Sponsored

Bypassing the deactivation of assistive features when 4-pin connecting trailer wiring?

CaptTCS

First Name
Terrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Hi all. I just got the 2022 Lariat Powerboost (Max Tow). I also have a hitch-mounted bike rack that has LED lights that can be plugged in to the trailer 4-pin wiring. I am trying to figure out how to plug that in without having the truck think that I connected a trailer and then deactivating the backup assist, cross traffic BLIS, etc. Does anyone know of a solution that won't void any warranties? Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP

CaptTCS

First Name
Terrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No. Not yet. Planning to ask dealer service department about it when I bring it in for first servicing, but haven’t done that yet. Also having an issue where the truck thinks I’m backing into something (because of the bike rack) and activates the Emergency Braking”, even after I deactivate the Emergency Braking.

Steyreo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Lariat SuperCrew PowerBoost Sport Fx4
No. Not yet. Planning to ask dealer service department about it when I bring it in for first servicing, but haven’t done that yet. Also having an issue where the truck thinks I’m backing into something (because of the bike rack) and activates the Emergency Braking”, even after I deactivate the Emergency Braking.
Thanks, @CaptTCS . I am trying to trouble shoot the issue where the truck decides a trailer is NOT connected when it IS. is there only one wire to your device? At least

OP
OP

CaptTCS

First Name
Terrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mine does that from time to time as well (4-pin). I’ve found that <carefully> applying Dielectric “bulb grease” to each of the <female> connectors, (being careful not to cause a short between connectors), helps keep the connection more consistent.

Sponsored

Steyreo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Is there only one wire to your device? At least that would help isolate the problem.

OP
OP

CaptTCS

First Name
Terrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No. It plugs into the 4-pin trailer receptacle. The lights on the bike rack sync with the truck's running, backup, brake, and turn signals. That's why the truck thinks it has a trailer attached when the rack lighting is attached. I also seem to have an issue where there are errors when it is raining (happening a lot lately), but I suspect that the problem there is more where the cable (which runs between the truck & the rack) attaches to the rack itself.

cheesedogf150

First Name
CheeseDog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat
Mine does that from time to time as well (4-pin). I’ve found that <carefully> applying Dielectric “bulb grease” to each of the <female> connectors, (being careful not to cause a short between connectors), helps keep the connection more consistent.
FYI... Dielectric grease is non conductive. Go ahead and glob it on, won't conduct and won't short

OP
OP

CaptTCS

First Name
Terrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Huh.. Interesting. I learn something new. I guess I always assumed that it's point was that it aids in conduction.

OP
OP

CaptTCS

First Name
Terrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm also getting pretty annoyed that the truck keeps automatically activating the automatic crash prevention "Assistive breaking"! The truck senses that there's something behind it (the mounted bike rack) and keeps applying brakes when I am trying to back out of my driveway. I turn off the driver assist features, and then the truck randomly (automatically) turns them back on when I don't want it to! It's really starting to piss me off!

Steyreo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sounds like a 14th gen F150. They have personalities.

My backup assist stays off. I parallel park all the time and it doesn’t want to let you.
Sponsored