Sponsored

Camper towing question - do I need antisway bar for 3300 LBS camper?

BILDOZER

First Name
BILL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat, 2017 Ford Escape
Occupation
Management
Simple answer is no. I tow a similar configuration as you with no issue at all.
Sponsored

Daltonn

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Improving safety when towing your travel trailer is a cinch if you know how to install a sway bar on a travel trailer. Look for bolts under the car’s subframe and remove these. Get the subframe reinforcement or brace and slide it between the chassis and the subframe. Make sure to support the differential housing. Install the sway bar, ensuring its U-shaped curve points to the car’s rear. Grab the sway bar bushing strap, support the sway bar, and align the holes. Insert the bolts and tighten them using a torque of 35 pounds if the fasteners are small. If the bolts are large, you can apply 100 pounds of torque.

Last edited:

sbreech

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 STX, Lead Foot Grey
Occupation
Systems Administrator
I'm in a similar situation. I tow a 2900# (empty) NuCamp Tab400 with my '21 F150 supercrew short bed. Do I "NEED" an anti-sway device? No. Does it make the ride smoother? Yet. I tow in some very high wind areas, and i will attest that this takes about 90% of the felt sway out of the ride. The Curt anti-sway bar is super easy to use, light weight so anyone can utilize it, and costs less than $100. It takes less than 2 minutes to attach each time and tighten up.

Like they say,
it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Ford F-150 Camper towing question - do I need antisway bar for 3300 LBS camper? Sway

{tpc}

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 302a High SuperCrew 3.5 EB MaxTow
These friction sways work great on smaller trailers. Before I had an integrated one, and I was pulling a shorter 5k trailer, I used 2 of these, one on each side. Just one of them mounts upside down. They still work great though, and 2 (at least in my case) is better than 1.

The integrated ones are cool and all, but they don't allow for on the fly adjustment. Mine (and I think a lot of these are similar) works on a ball bearing and detent type of deal, so that when that bearing is starting to move out of the detent (do to sway or anything else), the natural reaction is to push it back in.

Of course, this can happen without sway do to road conditions, passing vehicles, etc. Its hard to get the passengers to understand that the feeling they might feel when its working is just that...its working. And I think it takes more to dial it in.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
It takes only a minute to download the current Ford trailering guide and then you have the information at your finger tips.

Ford recommends a weight distributing hitch for trailers over 5,000 lbs in total.

etrailer.com is a great outfit and a good source of reliable information and parts at low prices.

Sponsored

redline

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150, BMW X5, BMW M3,
Occupation
Sales
I use a blueox swaypro and it has built in sway control and no harder to hook up than your average wdh. It is Total game changer , I love towing with this hitch

kevdog0710

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
Union Carpenter
I use a blueox swaypro and it has built in sway control and no harder to hook up than your average wdh. It is Total game changer , I love towing with this hitch
Do you turn off the sway control?
I find it annoying that I need to turn it off every time I stop for gas. I have the Equlizer 4 point sway/wdh

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
You need a WDH when the tongue weight exceeds the receiver limit for running without one. It's in the specs in your manual or towing guide and may even be right on your hitch assembly. FWIW, you can buy whatever belt/suspenders you want to keep your mind at ease and have fun on the trip instead of worrying. You choose!

FWIW, I am the belt and suspenders type. When appropriate, mitigate the known risks as best you can and then go have fun!

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Do you turn off the sway control?
I find it annoying that I need to turn it off every time I stop for gas. I have the Equlizer 4 point sway/wdh
I have one as well, and I also really like it. I've never turned off the integrated sway control, and have never noticed any issues with having two sources of sway dampening.

redline

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150, BMW X5, BMW M3,
Occupation
Sales
I have one as well, and I also really like it. I've never turned off the integrated sway control, and have never noticed any issues with having two sources of sway dampening.
I personally have not towed with this combo yet... as my truck is only a month old and its winter in Canada so no need to tow a camper anywhere,,,

Given how the blueox hitch system works i would think that i would eliminate most sway before the truck even would know that there is a problem, therefore i dont see the two systems conflicting with each other.

But once spring hit i will have some first hand knowledge on this combo.

I know what it did to the towing experience without the fancy truck stuff and it was night and day difference
Sponsored