Sponsored

Can you check if it recall/TSB has been done by inputting your VIN?

Coyote Gamecock

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 f150 XLT 5.0
Occupation
Healthcare
I'm sure the dealership can but is there a place we can go to the Ford website put in our van and see if a particular service has been performed?
It doesn't mention it on the Carfax.

Specifically talking about the reprogramming of the throttle body and the new dipstick as it pertains to the oil consumption issue. This is on the 2020 5.0. Not sure if the TSB was even for the 2020... I know this is a Gen 14 forum.

Just bought the truck and I'm afraid the oil is going somewhere. I'm getting ready to look at the oil pan too.
Sponsored

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
I'm sure the dealership can but is there a place we can go to the Ford website put in our van and see if a particular service has been performed?
It doesn't mention it on the Carfax.

Specifically talking about the reprogramming of the throttle body and the new dipstick as it pertains to the oil consumption issue. This is on the 2020 5.0. Not sure if the TSB was even for the 2020... I know this is a Gen 14 forum.

Just bought the truck and I'm afraid the oil is going somewhere. I'm getting ready to look at the oil pan too.
Probably not. If you have a user account on Ford.com, you can go into your vehicle dashboard, scroll down to service history and and then read the entries. But the entries aren’t very detailed—probably not detailed enough to get the information you want. And I don’t know which model years are covered even with this level of mediocre detail.

If you don’t want to go to the dealer, you might want to ping @rugedraw. He has access to PTS, which is the same service dealers use, and your full service history should be there.

OP
OP
Coyote Gamecock

Coyote Gamecock

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 f150 XLT 5.0
Occupation
Healthcare
@rugedraw Thanks! I'll probably delete that post once you've seen it.

So I did just park it on level ground and recheck after I took it for a hard run. The oil hasn't dropped too awful much since 5 days ago when I bought it. I was parked on a little bit of a hill before.

Bad news is I did a remote start while standing by the tailpipe and I do see a puff of blue smoke just briefly.

So I parked it on the street, nice and level and put my cardboard box underneath to make sure I'm not leaking.

Going to recheck the oil now and top it off. I'll watch it for a month or two.

Might end up being the shortest time I ever owned a vehicle!

Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
See attached. Your truck has no history at all at any Ford dealer. Aside from me right now, the only time your VIN was pulled up in PTS was back in November of last year. It seems like you just connected the Fordpass app because I can only see a few days worth of connected history. Your truck is throwing several DTC's. It seems like something is causing communication issues between your modules. The codes in the attached picture show up both days your truck has been reporting to Ford's servers. I am not a tech; it could be nothing, but it sure does not look normal to me.

Last edited:

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
OP
OP
Coyote Gamecock

Coyote Gamecock

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 f150 XLT 5.0
Occupation
Healthcare
Once you've grabbed the docs, lmk if you want me to delete them as your VIN is in there.
Thank you so much I got everything.

You can delete it.

I copied the other post to say that but I went ahead and deleted it too since it also had my VIN 😄😄

I think I'm pretty sure I know exactly why it's throwing all those miscommunication codes. I've made a couple of post here since I signed on the other day about how this truck had never been signed up for Ford pass... It had never been connected to Wi-Fi and had never had any updates done to sync3.

Once I realized that I guess on Wednesday I started fixing it. Problem is these downloads take a long time using my house Wi-Fi from the driveway. And I don't see anyway to make the Wi-Fi stay locked on once you've taken the key out of the truck and walked away so you basically have to sit in there and nurse it through all the updates. I only had so much time to do that but I finally got through three different updates.

Those updates have to install so it disconnects everything... all the screens go blank for a few. I'm assuming that's what all the error codes were about. Truck is running perfectly and all the electronics are working perfectly now that I've got it updated.

And yes there was never a Ford pass account made for the truck until I did just the other day.

So I have to assume nothing was done in regards to this little update but I don't know that that service bulletin is for the 2020 models I'll have to call Ford and find out.

I did just had about a half a quart of oil in that brought it pretty much to full. Also in just a couple hours sitting on level ground it doesn't seem like it's lost any since I bought the truck on Tuesday so that's good. And I didn't have any drips on the cardboard under the oil pan.

So maybe it's not as bad as I feared.

Still had just a little blue smoke out of the exhaust though.

I'll be watching it.

Thanks for your help!

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Thank you so much I got everything.

You can delete it.

I copied the other post to say that but I went ahead and deleted it too since it also had my VIN 😄😄

I think I'm pretty sure I know exactly why it's throwing all those miscommunication codes. I've made a couple of post here since I signed on the other day about how this truck had never been signed up for Ford pass... It had never been connected to Wi-Fi and had never had any updates done to sync3.

Once I realized that I guess on Wednesday I started fixing it. Problem is these downloads take a long time using my house Wi-Fi from the driveway. And I don't see anyway to make the Wi-Fi stay locked on once you've taken the key out of the truck and walked away so you basically have to sit in there and nurse it through all the updates. I only had so much time to do that but I finally got through three different updates.

Those updates have to install so it disconnects everything... all the screens go blank for a few. I'm assuming that's what all the error codes were about. Truck is running perfectly and all the electronics are working perfectly now that I've got it updated.

And yes there was never a Ford pass account made for the truck until I did just the other day.

So I have to assume nothing was done in regards to this little update but I don't know that that service bulletin is for the 2020 models I'll have to call Ford and find out.

I did just had about a half a quart of oil in that brought it pretty much to full. Also in just a couple hours sitting on level ground it doesn't seem like it's lost any since I bought the truck on Tuesday so that's good. And I didn't have any drips on the cardboard under the oil pan.

So maybe it's not as bad as I feared.

Still had just a little blue smoke out of the exhaust though.

I'll be watching it.

Thanks for your help!
There are no open recalls for your truck. Otherwise, they would be listed on the .pdf that I just deleted.

OP
OP
Coyote Gamecock

Coyote Gamecock

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 f150 XLT 5.0
Occupation
Healthcare
There are no open recalls for your truck. Otherwise, they would be listed on the .pdf that I just deleted.
Okay wait I got you now. So that service bulletin for the throttle body programming problem was for 2021 and newer I suppose.

So potentially what I have is just the normal high RPM oil consumption The coyotes are known for.

I'll rest on that I suppose. If it's not losing more than a quart every 3 to 5,000 mi I'll be fine with that. If I see it going much quicker than that I'll probably go get myself a Gen 14!
Sponsored