Sponsored

Can I tint headlight/taillight housings?

TruckGuy2020

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Military
one of my biggest disappointments with the 2021s is the loss of the black appearance package and the smoked out headlight/taillight option.

does anyone know if there is a good way to safely tint the headlights/ taillights? I’m going to get ceramic tint done on the windows so I wonder if they could just do the lights as well. Obviously I would not want the brightness of the lights themselves to be significantly degraded. Has anyone looked into any aftermarket kits for this?
Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
one of my biggest disappointments with the 2021s is the loss of the black appearance package and the smoked out headlight/taillight option.

does anyone know if there is a good way to safely tint the headlights/ taillights? I’m going to get ceramic tint done on the windows so I wonder if they could just do the lights as well. Obviously I would not want the brightness of the lights themselves to be significantly degraded. Has anyone looked into any aftermarket kits for this?
You can with many options, I’m sure. Check your local state law, though. Altering or tinting the headlights is usually a traffic violation in most states.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
You can with many options, I’m sure. Check your local state law, though. Altering or tinting the headlights is usually a traffic violation in most states.
Like that has stopped anyone anywhere from putting high intensity lasers on their vehicles.
even the red/blue/green tint should be illegal.
Most places, it is illegal to have your high beams on within the city limits.

Personally, I think law enforcement should look at this a bit closer.
If I can get fined $250 for a seat belt violation (a very long time ago) and the only person that would affect is me and my insurance carrier (Which is nothing more than legal gambling). There is absolutely no reason why those that exchange their headlights for retina burning lasers into oncoming traffic, endangering everyone they greet should get the same treatment or worse.

Mind you, I fully get customizing, but I'm talking everyday vehicles on the hiways at night.
There is some guy that lives not too far from me (and I am very rural) that occasionally is behind me on my way to a hiway---over 1/2 mile behind me and he is blinding me and lighting up the interior of the pickup---no excuse for that. Imagine what he does to oncoming traffic.

Rant over today--I hate super bright lights.

OP
OP
TruckGuy2020

TruckGuy2020

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Military
do the smoked out lights on the 2020 black appearance package not meet the legal criteria for certain states then? I guess I’m curious about why those headlights are fine and tinting a clear headlight might not be. That doesn’t make sense to me, it doesn’t say that package can only be driven in certain states. I’d only be looking to tint the light housings to the same level as the standard sold headlight housings.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Like that has stopped anyone anywhere from putting high intensity lasers on their vehicles.
even the red/blue/green tint should be illegal.
Most places, it is illegal to have your high beams on within the city limits.

Personally, I think law enforcement should look at this a bit closer.
If I can get fined $250 for a seat belt violation (a very long time ago) and the only person that would affect is me and my insurance carrier (Which is nothing more than legal gambling). There is absolutely no reason why those that exchange their headlights for retina burning lasers into oncoming traffic, endangering everyone they greet should get the same treatment or worse.

Mind you, I fully get customizing, but I'm talking everyday vehicles on the hiways at night.
There is some guy that lives not too far from me (and I am very rural) that occasionally is behind me on my way to a hiway---over 1/2 mile behind me and he is blinding me and lighting up the interior of the pickup---no excuse for that. Imagine what he does to oncoming traffic.

Rant over today--I hate super bright lights.
I get the rant, the traffic statute book/section in most states is usually massive and details nearly EVERYTHING about vehicle regulations you can think of, and even more that might not occur to the average person.

In my state, most lift kits, headlights/and light bars, extra neon lighting, and the majority of common aftermarket add-ons could be considered a violation in some way or another. The high-beams lights, and tinting you mentioned would be too.

Does that stop people? Not really. Those accessories might go unchecked/unnoticed for a while, if at all. But, technically, if the did get stopped it could be a ticket.

Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
do the smoked out lights on the 2020 black appearance package not meet the legal criteria for certain states then? I guess I’m curious about why those headlights are fine and tinting a clear headlight might not be. That doesn’t make sense to me, it doesn’t say that package can only be driven in certain states. I’d only be looking to tint the light housings to the same level as the standard sold headlight housings.

It is HIGHLY unlikely that Ford, or any other manufacturer would put out a vehicle for sale that is not fully compliant per statute/state regulations across all fifty states. (unless you get into all of that California emissions stuff).

If I'm understanding you correctly the 2020 Lariat Sport package blacks out the trim of the headlight housing versus the silver or reflective trim of other F-150s, hence a sportier look. It does not do anything to tint or cover the actual headlight lense or cover the headlight beam. See below:

Ford F-150 Can I tint headlight/taillight housings? maxresdefault

Now if you did something like this, the headlight beam would likely not project out for the necessary distance as per statue and may give police a reason to stop you.
Ford F-150 Can I tint headlight/taillight housings? il_570xN.2119438271_mr6k

Last edited:
OP
OP
TruckGuy2020

TruckGuy2020

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Military
It is HIGHLY unlikely that Ford, or any other manufacturer would put out a vehicle for sale that is not fully compliant per statute across all fifty states. (unless you get into all of that California emissions stuff).

If I'm understanding you correctly the 2020 Lariat Sport package blacks out the trim of the headlight housing versus the silver or reflective trim of other F-150s, hence a sportier look. It does not do anything to tint or cover the actual headlight lense or cover the headlight beam. See below:

maxresdefault.jpg

Now if you did something like this, the headlight beam would likely not project out for the necessary distance as per statue and may give police a reason to stop you.
il_570xN.2119438271_mr6k.jpg
that makes sense, so their smoked out headlights/taillights still have clear covers, but the interior of the light is darker to give it that black appearance?

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
that makes sense, so their smoked out headlights/taillights still have clear covers, but the interior of the light is darker to give it that black appearance?
Correct, I think the Ford logos on the grille and tailgate are also like that.

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
More than likely, the F150 with the Tremor package will have the blacked out features that you listed.

With that being, I’d be surprised if this popular package option doesn’t return to the F150 in the 2022 model year or later in the year for the 2021 model.

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
All factory lenses have always been clear, just the housing underneath was blacked out. On my old 2009, I put mine in the oven so that I could take the light apart, paint the housing inside black, then seal them back up. lol. The hours of labor I’ve spent between lights and painting badges etc. I could have had a part time job.
Sponsored