Camping Out of a 5 Ft Bed?

Steve5472

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Expedition Stealth Performance
Does anyone have any ideas on how to comfortably sleep in a 5 foot bed? I'm 6 ft tall and have a 2022 Tremor on order and love the idea of putting a cap on it and using it for camping out of. Having said that, a 5 foot bed is obviously a foot too short. Anyone have any tricks to make this possible or am I S.O.L.? I'm not really interested in the tents that go on the top as I don't want to have to set up and tear down every time I move.
Sponsored

jj4567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
…open the tailgate and let your feet hang out.

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 302A FX4 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired Systems Integrator
It's actually 5 1/2 foot. So, you have 6" more than what you thought. I think if you sleep corner to corner you will have plenty of room with the 5 1/2 bed.

OP
OP

Steve5472

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Expedition Stealth Performance
It's actually 5 1/2 foot. So, you have 6" more than what you thought. I think if you sleep corner to corner you will have plenty of room with the 5 1/2 bed.
Ah I had a brain fart when I posted this...I knew it was 5.5 feet lol but that's a good point re sleeping on a diagonal....think that's the only viable option. Thanks!

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E, 2021 F-150

Sponsored

Jaylars

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 5.4 XLT SCREW and 2021 5.0 XLT SCREW
Occupation
Military

ilkhan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Escape Limted
Does anyone have any ideas on how to comfortably sleep in a 5 foot bed? I'm 6 ft tall and have a 2022 Tremor on order and love the idea of putting a cap on it and using it for camping out of. Having said that, a 5 foot bed is obviously a foot too short. Anyone have any tricks to make this possible or am I S.O.L.? I'm not really interested in the tents that go on the top as I don't want to have to set up and tear down every time I move.
I have camped out my '17 5.5' bed F-150 before, also 6' tall. Bed tent with tailgate down. It works, but its a little cramped. I won't buy another 5.5' bed truck again, though.

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 5.0L 302A Carbonized Gray
Occupation
Retired US Navy; currently DND
I have camped out my '17 5.5' bed F-150 before, also 6' tall. Bed tent with tailgate down. It works, but its a little cramped. I won't buy another 5.5' bed truck again, though.
Just curious why you’d choose a larger bed? I’m focused on 5.5 beds mostly due to keeping the size and turning radius a bit down and still have 4DR vehicle for the family.

As for camping, here’s a cool project done on a Ridgeline to give an idea:

ilkhan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Escape Limted
Just curious why you’d choose a larger bed? I’m focused on 5.5 beds mostly due to keeping the size and turning radius a bit down and still have 4DR vehicle for the family.

As for camping, here’s a cool project done on a Ridgeline to give an idea:
Because I think Id use that extra 14.5"? Not just for sleeping, but for overall utility.

Sponsored

jofo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost 502A Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Engineer
I’ve been somewhat obsessing about this since I got my Lariat PB late last Summer. Having pro power on board opens up a lot of doors for domesticated comfort camping. I have the Bed Rug liner in mine and it is comfy as hell to lay on. I’m only 5’9” so with one of those cab tents and the tailgate open, I think my wife and I could stretch out quite comfortably. Being able to trek out to some remote area while being comfortable and self-sufficient is intriguing. All I need now is a water tank, which is something I’m going to look into.

travisN000

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost CCSB
On my previous truck I used a soft topper canopy and a screened tarp from slumber jack with the tailgate down; added the bedrug for comfort, right before I rolled the truck down a hill and replaced it with the F150.. :censored:

Ford F-150 Camping Out of a 5 Ft Bed? Y09Zt_aj-Mg_NTYTGLATirP1=w1506-h1129-no?authuser=0

Last edited:

Draugauth

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 FX4
Occupation
Disabled Veteran
While it technically would be considered a roof top tent, I'd check out Overland AT. They have a topper that has the tent integrated. 2 latches it pops up and when you're done or going to move it's 2 latches to lock it down. It's what I'm going to do.

Otherwise as someone else already said sleep diag. That 5.5' is why I didn't get a Tremor even though I would have loved the factory lift and option front torsen differential.

Reactions: J-C

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Best bet is to use the 5 ft box to carry a folding camp cot and a tent. My 2022 has the supercrew and the 6.5 box but I would still sleep outside.

What has worked very well for me in the past was to build a platform frame for the bed and put on top 3/4" plywood boards and then a 2" thick closed cell foam pad covered in heavy vinyl. The frame allowed me to put gear and food in plastic bins and slide them under the platform.

Now I use this from Hanger Metals (truck-tool-box.com). The platform supports a 1,000 lb load. I removed it from my Chevy 2500 truck and now it is going in my new F-150.

Ford F-150 Camping Out of a 5 Ft Bed? Truck-tool-box.JPG