to turn dial to eco (accidently engaging 4wd on the way there) turn off the start stop button AND go into my menus to turn off outlets so my loud inverter fan doesn't run for no reason. Getting ridiculous. (1st world problems)

Sponsored

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Gen14 Platinum Hybrid; Tesla M3
I am really shocked that a truck this technically savvy cannot recall what mode you want to drive in. My wife's 2016 Acura knows her modes and mine based on the key. Once set, it stays that way until you manually change it.
Hopefully the engineers are taking note of this type of complaint/recommendation. I think it could be cured pretty easily through an OTA update.

And you're right - no reason it can't be set to start at the same. But for reference, my X5 would always start in the default drive setting, which wasn't "sport" :mad:

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
awesome truck, but you guys are right it reverts to normal on restart. So now every drive I have to turn dial to eco (accidently engaging 4wd on the way there) turn off the start stop button AND go into my menus to turn off outlets so my loud inverter fan doesn't run for no reason. Getting ridiculous. (1st world problems)
Kind of crazy to have a "checklist" of things to do every time you get in! Might as well add a call to ground control to make sure you are clear for take off.

OP
OP

dantheman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 XLT powerboost
Looks like it asks if you want to stay in sport mode on start up too. At least in this new video at 8:20):

It will ask you if you want to resume the previous mode you were in if the truck was only off a few min. Fine if your in and out getting gas or something. Anything more, it will reset to normal mode.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
It will ask you if you want to resume the previous mode you were in if the truck was only off a few min. Fine if your in and out getting gas or something. Anything more, it will reset to normal mode.
Oohhh no wonder why we were getting inconsistent answers on this behavior.

BMWtoF150

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 3.5 Eco
Occupation
Retired, Part Time Consultant
Kind of crazy to have a "checklist" of things to do every time you get in! Might as well add a call to ground control to make sure you are clear for take off.
It already sounds like the landing gear retracts when the running boards go up.:)

Sponsored

SFD9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor, 2021 f-150 on order
Occupation
Self
Agree!

On my Explorer ST If you’re in ‘slippery’ mode, it will (usually) be there on a restart, but will never go back to ‘Sport’ if you turn it off. My Moms Navigator will stay in a 4x4 auto or manual mode if you restart it.

Have any of you who have been in a ‘21 F-150 for a while determined if it will stay in 4wd modes when you start up?

Ford really needs to have an option screen ‘switch’ to have default settings on start, or revert to last selected. My current checklist Is getting old fast, and if I forget I cuss the thing out every time. ?
-seat memory 3
-sport mode on
-auto start/stop off
-auto hold on
-call tower for clearance delivery
-steering wheel heat off (this needs to be on a timer, taking the chill out is fine but who wants it on continuously??)

YzermanTopShelf

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lead Foot Lariat Powerboost
Agree!

On my Explorer ST If you’re in ‘slippery’ mode, it will (usually) be there on a restart, but will never go back to ‘Sport’ if you turn it off. My Moms Navigator will stay in a 4x4 auto or manual mode if you restart it.

Have any of you who have been in a ‘21 F-150 for a while determined if it will stay in 4wd modes when you start up?

Ford really needs to have an option screen ‘switch’ to have default settings on start, or revert to last selected. My current checklist Is getting old fast, and if I forget I cuss the thing out every time. ?
-seat memory 3
-sport mode on
-auto start/stop off
-auto hold on
-call tower for clearance delivery
-steering wheel heat off (this needs to be on a timer, taking the chill out is fine but who wants it on continuously??)
In my experience it stays in whatever 4wd mode you had it in when you turned the truck off.

JimboJames

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ram 1500 ecodiesel 2x4
Occupation
construction subcontractor
It already sounds like the landing gear retracts when the running boards go up.:)
this literally scared me and caught me off guard the first time

dman17

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
I know with my 18 F150 I was able to purchase a "Drive Mode Memory Module" for around $50 and it took about a hour to install
I had the same module in my 18 worked great

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
The freakin' recirculate won't even stay on if you key off the truck! You expect Ford to let you stay in the same drive mode?

When I first got the truck, I would change into Eco mode EVERY time I drove it as I left my neighborhood. Once, I overshifted into one of the 4X4 only modes and it turned the part-time four wheel drive on while I was driving. I had to stop the truck and turn it off to get it back into 2WD. I was going straight and at low speed, so it was no big deal.
Sponsored