First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT Powerboost
Occupation
Engineer
I got the bulletpoint tray mount for Christmas and have been scheming up a way to add USB ports to the upper dash tray. (Seriously with all the power points in and around this truck how is there not one in the upper tray?? I digress) Ideally I wanted to do something flush-mounted to look OEM but most of the ones on Amazon are flashy with RGB or have sketchy reviews. However I found these USB ports from Expedition Essentials that was exactly what I was looking for.

Ford F-150 Bulletpoint tray mount for adding USB hub to upper dash tray UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6018_800x

USB A hub: https://expeditionessentials.com/co...ition-essentials-flush-mount-fast-usb-charger

Ford F-150 Bulletpoint tray mount for adding USB hub to upper dash tray 54FD328C-9F18-45EB-B956-375DEE0DFD10_800x
USB C hub: https://expeditionessentials.com/co...ion-essentials-flush-mount-usb-c-fast-charger

I was really hoping to flush mount them inside the tray on either side of the tray next to the “legs” of the bulletpoint mount. But once I got them in and looked under the tray I realized there were only 2 pockets that they could fit into but it would require me to get their location nearly perfect, and I just couldn’t justify cutting up that tray 15 times to hope it would work. So I decide on finding another route.

Ford F-150 Bulletpoint tray mount for adding USB hub to upper dash tray 73BE884F-DCB9-4DE8-8BBA-D02EC7722F9A

After staring at everything for a while, I decided on mounting the USB ports to the backside of the mount by drilling a hole on either side and using the provided hardware with the usb ports. This allowed me to hide them but still allow for easy access to the ports as well as hide the excess length of the charging cables under the mount. I think this turned out better than my original idea.

Ford F-150 Bulletpoint tray mount for adding USB hub to upper dash tray 7D1020BC-2636-4E14-9E05-2BD9FC9D0085

Ford F-150 Bulletpoint tray mount for adding USB hub to upper dash tray E99DAC32-896D-437A-85E8-5D90C8D3FF38

Ford F-150 Bulletpoint tray mount for adding USB hub to upper dash tray 1BBC13F6-9E2D-4B24-AA3F-206751F5B6A3

I drilled 2 small holes behind each port for their wiring to get through the tray. Then wired the two ports in parallel and ran a single power wire down the passenger side of the radio to the passenger fuse box and used a fuse tap. I debated between fuse #2 and #4; with #2 it would be switched but only 10A while #4 would be 20A but constant. Since the USB ports are each 4.8A I decided to go with fuse #4 to allow for more devices and allow for charging with the truck off if need be.

I have been using a Mous MagSafe charger with a vent mount for a few years and have loved it. Thankfully it has a 17mm ball mount, so I got a 20mm to 17mm adapter to attach it to the arm. The new USB port keeps the wires out of the way, which is the exactly what I was hoping to accomplish.

Ford F-150 Bulletpoint tray mount for adding USB hub to upper dash tray 810D6FA0-D4EC-4BF8-9F4A-39DB0A860135

Ford F-150 Bulletpoint tray mount for adding USB hub to upper dash tray 01F7AF0A-16B8-4A8A-8D13-03579575DF72

This really was an easy mod and I love the added functionality. I finished installing this late the other night, I’ll add some daylight pictures tomorrow.
Sponsored

KewTremor33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Tremor
Great Idea !! 2 questions, where did you ground the 2 black grounds? On the red power wires, you combined the 2 wires with one wire and ran it to the fuse box correct?? TY, I got my bulletpoint and now have to install this as I hate the hanging wires. TY