Sponsored

Can you get a secondary battery for the engine?

Viper

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, 2022 F-150 Limited Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Teacher for the Military
As the title says can you squeeze a second battery on the V6 twin Turbo Limited F150?
Sponsored

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Not in the engine bay. Maybe if you fabricated a box and reroute the wires to the bed of the truck or inside the cab/under the seat?

Jaym69

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150
Occupation
Investigator
As the title says can you squeeze a second battery on the V6 twin Turbo Limited F150?
If you are referring to a second 12v battery in a Powerboost, I am not sure why there would be a need.

The 12v only starts the truck and powers minimum electronics while truck is off. I believe the hybrid battery runs everything once the truck is running or ready to drive.

MitchAK

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Supercrew 4x4 XLT Sport Powerboost
Occupation
Energy
Did you end up looking into this further or buying the second battery?

Millionvill3

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
Business owner
I installed a 40ah Lpf behind the seat. Removed the jack and auxiliary battery under rear passenger seat. The pos and neg leads just connected to the new battery. 5100 seeies fits nice. I have a powerboost with 7.2k. Deleted bms and I charge at 14.6v all the time.

Ford F-150 Can you get a secondary battery for the engine? C14CDAF4-DF8A-40CA-82A0-BFD328136B53

Sponsored

DavidB

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
Occupation
Retired
James, with the more powerful battery, are you seeing added time in electric driving mode?

Millionvill3

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
Business owner
James, with the more powerful battery, are you seeing added time in electric driving mode?
Unfortunately not. The electric motor in the transmission operates on 48v I believe. I am looking into adding capacity to that system however I haven’t figured out the chemistry of lithium or the cpu algorithm for it yet.

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
I'm planning to get the Decked drawers (https://decked.com/products/decked-ford-f-150?variant=31141615175&year=2021) install a dual battery system and wire 4 spare batteries in parallel in the corner storage wells as my secondary battery.

Point being, you don't have to add 1 big battery. You can add multiple smaller batteries wired in parallel (properly fused of course) to replicate one big battery if space is an obstacle.

I'll be adding lots of extra 360° lighting, two-way radios, etc... and I want plenty of on-demand power.

Since I wanted a "Truck" instead of a "Land Yacht" the on-board generator was one of the (many) options I was forced to give up.

Last edited:

DavidB

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
Occupation
Retired
Unfortunately not. The electric motor in the transmission operates on 48v I believe. I am looking into adding capacity to that system however I haven’t figured out the chemistry of lithium or the cpu algorithm for it yet.
You might want to look at some of the youtube video's for trawlers and catamarans. Owners have much experience in running the house from 48v systems, recharged with solar, wind , and regeneration hydro props. A lot of the sailboats and catamarans have replaced their 29-75hp diesel engines with electric motors.

RexTX

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Mustang Shelby GT, 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid
Occupation
retired
My 2008 Escape Hybrid has a 360-volt battery. This truck has a 48-volt to do the same work, in a vehicle twice as heavy?

Sponsored

OpsWest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 PowerBoost
I installed a 40ah Lpf behind the seat. Removed the jack and auxiliary battery under rear passenger seat. The pos and neg leads just connected to the new battery. 5100 seeies fits nice. I have a powerboost with 7.2k. Deleted bms and I charge at 14.6v all the time.
based on this the truck has 3 batteries (Starting, aux and the power boost battery under the bed)?

I’ve added a fridge and was looking to install a house battery and run it on 12v vs 120ac and it sounds like Aux battery upgrade is way to go. Thanks for the info

Millionvill3

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
Business owner
Good info. I will get into forscan and study it to see what I can learn. So I stand corrected on my original “assumption”. ? sorry y’all.

clfaye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Hybrid
Hi James - What do you mean by deleting BMS? Did you remove the BMS that came with your lifePo4 battery or did you remove the BMS that is attached to the negative post of the starter battery? And - why remove that BMS?

bigskydu

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 6.5' Powerboost
I'm planning to get the Decked drawers (https://decked.com/products/decked-ford-f-150?variant=31141615175&year=2021) install a dual battery system and wire 4 spare batteries in parallel in the corner storage wells as my secondary battery.

Point being, you don't have to add 1 big battery. You can add multiple smaller batteries wired in parallel (properly fused of course) to replicate one big battery if space is an obstacle.

I'll be adding lots of extra 360° lighting, two-way radios, etc... and I want plenty of on-demand power.

Since I wanted a "Truck" instead of a "Land Yacht" the on-board generator was one of the (many) options I was forced to give up.
Do you have your truck yet? ?
Sponsored