Sponsored

Can Pro Power charge camping trailer while towing?

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost

Traveler57

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT FX4 3.5L EB, 6.5'
That is an excellent point! The trailer SHOULD have a full relay built in such that if plugged into shore power, it charges the trailer battery off the 120V-AC => 13.4V-DC converter, and physically isolate the trailer 7-pin battery line from the truck. I do this all the time in my street, I leave the trailer hitched and plugged to the truck 7-pin, and I plug 120V AC in to my house to pre-cool the fridges overnight.

Perhaps older trailers do not have the proper isolation between the trailer's converter and 7-pin charge line, which would likely blow a fuse?
Yes, you should use a VSR (Voltage Sensing Relay) in the trailer. it allows the trucks 12V to connect to the trailer only when the truck is running. when truck is off, the VSR disconnects the 12V. otherwise you risk draining the truck's battery while sitting. When connected to 120VAC, my trailer's onboard charger not only charges the trailer batteries, but the VSR allows connection to the truck's battery and charges it too. But yes, it is a 4-stage smart charger so it regulates the charging, depending on a dead battery versus just a trickle charge level.
Now maybe some people here can tell me if the "modern" F150 has something similar already built into their tow wiring circuits? I heard that the 12V Aux on the plug is not powered unless the truck "senses" that a trailer is connected. but does this same capability protect your truck battery when trailer is left connected with the truck off? My dealer was useless, with no answers.