Sponsored

California Intercooler modification experience?

stonefly

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Platinum S Crew Powerboost
Howdy,
I'm looking to enhance towing capabilities. I note pulling 7600lb trailer with my PB Platinum that temps can go high over long climbs from time to time.

There has been significant discussion of intercooler exchanges here, most experience seems to be those not in CA.
Does anyone have any experiences to share WRT having done it? CARB-compliant replacement or other?
What are the effects on smog testing (functional v. visual inspection)?
Thanks for any further insights...
Sponsored

Rodoni

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Platinum
Occupation
FF/P
Howdy,
I'm looking to enhance towing capabilities. I note pulling 7600lb trailer with my PB Platinum that temps can go high over long climbs from time to time.

There has been significant discussion of intercooler exchanges here, most experience seems to be those not in CA.
Does anyone have any experiences to share WRT having done it? CARB-compliant replacement or other?
What are the effects on smog testing (functional v. visual inspection)?
Thanks for any further insights...
I mean you have at least 7 years before you have to smog right? It used to be that new cars didn’t start biennial smogs for 7-8 years after purchase

Last edited:

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Serious recommendation: I would do some research on a tune using E-15 up to E-30.

snapper9601

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 4x4 Lariat 500A SCrew 2.7EB 145"
^^ that is cool (no pun intended).

Prior to my '22 F150, it's been a long time since I bought a brand new vehicle. I didn't know about what Rodoni said. So I looked. Right from the DMV website-
Smog Abatement Fee
If your vehicle is 8 years old or less, you do NOT have to have your vehicle smog checked every 2 years. Instead, you'll pay an annual $20 smog abatement fee for your first 8 years of registration. After these first 8 years, you will be subject to the regular smog check program.

On another website I found:
The smog abatement fee is usually:
  • $20 for models that are six years or newer,
  • $25 for models that are seven or eight years.
I guess I'll find out this August when I renew my registration.

Out of curiosity, I just looked at the Livernois website. They have one intercooler available for the 3.5EB. It states right on that page, ITEM NOT FOR SALE IN CALIFORNIA. There are ways to get around that, but the OP's original questions remain.
And I recall a thread regarding oil catch cans. I know that is not the subject of the OP's questions, but the issue regarding visual inspection applies just the same. I'm darn sure for California the statement is:
No modification of the intake system or smog equipment is legal.
Catch can systems aren't performance enhancing, but they are included as they are installed in the PCV system.

Sponsored

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
IIRC, others have removed the shutters in front of the intercooler to maximize airflow.

If this option works it could be a viable option for you. I doubt the visual inspection is to that level of detail.

OP
OP
stonefly

stonefly

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Platinum S Crew Powerboost
1. It had been 17 years since new truck, never saw the info re: abatement fees in lieu of smog check. Looks like I have a bit of time till I need to think about any of that.

2. A tune consultation would seem to be in order.

3. I'd considered removing the louvers, but I'm a bit leary of removing stuff when I don't know my backside from a teapot (who knows what I will break and potential warranty effects). I've followed the threads on intercoolers/louvers and will consider it.

4. Failing all of that, I will consider the pep boys mister, although I'm not sure where the tank will mount... ;)

Since original post, I've had the opportunity to tow several times post-replacement of the leaking Exhaust Valve Coolant regulator and I've seen only one time in which the coolant temp was observed at 225 degrees F; immediate reduction in temp as I reached summit.
Either it is performing better or I'm learning to drive in a manner that minimizes high-temp potential.

Thanks for the help...

Rodoni

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Platinum
Occupation
FF/P
in addition to the 8 year smog abatement, CA still has 13-18 or so (cant remember exactly) counties that don't even require biennial smog checks. As long as the vehicle is registered in one of those counties, you only have to smog when you transfer ownership. To aide in further research, one of these counties is Amador
Sponsored