First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 XL
Occupation
Retired
I owned a Titan prior to my Ford and the Titan had the calibration procedure in the owners manual. I tried the three circles in both directions this morning and it did nothing. So it is not the calibration to fix the compass. If it was it would work on al trucks and be included in the manual. Also you have to enter the zone you live in in order to calibrate and that is given in owners manual but not the F150 manual.
Sponsored

Last edited:

fmdog44

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 XL
Occupation
Retired
Is just everyone waiting for a 'fix'?

Or has anyone except Monesti actually tried a calibration technique?
There is no calibration procedure. I just got off the phone with the service mgr. at my dealership and he said bring it in and they will try to fix.

OP
OP

dicedealer7

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 STX FX4
Anyone here with compass issues also having issues with the trans sensor not reading correctly?
My trans temp gauge doesn't always work. Maybe 1-20 trips. but turning the truck off then on fixes it.

Taco40

First Name
ND
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
2021 STX with about 200 miles on it, trans temp gauge stopped working at about 120 miles. Turing on and off the truck doesn't help.

Sponsored

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
For those with Compass problems, has anyone tried to reset the sync module? After that, I would look for a loose connection between the GPS antenna and the APIM.

gaffshot747

First Name
Ariel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 STX 4X4
Anyone here with compass issues also having issues with the trans sensor not reading correctly?
Ditto...compass and Tran temp works when they feel like it.
Had a recent automatic update and both worked for a couple of days and I thought it was resolved but it wasn’t.

Missmy3/4ton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
300a XLT 5.0 4x4
For those with Compass problems, has anyone tried to reset the sync module? After that, I would look for a loose connection between the GPS antenna and the APIM.
I tired that a few hundred miles ago...Didn't work for me. I believe its a software issue. There's far too many people with issues with BOTH the compass and trans sensor for it to not be one, IMO. Or maybe they're some how related on a module or something?

Here's how to reset SYNC incase anyone else wants to try it.
  1. Settings tab on the center touchscreen.
  2. Select General Settings.
  3. Scroll down and select Reset.
  4. Touch Master Reset button.
  5. Follow the prompts on the screen to complete the reset.

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
I tired that a few hundred miles ago...Didn't work for me. I believe its a software issue. There's far too many people with issues with BOTH the compass and trans sensor for it to not be one, IMO. Or maybe they're some how related on a module or something?

Here's how to reset SYNC incase anyone else wants to try it.
  1. Settings tab on the center touchscreen.
  2. Select General Settings.
  3. Scroll down and select Reset.
  4. Touch Master Reset button.
  5. Follow the prompts on the screen to complete the reset.
Yea, it’s starting to sound more like an IPC problem. I haven’t looked on forscan to see if that is a module that can be reset.

Monesti

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 stx
Occupation
Transportation
I had the same problem with my 2021 compass would show north on the 8 inch display and west on dash found an empty parking lot and did 3 slow circles and drove home when I started my truck the compass works
[/QUO
Is just everyone waiting for a 'fix'?

Or has anyone except Monesti actually tried a calibration technique?
compass stopped working wife took it to dealer they couldn’t fix it

Sponsored

fmdog44

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 XL
Occupation
Retired
Mine started working three days ago. Bought my truck on 4/24/21 the compass worked for a day then quit for a week then worked again for a day then quit for about three weeks and now it has worked for three straight days.
UPDATE: Well that did not last long. Today the compass display reads N and the cluster display reads E. I went through the manual and there is not one word bout the compass

Last edited:

nossiron

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL, 2020 Explorer XLT
Occupation
IT
I've scoped this site for a while, primarily for my 2013 F150 STX I just traded in for my 2021 but I literally created an account so I could post on this thread in response to others suggestions and
Monesti's post about running some circles in a parking lot. I have had my 2021 F150 XL for a few months and this week I had it in the dealer to have my seat cushion replaced (felt nick picky about it but the new one was totally worth it) and they said they had to disable some airbags to install it. The reason I mention that is that I am not sure if they had to disconnect the battery in the process but I noticed on my way home that the compass was not working after. I did not notice this behavior before since owning the truck, so I'm not 100% sure the replacement was the cause or not. However, after reading through this thread, and dealing with a stuck (dash always says S and Sync screen always says N) compass for a couple days I figured the parking lot circles were worth a try. On my way home yesterday I stopped in an empty parking lot, did 4 (i think others suggest 3 but i was trying to be thorough) counter-clockwise, slow circles. Parked and shut the truck off (opening the door to get everything to shut down). Started it back up, compass still stuck. I did 4 more circles, slowly, clockwise and shut it off again. Started truck up, issue remained. I figured, oh well, I'll deal with this another day. Got up this morning and started the truck and the compass worked right away, both on the dash and the sync screen. Obviously others have said theirs have been intermittent so I will post an update in the future, especially if it stops again. I hope that helps someone!

TL;DR - 4 slow circles counter-clockwise, shut truck off. 4 more circles clockwise, shut truck off. Drove home and left overnight. Started truck in morning, compass fixed.

fmdog44

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 XL
Occupation
Retired
I've scoped this site for a while, primarily for my 2013 F150 STX I just traded in for my 2021 but I literally created an account so I could post on this thread in response to others suggestions and
Monesti's post about running some circles in a parking lot. I have had my 2021 F150 XL for a few months and this week I had it in the dealer to have my seat cushion replaced (felt nick picky about it but the new one was totally worth it) and they said they had to disable some airbags to install it. The reason I mention that is that I am not sure if they had to disconnect the battery in the process but I noticed on my way home that the compass was not working after. I did not notice this behavior before since owning the truck, so I'm not 100% sure the replacement was the cause or not. However, after reading through this thread, and dealing with a stuck (dash always says S and Sync screen always says N) compass for a couple days I figured the parking lot circles were worth a try. On my way home yesterday I stopped in an empty parking lot, did 4 (i think others suggest 3 but i was trying to be thorough) counter-clockwise, slow circles. Parked and shut the truck off (opening the door to get everything to shut down). Started it back up, compass still stuck. I did 4 more circles, slowly, clockwise and shut it off again. Started truck up, issue remained. I figured, oh well, I'll deal with this another day. Got up this morning and started the truck and the compass worked right away, both on the dash and the sync screen. Obviously others have said theirs have been intermittent so I will post an update in the future, especially if it stops again. I hope that helps someone!

TL;DR - 4 slow circles counter-clockwise, shut truck off. 4 more circles clockwise, shut truck off. Drove home and left overnight. Started truck in morning, compass fixed.
Is it still fixed?

nossiron

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Is it still fixed?
Nope, I was just going to post, took it out earlier today, was not working. If it continues I plan to try the calibration thing again later this week just to gather some info. My transmission temp gauge seems to be working, never noticed it wasn't. Not sure how important that is, just that some others posted about the two being related.

nossiron

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Follow up, was not working yesterday morning again on a short trip. Took another trip yesterday afternoon and it was working again, and also working this morning...
Sponsored