First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1983 Jeep CJ7, 2007 Jeep JKU, coming Ford F150 KR
Occupation
Training Superintendent
Well the new ford is going into the shop. It has burnt a total of 5 liters of oil in 4200km. I am thinking that is a bit excessive. Will see what Ford has to say when they look at it.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Mikesoffroad

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Training Superintendent
I’m at 3000 miles with no issues
Hopefully it is a one off. It was smoking on start up when I first picked it up and was told by the dealer that a little smoke like that was normal during break in. I told him that was one of the stupidest things I have heard. I will make a point of going back to that same service advisor and ask if burning 5 liters of oil is normal in 4200km. I just hate spending over $90000 Canadian on a truck to have this happen. It has warranty so if a new motor is needed I get a new motor.

Sponsored

ROBB1

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremor
Hopefully it is a one off. It was smoking on start up when I first picked it up and was told by the dealer that a little smoke like that was normal during break in. I told him that was one of the stupidest things I have heard. I will make a point of going back to that same service advisor and ask if burning 5 liters of oil is normal in 4200km. I just hate spending over $90000 Canadian on a truck to have this happen. It has warranty so if a new motor is needed I get a new motor.
There is no rational explanation for that high oil consumption other than there is a problem. Definitely not normal. That is a lot of oil.

Edited to add: I just noticed your location. Do you do a lot extended idling at very low temps?

Last edited:
OP
OP

Mikesoffroad

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Training Superintendent
There is no rational explanation for that high oil consumption other than there is a problem. Definitely not normal. That is a lot of oil

Edited to add: I just noticed your location. Do you do a lot extended idling at very low temps?

OP
OP

Mikesoffroad

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Training Superintendent
No I normally only do one remote start then go. I assume that this is more than just a little burning of oil. Thing is there is no oil underneath this thing.

ROBB1

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremor
No I normally only do one remote start then go. I assume that this is more than just a little burning of oil. Thing is there is no oil underneath this thing.
My strong opinion is it’s definitely a problem regardless, it’s just my inner troubleshooter coming out on the question. I’m a field rep for turbine engines and I have been involved in testing at extreme temperatures. Cold temps bring out the worst in seals.

Best guess based on you description from day one is a bad ring or seal in the combustion path. No external leakage and smoke from the tail pipe is a sure indication of that. No modern auto engine has significant high oil consumption during break-in. The advent of gap-less piston rings pretty much eliminated that possibility.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Definitely a factory defect.
I know it sounds crazy, but it's probably better that it's consuming huge amounts rather than say a quart per oil change interval. That way it can't be explained as normal.

Sponsored

Pete6114

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2023 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Retired Ford employee
That sucks! My 5.0 is ok so far at 5k. About the only thing that is....

bakerd

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport FX4
Occupation
Appraiser/Assessor
My 2021 has 5300 miles, actually taking it Saturday for an oil change, but I checked it before I left Friday on a trip I took and the oil was dead center of the line on the dipstick. So it looks like mine is good to go so far as oil consumption is concerned. My 09 Jeep Wrangler burned almost a quart every 5000 miles when new and a little over a quart toward the end before I traded it on my 21 F150. I was concerned but so far, this truck doesn't have the problem. Sounds like you do have something. Good luck with finding it

OP
OP

Mikesoffroad

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Training Superintendent
Well Ford is tracking the oil consumption and I am currently burning oil at a rate of about one liter per 1000km. As of right now the dealership knows what the issue is but states that Ford will not authorize the repair till they get more data. Like what do they want? you fire the truck up and it blows blue smoke out of the exhaust. Kind of regretting selling my Ram right now.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
New engines buring oil is "not the stupiest". This is fact. My eco boost used about 1 quart before first oil change. 0 since.

Not saying yours is normal, or not a real issue. Just that statement you made is 100% wrong

Reactions: WRS

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
Well the new ford is going into the shop. It has burnt a total of 5 liters of oil in 4200km. I am thinking that is a bit excessive. Will see what Ford has to say when they look at it.
Does it puff blue smoke at startup?
Sponsored