Sponsored

Can you set a default drive mode?

dantheman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 XLT powerboost
I just got my 21, and I keep having to change it from normal to eco for driving around town. Is there a way to make that the default mode?
Sponsored

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
I just got my 21, and I keep having to change it from normal to eco for driving around town. Is there a way to make that the default mode?
I've been wondering the same thing.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
You can’t, at least not to my knowledge.

It’s a little awkward to me when you rotate the knob to get to maybe “Sport”mode and you by chance rotate to “slippery” mode on the way and the hubs lock to 4H. I’m not really liking how that works.

Sponsored

gadiedrick

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCrew long bed hybrid
Occupation
retired USN Chief Petty Officer
Also, do you have to select a mode every time you start the vehicle or does it default to the mode it was last in when it was last turned off?

MidnightM

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 SCREW Sport 5.0, 2021 F-150 SCREW Sport
My 18 has always required mode selection after each startup. I just leave it in normal unless it’s inclement weather.

OP
OP

dantheman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 XLT powerboost
Also, do you have to select a mode every time you start the vehicle or does it default to the mode it was last in when it was last turned off?
The problem is it always defaults to Normal. With the powerboost it will stay on electric quite a bit more when your in eco mode, which is great around town. Its not a bad thing, but I am just lazy and would prefer it just hold the mode till I change it.

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
The problem is it always defaults to Normal. With the powerboost it will stay on electric quite a bit more when your in eco mode, which is great around town. Its not a bad thing, but I am just lazy and would prefer it just hold the mode till I change it.

Understood. I'm just EcoBoost, but the desire is the same....go to my preferred mode and stay until I tell you to change.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
For those of you that have your trucks already, can you switch the truck to Sport mode while it is in motion, or will that hurt the transfer case? Can the truck be in motion while a “4x4 Shift in Progress” is happening?

I have a Sport mode on one of my other vehicles and it’s nice to just be able to turn it on and off as needed.

Sponsored

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
For those of you that have your trucks already, can you switch the truck to Sport mode while it is in motion, or will that hurt the transfer case? Can the truck be in motion while a “4x4 Shift in Progress” is happening?

I have a Sport mode on one of my other vehicles and it’s nice to just be able to turn it on and off as needed.
Yes, you absolutely can switch to sport mode while the vehicle is in motion. That’s typically how I change drive modes.

What I don’t like about that is when I want “sport” mode and I rotate the knob it’ll sometimes momentarily land on “slippery” mode or another mode that activates 4H and the hubs will lock.

The truck can be in motion when the “4x4 shift in progress” is happening.

dman17

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
I know with my 18 F150 I was able to purchase a "Drive Mode Memory Module" for around $50 and it took about a hour to install

YzermanTopShelf

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lead Foot Lariat Powerboost
I’ve found that the behavior on startup is a bit inconsistent. If I have the car in eco mode when I turn it off, then I will be asked if I want it in eco mode when I restart. The one exception I’ve found is when I do a remote start with the app. With a remote start it always goes to normal mode and there isn’t a prompt asking if I want eco mode

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Yes, you absolutely can switch to sport mode while the vehicle is in motion. That’s typically how I change drive modes.

What I don’t like about that is when I want “sport” mode and I rotate the knob it’ll sometimes momentarily land on “slippery” mode or another mode that activates 4H and the hubs will lock.

The truck can be in motion when the “4x4 shift in progress” is happening.
Thanks for the info. I was trying to read through the online manual last night as well and it wasn’t the easiest to decipher. Good to know. There are sometimes you just need to have the Sport mode for a few seconds and stopping to change would become arduous very quickly, and kinda defeat the purpose.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for the info. I was trying to read through the online manual last night as well and it wasn’t the easiest to decipher. Good to know. There are sometimes you just need to have the Sport mode for a few seconds and stopping to change would become arduous very quickly, and kinda defeat the purpose.
Sure, no problem.

The previous gen trucks had a button mounted low on the console shifter that you pressed to cycle through the drive modes. That could be done on-the-fly as well.
Sponsored