• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Can F150 Lightning EV carry a camper?

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Was looking at a short bed camper for the F150EV but they all weight about 3k# and, if I read the specs correctly, the Maximum Payload Capacity of the Lightning is 2k#.

Am I reading the specs correctly?

Wanted the camper and be able to tow a 5k# boat trailer.

Is that going to be doable?
Sponsored

Last edited:

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Was looking at a short bed camper for the F150EV but they all weight about 3k# and, if I read the specs correctly, the Maximum Payload Capacity of the Lightning is 2k#.

I think that would be beyond the rated capacity of any F150 (gas or electric).

That seems more like F250 or 350 territory.

Villageidit

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ram 1500, 2008 Honda Element,
Occupation
Retired

If you want the camper and towing I would get a one ton truck. Beyond any 1/2 ton truck capability and could be at the limits for a 3/4 ton.

shikataganai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
100 series Land Cruiser, Pacifica Hybrid
There are some out there that are quite light, but even with the 2k payload (vs 1,800 on the extended range and less yet for the heavier fancy trims) once you add in a driver and a passenger you're right at the limit.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Wow, are they really 3k lbs? That's how much a 16-foot Airstream *trailer* weighs.

Sponsored

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
Is this a camper with all of the storage and kitchen stuff below and a tent above? Like an overlander camper?

If so, 3k certainly.

OP
OP
EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
If you want the camper and towing I would get a one ton truck.
I was looking at these based on the cargo capacity of the F150EV.

8 Best Truck Campers for Half-Ton Trucks

How does the payload capacity affect the tow capacity? Is it subtracted? The boat is 5k#, so half the towing capacity but will deduct 500# from the payload for the tongue weight.

Being able to overnight in the truck while towing would mean I could do short hops and even use Level 2 chargers that would take all night to recharge the truck though the plan is roughly 100 mile a day using the fast DC chargers.

Might have to look at a deluxe tent bed type camper. Hot shower, AC, microwave would be key amenities. Could use the 2nd row in the truck for air conditioned and heated sleeping area. Electric will be silent, not like leaving the engine running. Front seats the "office".

Found this on the cargo capacity, tow capacity etc.

https://www.readingbody.com/calculating-your-trucks-maximum-payload-and-towing-capacity/

Last edited:

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I was looking at these based on the cargo capacity of the F150EV.

8 Best Truck Campers for Half-Ton Trucks

How does the payload capacity affect the tow capacity? Is it subtracted? The boat is 5k#, so half the towing capacity.

Being able to overnight in the truck while towing would mean I could do short hops and even use Level 2 chargers that would take all night to recharge the truck though the plan is roughly 100 mile a day using the fast DC chargers.

Might have to look at a deluxe tent bed type camper. Hot shower, AC, microwave would be key amenities. The truck plug in could run them.
When looking at payload vs. towing it is all about tongue weight. 10% to 15% of the trailer weight should be on the hitch (so 500 to 750lbs for your 5,000lbs trailer). That leaves you with 1250lbs to 1500 lbs of payload to work with (assuming the standard range battery).

OP
OP
EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Now looking at pop top campers which are in the 1k# range. They seem focused on kitchen and bed while my main concern would be the shower and toilet. The do sell a shell version I could customize.

https://fourwheelcampers.com/model/...mid-size-trucks/swift-model-base-model/build/

After that the tent versions. This one with the "annex" looks good.

https://fourwheelcampers.com/model/swift-model-pop-up-truck-camper-leader-mid-size-trucks/

Lots of research. Have to start looking at the professional camper sites.

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
YouTube as well. I am sure you'll find some crazy stuff ?

Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
3,000 lbs really? I'm no expert in campers, but
https://campergrid.com/best-campers-for-ford-f150/
Ford F-150 Lightning Can F150 Lightning EV carry a camper? 1626795821454

I'm sure there are more elaborate and heavier campers, but I think that you should be able to find one that meets your needs and still complies with lightning limitations.

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
If your looking for a truck camper with solid walls, cooking, sleeping, toilet (and possibly shower) that you can drop the legs and drive out from under (to use truck for getting to site seeing places, or grocery runs once you have a camping spot) then you will need at least a F-250 or probably a 350 dually.

The weights in the chart above are generally dry weights. So you need to add for water, propane, gear, clothes, food, driver and passengers and any options you included on your base truck to get the total payload.

So add 200-300lbs for water, propane, food and gear. Then add 300-500lbs for passengers (2 adults at least, maybe kids?).

Now, if your good with mostly canvas and just a place to sleep in the bed for a night or two, then there are many options.

OP
OP
EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I'm sure there are more elaborate and heavier campers, but I think that you should be able to find one that meets your needs and still complies with lightning limitations.
Great. I must have misread the wits. Those look like it will work.
Sponsored