Sponsored

Can Active Park Assist 2.0 be installed when parts are available?

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
When I sold my headlights I spent $80 just on boxes and packing materials so they wouldn’t break
Because you're a rational human being. I've got a box 2 people could sit in overflowing w/ airbags and bubble wrap just from things that have arrived. It's great for packaging or moving. It's also good for about 15 minutes of playtime for the kids before they tire of popping big bubbles.
Sponsored

5.0Screw22

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum 5.0 Stage 2 Whipple
So, do I need FDRS to do a 360 cam calibration, or can this done with Forscan or another method?

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Waiting to find a clearly defined lot where I won't look like a creeper trolling around for 10 minutes.
If you have a shopping mall nearby, many of those have closed or shut down huge sections, so usually have lots of open lots to use for calibration.

PatchManager

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew
Occupation
Firmware Engineer
Do you need to disconnect the battery when uninstalling and installing the module?

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Do you need to disconnect the battery when uninstalling and installing the module?
I didn’t. Either way, if you’re referring to the 12v battery, remember that there are two of them in that part of the system.

Sponsored

PatchManager

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Firmware Engineer
Ok. So I’m not a EE.. but the 21 IPMA has a chip at the location circled

if you notice the 23 does not the cip is label

NV7424-0P8N0- This is a 4 channel LIN transciever.. So guess ho many sensors dont recieve LIN 4 so here is proof the IPMA is different and missing a chip

32BFC13B-9A4E-416B-82F6-8211CACBBC5D.jpeg

C00E2872-4B18-4708-AB7F-34FCC5160A60.jpeg
Did you or has anyone attempted to solder the missing chip on and see if that would be sufficient to enable park assist? Do you think that might work or are there other unseen differences like software?

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Did you or has anyone attempted to solder the missing chip on and see if that would be sufficient to enable park assist? Do you think that might work or are there other unseen differences like software?
I believe he said it was just too damn small to get a good handle on it and solder it in

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I avoid this thread because...... Well, I need to resist.
Park Assist was the ONLY delete on my beloved luxury yacht and I don't care about the feature.

But that hitch assist magic trick?
It's haunting me.

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I avoid this thread because...... Well, I need to resist.
Park Assist was the ONLY delete on my beloved luxury yacht and I don't care about the feature.

But that hitch assist magic trick?
It's haunting me.
And it works! I’ve used it a half-dozen times in the last few weeks.

It doesn’t always line up under the hitch 100% the first time every time, but most times it does. And even when it doesn’t the first time, it gives you the opportunity to try again without going through the full initialization process, and usually works the second time.

(I use the park assist feature fairly often as well, since parking spaces are tight in suburbia. Very glad that I was able to install it!)

PatchManager

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Firmware Engineer
I believe he said it was just too damn small to get a good handle on it and solder it in
The soldering part is not an issue for me. I would gladly solder the new part in if I thought there was a possibility of it working, but I don't want to waste my time doing it. The chip that is missing from the newer modules doesn't contain software, so there are usually two approaches. The chip is either detected and functionality is enabled or disabled by the system based on the presence of that chip. Or, the software that communicates with that chip is coded so that it knows the chip isn't there. I one case, adding the chip would work and in the other it wouldn't. I might just try it and see.

Sponsored

DcnPat

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Jeep Wrangler 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
IT
The soldering part is not an issue for me. I would gladly solder the new part in if I thought there was a possibility of it working, but I don't want to waste my time doing it. The chip that is missing from the newer modules doesn't contain software, so there are usually two approaches. The chip is either detected and functionality is enabled or disabled by the system based on the presence of that chip. Or, the software that communicates with that chip is coded so that it knows the chip isn't there. I one case, adding the chip would work and in the other it wouldn't. I might just try it and see.
The experiment previously done was to set all the as built settings to turn on park assist. This resulted in a DTC indicating 4 sensors were not functioning. The chip that is missing is a Quad interface chip that would allow the 4 sensors to talk to the module. One attempt was made to solder in a chip but the coating on the circuit board is too tenacious and the pads wouldn't take solder. The "path of least resistance" seems to be ebay a module and swap them. It is all documented in this thread.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I am certain there are more qualified people to attempt the soldering. I have no issues knowing my limitations. I try but I also know when its out of my league. The chip is very small. I have a microscope and can do what I need done.

Many super intelegent and capable people on this forum.

I would be fairly confident to say if the chip were installed it would work. I cant say with 100% confidence because I havent done it and I dont know of anyone that has.

The ultimate solution is the Chip. The easiest is the IPMA.

Replacing the IPMA in these trucks has no consequences. You wont lose update potential. If it were another module I would be less enthusiastic about replacing it.

5.0Screw22

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum 5.0 Stage 2 Whipple
If you want a few IPMAs without the chip, I feel like a few people contributing to this thread "may" have a spare lying around. :unsure: Probably for a low price. 😆

bossbolognese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 platinum 701a on order
Guess I'm gonna order one from the seller that doesn't use bubblewrap. The others are a fair bit more expensive.
I tried to read through most of the thread, but is there a step by step guide on the programming and all that? I don't have FDRS so I'd have to figure out a way to get that unless it can be done with Forscan.

C. Mays

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lariat; Subaru Crosstrek
Occupation
Project Management
I didn't add active park assist on my order, but now with "hitch assist".. I want to check into this. I have IPMA ML3T-14G647-FU, other than pulling it out and opening it up, is there a way to find out if it has the chip? Early December 21 build. MY22 502A Lariat. Will need to add the 2 front and 2 rear side sensors and check for wiring is on my list. I have active 2.0.
Sponsored