• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Can I make do with the standard range battery? Do I want to?

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer
Ok, so XLT ER is officially out of my price range. Well... ER is out of my price range. Don't know whether it's because of battery availability or they just want to make more money, but whatever the reason, they decided it's not for me. Thanks Ford. But I digress.

If I want a lightning, it's looking like it will have to be Standard Range. My biggest question now is whether that's feasible for me. I wanted the ER battery for several reasons:
1. more range for the trips where it's needed, obviously.
2. less wear-and-tear on the battery; could do a smaller percentage charge/drain cycle for daily use.
3. More towing capacity, ability to make trips the SR battery may not be able to do while towing.
4. resale value
5. less range-anxiety during winter months.

There are a handful of trips a year where the range would be helpful; particularly my lumber runs and camping trips. But I've already scoped out EV chargers on the way to these destinations, and I do believe it would still be possible without much headache.

I definitely don't need the range on a daily basis. I don't need to tow 10,000; most will be around 5k. It seems the max tow package gives the same cooling on the SR and ER battery, which is attractive to me for battery maintenance reasons.

I'm thinking the SR is still a do-able option for me; albeit not quite what I expected for the cost. It does seem pretty limiting, however, when compared to a comparably priced PowerBoost. It just seems like there's going to be a bigger sacrifice than I was expecting by making the jump to an EV truck.

What's everyone else's opinion on the SR battery?
Sponsored

Hamtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
KIA Sorento, Tesla X
Occupation
Lawyer
Ok, so XLT ER is officially out of my price range. Well... ER is out of my price range. Don't know whether it's because of battery availability or they just want to make more money, but whatever the reason, they decided it's not for me. Thanks Ford. But I digress.

If I want a lightning, it's looking like it will have to be Standard Range. My biggest question now is whether that's feasible for me. I wanted the ER battery for several reasons:
1. more range for the trips where it's needed, obviously.
2. less wear-and-tear on the battery; could do a smaller percentage charge/drain cycle for daily use.
3. More towing capacity, ability to make trips the SR battery may not be able to do while towing.
4. resale value
5. less range-anxiety during winter months.

There are a handful of trips a year where the range would be helpful; particularly my lumber runs and camping trips. But I've already scoped out EV chargers on the way to these destinations, and I do believe it would still be possible without much headache.

I definitely don't need the range on a daily basis. I don't need to tow 10,000; most will be around 5k. It seems the max tow package gives the same cooling on the SR and ER battery, which is attractive to me for battery maintenance reasons.

I'm thinking the SR is still a do-able option for me; albeit not quite what I expected for the cost. It does seem pretty limiting, however, when compared to a comparably priced PowerBoost. It just seems like there's going to be a bigger sacrifice than I was expecting by making the jump to an EV truck.

What's everyone else's opinion on the SR battery?
You’re asking yourself all the right questions. I have a Model X.

The transition to an EV requires a change in how you plan long trips. There is no mental change for normal day to day driving.

For long trips you will become more reliant on the trip computer. In the Lightning you will enter your destination and it will tell you where you need to stop if necessary.

The big difference with EV driving is that you do not charge the battery to full like you do with a gas tank. You charge to give yourself the range you need.

Over time your range anxiety goes away. I am almost close to not needing my trip computer to plan long trips.

It sounds like the ST range will be fine for you because you are already planning ahead.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
My suggestion, if you want to go EV now, would to get the SR, finance with Ford Options for 3 years (or 4 years if you want) and don't worry about battery health (charge as much as you need). Then give it back to Ford at the end, unless the resale is well above the residual.

You biggest pain points are going to be in the winter (plan for a 40% range hit) and towing.

Sklith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance, Energica Ego
Buy whichever trim/battery size your finances can pay for. I don't think it's a good idea to stretch outside what you're willing to pay just for the battery. In order to afford the Lightning, I'll have to trade my Model 3 Performance in.

I'm getting the big battery because I take long road trips with my family. If I had another vehicle for trips, I'd probably go for the standard battery.

I visit my mother often, and she lives 50 miles away. I'm considering installing an EVSE at her house so I can always have a lot of range.

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
Eng
We swapped to an EV earlier this year when we got a Mach-E, and we've found that range only matters for road trips. Slow charging to 80% 2 or 3 times a week isn't hard on the battery, and our charge never drops below 50% for daily commuting. For road trips, the hit isn't as bad as you would think, because at highway speeds the extra range is only 15-20%, so if you say driving 12 hours per day is a long trip, then you are adding 1 stop to the day. If you can't deal with the charging stops for a road trip, then a rental car every now and then for road trips is far cheaper than an ER battery that doesn't really get you that much extra range anyways.

Sponsored
OP
OP

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Energy Engineer
My suggestion, if you want to go EV now, would to get the SR, finance with Ford Options for 3 years (or 4 years if you want) and don't worry about battery health (charge as much as you need). Then give it back to Ford at the end, unless the resale is well above the residual.

You biggest pain points are going to be in the winter (plan for a 40% range hit) and towing.
Yeah, I'll have to look at Ford Options.

I have to tow in the winter, though that trip is shorter. But towing + winter range hit is really what's giving me the most "range anxiety." Currently (and this may change in the future), I'm averse to charging to 100%. But I suppose once or twice a year probably isn't that big a deal.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Yeah, I'll have to look at Ford Options.

I have to tow in the winter, though that trip is shorter. But towing + winter range hit is really what's giving me the most "range anxiety." Currently (and this may change in the future), I'm averse to charging to 100%. But I suppose once or twice a year probably isn't that big a deal.
How far is the winter tow? If it is very cold (and especially if there is snow/slush on the road), you could be looking at at a 50 or 60 mile range while towing at highway speeds.

For reference, I took our Mach-e GT out grocery shopping the other day at 28F and icy/slushy roads (no preconditioning) and it averaged 1.5 miles / kWhr which is about a 50% range hit by itself.

OP
OP

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Energy Engineer
How far is the winter tow? If it is very cold (and especially if there is snow/slush on the road), you could be looking at at a 50 or 60 mile range while towing at highway speeds.

For reference, I took our Mach-e GT out grocery shopping the other day at 28F and icy/slushy roads (no preconditioning) and it averaged 1.5 miles / kWhr which is about a 50% range hit by itself.
It would be about 50 miles. The trailer for that trip is between 3-4000lbs, but it's a tall box trailer. I'm fine going 60-65 on the highway if needed.

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
I really wanted the ER for the performance. Sadly I don't "need" to go from 0-60 in 4.5 seconds. There was a certain bragging right in saying I have the fastest production F-150 to date...

The SR will work for everything I need except the occasional road-trip and we can take another car for that.

I'm disappointed that the ER is priced so high but I can live without it.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
It would be about 50 miles. The trailer for that trip is between 3-4000lbs, but it's a tall box trailer. I'm fine going 60-65 on the highway if needed.
You should be OK - especially if you precondition before you go and charge to 100%

Sponsored

Sklith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance, Energica Ego
You should be OK - especially if you precondition before you go and charge to 100%
Preconditioning while plugged in helps a lot in the winter. I wonder if the Lightning will have a heat pump, I know the Mach-E doesn't.

OP
OP

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Energy Engineer
Preconditioning while plugged in helps a lot in the winter. I wonder if the Lightning will have a heat pump, I know the Mach-E doesn't.
I don't believe it does. You don't even get seat heaters until XLT Premium for $66,000. Don't even think I can swing that.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I mean, yeah, you can make it work but there will be some hassles in the winter especially if you're towing somewhat regularly. I'd imagine it will make a 50 mile trip while towing in the winter but you won't be able to go anywhere once you get there unless you have a DC fast charger nearby or can let it charge for a few hours before heading out. It's mildly annoying but manageable.

Resale is the bigger concern IMO. If you keep it for more than 3 years it will lose a lot of value. You will have some range degradation plus there will probably be a small handful of reasonably priced new trucks around 300 miles on the market. Even used ER F-150s will be pushing the price on SRs down. People buying the XLT SR are going to take a huge depreciation hit, it won't be nearly as bad for the Pro.

lancersrock

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Pilot, 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 fusion se
Occupation
Field Engineer
I'm in a similar situation with more concern about my daily drive. The ER was a must for me as i drive 145 miles round trip a day on average with with no charging at work and currently no chargers on my route (rural Nebraska/Iowa). I also travel 1-2 times a month 200 miles in the same conditions. Winter is my main concern as i think i would have to be above 80% every day no matter what to make it.

I only tow a small trailer (3000 lb max) 3-4 times a year but used the bed alot on my last truck, The range anxiety has me considering a Mach E or Model Y/3 for now and getting a gen two when maybe theres a 350 mile XLT for 60ish. I can but a beater truck to get me by with my other needs if needed.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I mean, yeah, you can make it work but there will be some hassles in the winter especially if you're towing somewhat regularly. I'd imagine it will make a 50 mile trip while towing in the winter but you won't be able to go anywhere once you get there unless you have a DC fast charger nearby or can let it charge for a few hours before heading out. It's mildly annoying but manageable.

Resale is the bigger concern IMO. If you keep it for more than 3 years it will lose a lot of value. You will have some range degradation plus there will probably be a small handful of reasonably priced new trucks around 300 miles on the market. Even used ER F-150s will be pushing the price on SRs down. People buying the XLT SR are going to take a huge depreciation hit, it won't be nearly as bad for the Pro.
That is why I suggested Ford Options - if the depreciation is bad, let Ford take the hit (with the agreed to buy back value).
Sponsored