First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT SCrew SB, FX4 with Tow
Occupation
Teacher
I've read a lot about payload, but there's one detail I'm trying to nail down.... what is determined as the starting point before calculating payload? For example, I know the passengers and any cargo in the cab need to be subtracted from the payload, but does that mean seats and console are already accounted for? What about the tank of gas? 36 gal of gas is pretty significant so does it reduce payload? I know I need to add my WDH into the mix, but is the trailer hitch that's built in accounted for?

I'm probably over-analyzing but I'd rather ask a stupid question than make a stupid assumption! TIA :)
Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
It's your truck as delivered and full of gas. Sometimes there's an allotment for the driver (poor method for those who do it). Just read the sticker.

Any other accessories you've added since purchasing also get subtracted from your payload. It's pretty easy to fill up the truck and drive to a scale and weigh it. Your payload is the delta of actual weight vs max weight on sticker. When it doubt, take it to the scale if you're worried about the sticker value.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
The starting spot, is the Ford Body Builder's Layout book.

In that, you find your base truck configuration.
Which cab, which bed, engine and gear ratio. That will give you the GVWR and the max payload (with asterisks!) for that configuration.

Then you switch over to the Ford ESource book and start tallying up the options you plan and subtract those weights from max payload.

Some will not be listed and you'll have to roam around looking for weights that members have furnished.

I got within 10 lbs. of mine doing that.

Good luck.

Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
Your truck as delivered including the weight of a full tank of gas creates the payload number. Every truck is a different payload depending on options. The trailer tongue weight is usually the biggest factor for weight, a #6000 trailer could create up to #900 pounds of tongue weight.

OP
OP
mrtull

mrtull

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT SCrew SB, FX4 with Tow
Occupation
Teacher
It's your truck as delivered and full of gas. Sometimes there's an allotment for the driver (poor method for those who do it). Just read the sticker.
I am starting with the sticker, but I'm taking the RV up to a mountain property. I'm unloading everything, then going back down for cement 4x4s and t posts. The property is 45 mi from the nearest gas station and I don't know where the nearest weigh station is, so I'm trying to do as accurate a guesstimation as I can.

Sponsored

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The starting spot, is the Ford Body Builder's Layout book.

In that, you find your base truck configuration.
Which cab, which bed, engine and gear ratio. That will give you the GVWR and the max payload (with asterisks!) for that configuration.

Then you switch over to the Ford ESource book and start tallying up the options you plan and subtract those weights from max payload.

Some will not be listed and you'll have to roam around looking for weights that members have furnished.

I got within 10 lbs. of mine doing that.

Good luck.
Or take it to a scale and weight it with a full tank of gas.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
Or take it to a scale and weight it with a full tank of gas.
Yeah, thats a great way to do it ... If you already have the truck :)

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I have these 2 files for a 2021 regarding option weights. Might give you an idea. Don't see why there will be too much of a change in weights.
Sponsored

Attachments