Sponsored

Can anyone tell me what this is (part failure on axle)......?

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
@Ford Motor Company --- How is the wheel is being held onto the axle after the bolt head snaps off. Are we really relying on the press fit and some kind of seal or pressed on bearing within the rotating assembly?
Sponsored

ARegularJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2 Order: 22 Lariat 500A/3.5 EB/FX4/Max Tow/+
Does anyone have the torque specifications for those axle retaining bolts? ML3Z19S426A? (BIG ASSUMPTION those are the ones that apply to Max Tow Axles that are being built today)

ARegularJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@Ford Motor Company --- How is the wheel is being held onto the axle after the bolt head snaps off. Are we really relying on the press fit and some kind of seal or pressed on bearing within the rotating assembly?
I would presume that the only thing, really, that's holding that hub in place is the brake caliper assembly which would likely cause undue wear on the Rotor, Pads, Caliper and Caliper mount.

ARegularJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I just visited the local Ford parts department. 3/4 float axle is unchanged from MY21 so it appears Ford isn't rapidly looking for a fix. Additionally, Ford shows the axle and stub as one piece. Parts book still shows the weak retainer bolt separately? Why? If the parts are not serviceable, why even list that bolt? If the axle and stub are considerred one part, why is the bolt even required? If the axle and stub are one part, why are so many trucks being put into dealer impound waiting for two parts sold as one?

The mind boggles.

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
I just visited the local Ford parts department. 3/4 float axle is unchanged from MY21 so it appears Ford isn't rapidly looking for a fix. Additionally, Ford shows the axle and stub as one piece. Parts book still shows the weak retainer bolt separately? Why? If the parts are not serviceable, why even list that bolt? If the axle and stub are considerred one part, why is the bolt even required? If the axle and stub are one part, why are so many trucks being put into dealer impound waiting for two parts sold as one?
This axle quite likely doesn't need a redesign. I could be just batch of bolts with bad heat treat, or over-torque on assembly. I'm pretty sure we have yet to see a 22 with the failure.

Also, Ford regularly lists parts in the public catalog as assemblies, when you can get the parts separately using resources like the Service Manual. I remember seeing someone who posted the repair instructions, thought it looks like I failed to bookmark or save.

Sponsored

ARegularJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This axle quite likely doesn't need a redesign. I could be just batch of bolts with bad heat treat, or over-torque on assembly. I'm pretty sure we have yet to see a 22 with the failure.

Also, Ford regularly lists parts in the public catalog as assemblies, when you can get the parts separately using resources like the Service Manual. I remember seeing someone who posted the repair instructions, thought it looks like I failed to bookmark or save.
Interesting,. Well the gentleman behind the parts counter showed me his view and it clearly showed the axle and hub as one part and number along with the axle retainer bolt with its own part number. The drawing and parts list made it pretty clear.

RE: No issue on MY22, I hope you are correct. I've read when some folks have experienced the failure in the first 10K and I have about 2K to drive after I pick mine up in IA.

And I think it's a crime that Ford charges a subscription to owners for service manuals. They were expensive enough through Helm years ago but at least that felt like value.

jofo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost 502A Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Engineer
My axle was replaced several months back because I had a loud creaking noise any time it was out under load. I brought it in and they were able to reproduce the sound right off. The dealer contacted ford engineering and without hesitation, we’re told to replace the axle immediately. I was one of the early ones, so I was lucky in the respect that the part came in earlier than planned. It was to take a month but only took a couple of weeks. I forgot to mention that I have a 21 PB Lariat with max tow.

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
My axle was replaced several months back because I had a loud creaking noise any time it was out under load. I brought it in and they were able to reproduce the sound right off. The dealer contacted ford engineering and without hesitation, we’re told to replace the axle immediately. I was one of the early ones, so I was lucky in the respect that the part came in earlier than planned. It was to take a month but only took a couple of weeks. I forgot to mention that I have a 21 PB Lariat with max tow.
Do you know the manufacture date?

afroken3130

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 502a 3.5EB FX4
Does anyone have the torque specifications for those axle retaining bolts? ML3Z19S426A? (BIG ASSUMPTION those are the ones that apply to Max Tow Axles that are being built today)

I couldn't find anything official, but it is a 10.9 M12 fastener. Most torque tables put that at 85-90 ft/lbs. That what I used for mine.

Sponsored

ARegularJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I couldn't find anything official, but it is a 10.9 M12 fastener. Most torque tables put that at 85-90 ft/lbs. That what I used for mine.
Thank you

Kit

First Name
Kit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Hybrid PB
Occupation
Marine
Add.us to the list. MY21, PB 4x4. Have done 0 towing. Noticed “the sound” at the 15k mark. Picked up in aug last year. Truck being held for now. MTF…

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 powerboost
3 weeks ago i had my 21 PB at the dealer for this exact issue. It took them 3 weeks to get it back to me after originally ordering 2 passenger side axles vs 1 for either side. Then after driving the truck for 1 day, the axle failed again. so my truck is back sitting at the dealer.

GadgetB1

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150
Occupation
Software Engineer
Well I just got the call I have the same issue, passenger rear, 21 PB, Job 1 truck (think May-June 21 Build date) ~16k miles at the time I first noticed the noise, ~18k miles at the time of service. Don’t judge me to harshly but I was busy lol. I didn’t have any wobble, only sounded like a dragging brake, only made the squealing noise under light braking or acceleration. Heavy breaking and the noise would stop and some times I wouldn’t even hear it on acceleration. So I thought it was a dragging brake or stuck caliper that wouldn’t fully retract. I was wrong, lol. They have the axle but the bolt won’t be in until next week. Beau Townsend Ford in Vandalia, Ohio has been great!!

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
3 weeks ago i had my 21 PB at the dealer for this exact issue. It took them 3 weeks to get it back to me after originally ordering 2 passenger side axles vs 1 for either side. Then after driving the truck for 1 day, the axle failed again. so my truck is back sitting at the dealer.
Hello there! I'd like to take a closer look at your truck's axel issues. Could you please send over a private message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer to get started?
Sponsored