• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

"Camping Mode" ?

Galactus55

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Chevy Volt, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Anyone know will the lightning have "Camping Mode" ?
So the truck can be used as a camp site power source and still be locked and secured.
Sponsored

Marshall

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Software
So the truck can be used as a camp site power source and still be locked and secured.
I don't know that I have heard of it being referred to as a "camping mode", but there are power outlets in the bed, so I don't see why not.

The point of those outlets, at least per Ford's advertising, is that they can be used to power things on a jobsite, but it is reasonable to believe that you might want your cab locked in that use case as well.

corradoborg

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Tacoma S-Runner; F-150 Lightning order
Occupation
Corporate Physical Security Manager
Yes, but it's just called "Pro Power Onboard." The various outlets can be switched on or off through the Ford app regardless of the status of the door locks.

CoyoteJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning SR, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3, Zero DS
Occupation
Database Developer
Yes, but it's just called "Pro Power Onboard." The various outlets can be switched on or off through the Ford app regardless of the status of the door locks.
For existing vehicles with Pro Power Onboard, do you know if the circuit breaker trips or the power draw is suddenly removed whether or not you get a notification?

corradoborg

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Tacoma S-Runner; F-150 Lightning order
Occupation
Corporate Physical Security Manager
For existing vehicles with Pro Power Onboard, do you know if the circuit breaker trips or the power draw is suddenly removed whether or not you get a notification?
I do not know. Anyone with Powerboost experience want to chime in?

Sponsored

GolfR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR PB
I get a notification in FordPass if the ground fault trips. If you want to know if pro power is on or off you have to open the app and look.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
there's a video out there where two men use their Hybrid Ford to 'try' to see what happens when you overload the vehicle - it simply shuts off the power, then you reset it again in the truck.

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
There's not really a camper mode, although there should be.

Some things I've done:

1. Use Forscan to turn off Double Honk.
2. Purchased the "backup noise sound delete" device from @WillB17

Note for the above: It's a unique brand of embarrassment, pulling into whisper quiet state park at night, putting your truck in reverse, and blaring out that stupid UPS truck noise. Then following it up with the stupid "double honk" your truck does when you close the driver door while it's still running.

3. Turn on Generator Mode.
4. Plug in devices. If I recall correctly, the truck needs at least some kind of power draw, even if it's a brief bit of power at a regular interval, to keep it in generator mode. I have a dual motor air mattress I sleep on in my tent that constantly refreshes the air with a low speed motor. I run it all night while plugged into my truck. Also, all my devices are plugged into a power strip and charge off it.
5. Manually turn off all exterior lights.
6. Turn off radio so 12'' screen is off
7. Reduce internal lights to minimum brightness.
8. Cover instrument display with something since it won't shut all the way off. I use a towel, although a clean shirt will do. If you're feeling crafty, you could probably make your own form fitting cover out of cardboard.

I put my keyfob in a faraday pouch like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Faraday-TICONN-Premium-Protector/dp/B07MDF5TX9

Just in case I'm too close to my truck and preventing easy access inside of it.

The above basically makes your truck as quiet as possible and it should not leak any lighting. For night time camping, if you're just maintaining something that has a constant and smooth power draw, then your truck will power it all night long. Tripping a breaker is pretty hard unless you are powering something like a refrigerator or an AC, that surges power everytime the compressor turns on. If you have the 7.2 this probably not a problem (though you should definitely do a test run). If you have the 2.4 generator, then you're going to want to install a soft start device...and also test it.

WillB17

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
There's not really a camper mode, although there should be.

Some things I've done:

1. Use Forscan to turn off Double Honk.
2. Purchased the "backup noise sound delete" device from @WillB17

Note for the above: It's a unique brand of embarrassment, pulling into whisper quiet state park at night, putting your truck in reverse, and blaring out that stupid UPS truck noise. Then following it up with the stupid "double honk" your truck does when you close the driver door while it's still running.

3. Turn on Generator Mode.
4. Plug in devices. If I recall correctly, the truck needs at least some kind of power draw, even if it's a brief bit of power at a regular interval, to keep it in generator mode. I have a dual motor air mattress I sleep on in my tent that constantly refreshes the air with a low speed motor. I run it all night while plugged into my truck. Also, all my devices are plugged into a power strip and charge off it.
5. Manually turn off all exterior lights.
6. Turn off radio so 12'' screen is off
7. Reduce internal lights to minimum brightness.
8. Cover instrument display with something since it won't shut all the way off. I use a towel, although a clean shirt will do. If you're feeling crafty, you could probably make your own form fitting cover out of cardboard.

I put my keyfob in a faraday pouch like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Faraday-TICONN-Premium-Protector/dp/B07MDF5TX9

Just in case I'm too close to my truck and preventing easy access inside of it.

The above basically makes your truck as quiet as possible and it should not leak any lighting. For night time camping, if you're just maintaining something that has a constant and smooth power draw, then your truck will power it all night long. Tripping a breaker is pretty hard unless you are powering something like a refrigerator or an AC, that surges power everytime the compressor turns on. If you have the 7.2 this probably not a problem (though you should definitely do a test run). If you have the 2.4 generator, then you're going to want to install a soft start device...and also test it.
I wonder if I should prototype an instrument panel light shield for generator mode. Or a bypass switch to disable the instrument panel

CoyoteJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning SR, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3, Zero DS
Occupation
Database Developer
Thanks for the info and the tip on the Faraday pouch. I ordered an XLT which won't have phone as key, so I will need it.

Edit: Actually, I guess I am wrong. The 311A package is just keyless entry which would indicate I have to press the remote to open the truck. The 312A package has approach detection where I would need the Faraday pouch.

Last edited:

Sponsored

travisN000

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost, 2017 Ram 1500
You can also just lock the key fob inside the truck using the keypad on the drivers door (press the two bottom keys simultaneously; just make sure you know the combo to open;)..

This also solves the problem of the horn beeping every time you close the door with the vehicle left on

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
You can also just lock the key fob inside the truck using the keypad on the drivers door (press the two bottom keys simultaneously; just make sure you know the combo to open;)..

This also solves the problem of the horn beeping every time you close the door with the vehicle left on
My big issue on this is that someone can still break open your window and fish out the key. They could even straight up drive off. Not as likely at a campsite...but it's the principal of the matter. At least with the key on my person, they are gonna need to open the tent where we can have a nice civil discussion about me giving them my keyfob.

Ken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
there's not an easily accessible setting to turn off the lock horn? Most cars have that now and I would hate to go back to having it

travisN000

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost, 2017 Ram 1500
there's not an easily accessible setting to turn off the lock horn? Most cars have that now and I would hate to go back to having it
Only using forscan. Its not accessible on the sync4 UI, currently.

Ken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
Only using forscan. Its not accessible on the sync4 UI, currently.
not familiar with forscan, is that something I can just ask the dealership to do at delivery?
Sponsored