Sponsored

Building a Tow Vehicle

jasenj1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'99 Tacoma (looking to buy F150)
Background
The wife and I are about a year out from being empty-nesters. Once the house is empty, we'd like to do some traveling, so we went out looking at travel trailers. Based on our research, we like the Micro Minnie size, specifically the 2108DS. That has a GVWR of 7,000#, dry weight 4,140#. Our current vehicle isn't up to pulling that much and is over 10 years old, so that puts us in the hunt for a tow vehicle. Our other vehicle is a 1999 Tacoma that I bought new. That is to say, we buy vehicles and keep them, so we want to take our time and get it right.

The Hunt
Max 7000# trailer with ~700# tongue weight puts us squarely in the F150 range. We looked at a few other trucks, but have gravitated to the F150. Below are a couple builds I've done. I'm looking for a trailer puller and something comfy to ride in. Don't care about appearance packages.

XLT 301A Tow Package ~$45,000, base ~$40,000 + ~$5,000 options
Ford's B&P is annoying. I tried to add the Trailer Tow mirrors and it forces the 2.7L EcoBoost engine and +$1400. I don't understand why changing mirrors requires an engine swap. This has the 3.3L V6 PFDI. I don't know enough about engines to know if the stock engine has enough power to pull a 5000# trailer.

Lariat 500A Max Tow ~$53,000, base ~$48,000 + ~$3500 options
The Lariat is quite a step up from the XLT. Full screen instrument panel, 12" center screen, power seats, dual zone A/C. I threw the Max Tow kit on this one. 5.0L V8. Power mirrors. For the price difference, I think this build has a LOT more to offer.

Comments? Anything I'm missing? That I'm really gonna kick myself for not getting?

I'm also closely eying the 2kW Pro Power. $1000 is about the same price as a similar generator; I don't think I want to dive all the way to the 7.2kW version (+$2k to swap to a PowerBoost Engine).
Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Ok you are going to not like this but as a starting point there is good reading material in the 2021 towing guide from ford that will help start the education process for you: https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/...-guides/2021_Ford_RVandTrailerTowingGuide.pdf

It is 46 pages because unfortunately it is for their entire fleet (includes superduty, ranger, and E chassis). I can't find one with just specific F150 info so you can skip the other areas!

Once you have looked at the capabilities of the engine lineup (that INCLUDES reading the asterisks and footnotes of HOW they got that number with that engine) and compare that to the pricing, it will be more clear what your starting point should be.

Then the most important thing to note is you will run out of payload far before you reach that "towing capacity" number. That is what the experts on here will point out. So 1) get the most capable engine you are willing to pay for, 2) decide what trim is most important for you so you can get a starting point on payload, 3) start sacrificing or making the important decisions within your constraints (that's really where the folks on here can help!)

Ford4Life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum, 2022 Explorer ST
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Background
The wife and I are about a year out from being empty-nesters. Once the house is empty, we'd like to do some traveling, so we went out looking at travel trailers. Based on our research, we like the Micro Minnie size, specifically the 2108DS. That has a GVWR of 7,000#, dry weight 4,140#. Our current vehicle isn't up to pulling that much and is over 10 years old, so that puts us in the hunt for a tow vehicle. Our other vehicle is a 1999 Tacoma that I bought new. That is to say, we buy vehicles and keep them, so we want to take our time and get it right.

The Hunt
Max 7000# trailer with ~700# tongue weight puts us squarely in the F150 range. We looked at a few other trucks, but have gravitated to the F150. Below are a couple builds I've done. I'm looking for a trailer puller and something comfy to ride in. Don't care about appearance packages.

Ford's B&P is annoying. I tried to add the Trailer Tow mirrors and it forces the 2.7L EcoBoost engine and +$1400. I don't understand why changing mirrors requires an engine swap. This has the 3.3L V6 PFDI. I don't know enough about engines to know if the stock engine has enough power to pull a 5000# trailer.

The Lariat is quite a step up from the XLT. Full screen instrument panel, 12" center screen, power seats, dual zone A/C. I threw the Max Tow kit on this one. 5.0L V8. Power mirrors. For the price difference, I think this build has a LOT more to offer.

Comments? Anything I'm missing? That I'm really gonna kick myself for not getting?

I'm also closely eying the 2kW Pro Power. $1000 is about the same price as a similar generator; I don't think I want to dive all the way to the 7.2kW version (+$2k to swap to a PowerBoost Engine).
Honestly, in my research I think the best bang for your buck in 2021 might be an XLT 302A. You finally get the better headlights, dual zone climate control, push button start, 360 camera availability, and most all of the tech features of the higher trim levels including the 12" screen. Add max tow with the coyote or 3.5 ecoboost and you've got one very capable truck. However, if the cost is too much or you don't care about all of the new tech, an XL would make for a cost effective camper hauler. It sounds like you will be spending a great deal of time in your truck, though, so some of those additional features in higher trims may be worth the additional cost.

What configuration are you looking at? Supercab or crew? 5 1/2' or 6 1/2' box? 4x2 or 4x4?

OP
OP

jasenj1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OP
OP

jasenj1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honestly, in my research I think the best bang for your buck in 2021 might be an XLT 302A.
Ah. Interesting. A build with that winds up between the other two and includes step bars.

What configuration are you looking at? Supercab or crew? 5 1/2' or 6 1/2' box? 4x2 or 4x4?
Crew cab 5 1/2` 4x2.

Sponsored

rucus0101

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Navigator, Mustang
If you get any of the powertrains above the 3.3 and at least the basic tow package you will be fine from a "pull" standpoint. The 3.3 wont be able to pull that travel trailer but any of the other 5 engine options will. For pulling that TT I would suggest the 3.5 EB, the others will do fine but for something that heavy it will make your life easiest.

There are two other things you need to understand and worry about especially with a travel trailer. The first is payload. Travel trailers are not like boats or yard trailers as they carry a huge amount of tongue weight. A properly loaded TT typically carries anywhere from 12-15 percent of its total weight as tongue weight (dont believe the brochure they strip things out to make it seem lighter than it is). The 2108 seems to be made to be towable easy and has a "light" tongue with only a single LP tank so we can use 12 percent in our calculation. 12 percent of the 7000 GVWR is 840 pounds. Add a 100 pounds for the WDH and it means your trailer alone utilized 940 pounds of your payload in the truck. Assume its you and your wife and some cargo, a bed cover, liner etc and you will need around 600 pounds for people and other stuff(You should do your own math here also). That means you ideally need a truck with ~1550 or more payload.

The payload of the truck is determined by weighing the as built truck and subtracting it from the GVWR. The GVWR of the truck is based upon the frame and suspension that the truck are built on. Ford builds effectively 3 different frames and inside of each frame there are a few different springs rates which makes minor differences. The base frame is selected based upon the engine choice.

Light:3.3,2.7,diesel
Medium: 5.0,3.5,2.7+payload package
Heavy: HDPP option

Inside if of each frame choice the more options you choose the less payload you have left.

The second thing you have to consider is the rear axle weight rating. Heavy tongue, and stuff in the bed and you may be under on payload but the rear axle is overloaded. The max trailer tow package adds a heavier duty axle that has a higher rating.

If I were in your shoes there are two trucks I would consider.

#1 A reasonably equipped 302a. The 302a is a really good value now that it has auto climate, push button, the big screen, LED head lights. Get a 302a, tow mirrors, max tow, console. Skip all the heavy options like the tailgate step / power, the moon roof, FX4, etc and you will end up with a truck with near 1800 pounds payload. The XLT's typically get better discounting as well. You can always add katskin leather to a 302a for under $2000 bucks and you will have a truck nearly as nice as a lariat.

#2 A minimum equipped Lariat. A lariat can be had just about any way you want. If you get a lariat with max tow, tow mirrors and leave out all the heavy options it is possible to get near 1700 pounds of payload. The lariat however will cost a good bit more as they dont discount as heavily.

As to engines I will give you my opinion and the below doesn't really represent fact just my opinion.

3.3: This engine is the cost saver for fleet trucks. If you are running around town making package delivery get this engine. Otherwise skip it

2.7: The 2.7 is a fantastic engine that was very well built. The CGI block, integrated turbo manifolds small displacement V6. The 2.7 gets on power very fast with torque coming in fast and very early in the power band. A lot of people "feel" this engine is really fast and that is the effect of the quick power delivery along with the lighter truck that it generally comes in. For people not "pulling" heavy loads and looking for an outstanding daily truck this is the best engine

Diesel: The diesel in the 1/2 ton market doesn't make any sense. In the superduty the diesel is a beast compared to the gas options delivering better torque, HP, and fuel economy. The diesel in the 1/2 ton is underpowered compared to several of the other options, more expensive, and comes on the light frame truck. Its truly built just for those few people that buy it that pad the CAFE numbers.

5:0: The coyote is a great motor for a mustang. In fact I have one in my mustang. Over head cam, big heads, big cam, big compression, high revving linear power, great sound. When you drop the hammer and spin that thing up to 7500 rpm screaming through a turn its awesome. It is not however a great truck motor. In the f150 they essentially pull the teeth from the coyote to make it fit a truck role. In a truck you want a lot of torque at the low end to get a heavy load moving. The 5.0 will always make more power at the upper end of the power band and require you to wrap it up. In 2021 they also added the dreaded cylinder deactivation crap. This has been a disaster since Cadillac did it in the 70's. I am not saying ford is going to fail at it, just that everyone else before them has :)

3.5: The larger EB has been a reasonably decent motor since its inception. It is now on its 3rd generation and has continually been improved. There have been several issues cam phasers, carbon coaking etc. but they have been addressed / improved (knock on wood). Under high load / tow situations the 3.5 EB really shines. The potent torque from 2,000 RPM plus all the way through the midrange really makes it pull almost like a baby diesel. With the 3.5 you will never run out of pull with the truck.

PB: The PB is a great concept and I am really hoping it works for ford. I strongly considered ordering my truck with it but after seeing the effect on payload I passed. I have a payload number I need to hit and if its a choice between the powerboost, or the luxury options I want, I choose the luxury options.

DW2020

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 KR PB
I tow a similar trailer (Rockwood 2304KS, ~6600# GVWR), which I currently pull with a 2011 with 6.2L with Max Tow.

Ruckus makes a lot of good points. I especially agree with the comments about the 5.0 revving to work....my 6.2 is a stronger engine in size and torque but it still has to rev to make peak torque, so in the mountains it’s revving a lot. The sound is nice when you are accelerating, not so much when you are going up big hills.

Haven’t towed it with anything else so I can’t give a good reference on max tow difference, but I definitely appreciate the higher rear axle weight rating when loading up stuff in the bed while towing.

Not sure where you are planning to travel, but if in the hills/mountains/high altitude I’d definitely suggest one of the turbos for torque down low (and therefore quiet). My wife really wants the hybrid, so we have a PB on order.

Overall, since you are buying with a plan to tow a fair amount, I would say go for a 3.5 max tow. The extra frame/axle/chassis/brakes should make for a more comfortable experience compared to more of a ‘just capable enough’ tow package.

Lastly, if you are ok with 301A and 6.5 ft bed, you might want to look into the Heavy Duty Payload Package. It’s a nice deal I wish I could get....but it’s not available with PowerBoost.

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Background

The Hunt

Get the 3.5 for towing. Firm recommendation.

OP
OP

jasenj1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for all the advice on engines. That's one of the decisions that's going to drive me crazy. Clearly going with the 3.5L EB will provide gobs of power. It's about a $2500 upgrade. Which is not huge when you're talking about a $50k vehicle, but I could $1k & $2k myself up to $60k real easy.
I don't think I'll care about having max power, but, hey, if I'm going to buy new I might as well buy the best, right?

The GVWR of 7000# should be a worst case, never actually do, scenario. I'm expecting 5500-6000# real weight; that should be plenty of buffer for the F150's rating.

Ford4Life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum, 2022 Explorer ST
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Thanks for all the advice on engines. That's one of the decisions that's going to drive me crazy. Clearly going with the 3.5L EB will provide gobs of power. It's about a $2500 upgrade. Which is not huge when you're talking about a $50k vehicle, but I could $1k & $2k myself up to $60k real easy.
I don't think I'll care about having max power, but, hey, if I'm going to buy new I might as well buy the best, right?

The GVWR of 7000# should be a worst case, never actually do, scenario. I'm expecting 5500-6000# real weight; that should be plenty of buffer for the F150's rating.
Have you considered taking advantage of the crazy incentives Ford is throwing at 2020 models? I know the 2021 is a beautiful upgrade but you might be able to get a 2020 lariat or platinum with the engine/towing capability you're looking for for the price of a 2021 XLT.

Sponsored

hillbros_96

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150, 2021 F150
3.5 EB for sure, the beauty of it is it has all the power that you command it to through the fuel pedal. If you do any distance driving, it will also be better on fuel than the non-EB engine (except the diesel). Even running around town my wife 2016 EB is getting in that 17 mpg range and we live on the side of a mountain, so lots of hills with in-town driving.

OP
OP

jasenj1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Have you considered taking advantage of the crazy incentives Ford is throwing at 2020 models?
Yes. I spent the evening searching for 2020s in my area. Some very good deals. One $60k truck with moonroof, etc. was $50k! Very tempting.

Today I also happened upon this video that compares the 5.0 and 3.5L EB. The reviewer echoed many of the comments made here: go with the 3.5L for low end torque.

Sadly, the wife and I sat down and had the heart to heart of whether we're really going to pull the trigger, and decided against. :( We have some big house maintenance projects to do in the next year and taking on a $700+/mo payment is not in the cards. But maybe we'll try again in 2022. Thanks for all the advice.

SBrentnall

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.daxiadigital.com
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Occupation
Digital Marketing
Have you considered taking advantage of the crazy incentives Ford is throwing at 2020 models? I know the 2021 is a beautiful upgrade but you might be able to get a 2020 lariat or platinum with the engine/towing capability you're looking for for the price of a 2021 XLT.
There don't seem to be many of them around. I've searched for a 2020 within 500 miles of my location, and there's not a single Lariat with the max tow package and a 6.5' bed.
Sponsored