Sponsored

Buying a Powerboost off the lot - any concerns about old blend date?

PaulO

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 PB
I'm debating buying a new 502A Powerboost off the lot but I did some digging and found the blend date was January 10th, 2022. Should I be concerned or avoid a truck that has been waiting for chips and now is finally available? It was a retail order not a special order. Anything to look out for? Thanks!
Sponsored

Viper

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, 2022 F-150 Limited Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Teacher for the Military
My blend date was 1-11-22 finally got it around 7-8-22 so I would not worry to much about it.

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
I'm debating buying a new 502A Powerboost off the lot but I did some digging and found the blend date was January 10th, 2022. Should I be concerned or avoid a truck that has been waiting for chips and now is finally available? It was a retail order not a special order. Anything to look out for? Thanks!
Rust underneath the truck. Check under the hood for possible critter homes and a close look at the body to make sure there are no there is no damage.

Since it’s on the lot you can take it for a good test drive.

Hope it works out, PB‘s are great trucks

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
I don’t have a PB, but I have a 501A with a 1/20 blend date that I bought off the lot in September. The only issue I’ve had is that it had a couple of extra scratches around the drivers door handle but that was there when I bought it (probably from it getting moved so much). I’ve owned it for about 10 weeks and it has been more or less flawless

OP
OP

PaulO

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 PB
Rust underneath the truck. Check under the hood for possible critter homes and a close look at the body to make sure there are no there is no damage.

Since it’s on the lot you can take it for a good test drive.

Hope it works out, PB‘s are great trucks
Dealership sent me this photo. Looks like a dark rush spot in front of the axle. Thoughts?

Ford F-150 Buying a Powerboost off the lot - any concerns about old blend date? 70ABDC0D-62B8-49D0-BF56-D44470E70F35

Sponsored

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
for some reason ford really craps on the 150 rear axles. mine had rust all over and my 2021 f250 had NONE .

makes zero sense.. do they stack these axles up out back under a tarp or something

Verdenc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Explorer, Escape
Occupation
Underwear model
I bought a 2013 escape with rust like that for my daughter. Looks the same today and have had no problems. Apples and oranges, but it's a Ford and rust is rust.

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
I would pass if it has MaxTow just because of the rear axle issue, otherwise it should be no different than the customer ordered trucks that sat out for months because of chip hold.

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
Dealership sent me this photo. Looks like a dark rush spot in front of the axle. Thoughts?

70ABDC0D-62B8-49D0-BF56-D44470E70F35.jpeg
Might just be the muffler bracket. It will rust so if that’s it, not too bad but it’s only part of the whole, so you should really look at it in daylight.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
I see no issue... But on delivery you might consider taking it out on an Interstate and giving it a good long run. The purpose in my mind is get all of the moisture out that could have worked its way into various out of the way places and even into various multi-pin plugs. This run will also help break in the engine (also vary engine rpm every so often for break in). So get it good and warm/hot . This will also get the various gears to wear into mesh after sitting and sitting. Remember, one drop of water between two pins in a 30 pin plug can make ones life miserable, so do something to drive that out of your truck. Maybe you could visit the kids or grandkids...

Sponsored

OP
OP

PaulO

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 PB
I would pass if it has MaxTow just because of the rear axle issue, otherwise it should be no different than the customer ordered trucks that sat out for months because of chip hold.
It does have Maxtow. Why would you pass? I might go get it tomorrow so please let me know.

OP
OP

PaulO

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 PB
I see no issue... But on delivery you might consider taking it out on an Interstate and giving it a good long run. The purpose in my mind is get all of the moisture out that could have worked its way into various out of the way places and even into various multi-pin plugs. This run will also help break in the engine (also vary engine rpm every so often for break in). So get it good and warm/hot . This will also get the various gears to wear into mesh after sitting and sitting. Remember, one drop of water between two pins in a 30 pin plug can make ones life miserable, so do something to drive that out of your truck. Maybe you could visit the kids or grandkids...
It’s a truck on the lot in the mountains of Colorado. I definitely will take it out and see how it does. Thankfully we are very dry in the Rockies.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Keep in mind, if it was sitting and waiting for chips... it was sitting in the Detroit area, or maybe Kansas City... anyway not so dry as Colorado I believe while it sat.... But give it a run. BTW if you haven't run the twin turbo V-6, it's a rocketship, be careful when passing you can piss off a State Trooper in half a heartbeat...

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
It does have Maxtow. Why would you pass? I might go get it tomorrow so please let me know.
There's a run of Max Tow floating axles that are suffering from a bolt breaking off.
There's no official word from Ford for the cause, but rumors are the bolt might be over torqued.

It's this bolt : (very easy to access)

Ford F-150 Buying a Powerboost off the lot - any concerns about old blend date? Screenshot_20221116_201720

I purchased new bolts and am ready to either replace the factory bolts, or just wait to see if I pop one. I haven't decided yet.

Ford F-150 Buying a Powerboost off the lot - any concerns about old blend date? 20221116_093247

No way would I let that pursuade me not to purchase that truck. That truck is AMAZING.

Last edited:

Quicksilver32

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat FX4
I bought mine 10/22. Had a blend date of 9/27. It didn’t make it 12 miles before it stated throwing CELs. Theses things are such a crap shoot; I don’t think it matters if it’s been sitting…
Sponsored