Sponsored

Broken Axle Bolt

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
Thank you for the info and picture. So either substandard material or bolt preloaded beyond recommend preload. So I‘m assuming that when the bolt fractures the axel is allowed to slide towards the diff and then disengaging the splines, correct? Truck does not move when this happens (at least in my case) other than when 4 wheel drive is engaged or maybe diff lock (which I did not try). Thanks again for the info.
I don't see how it could possibly slip that far. I've never heard of any symptoms other than the sound of the bolt head & washer rattling around in the wheel behind the center cap.
Sponsored

RidingHighNCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
Over the many years of interacting with dealership service advisors what I have come to know is that the vast majority have no idea what they are talking about and will regularly feed you a line of total crap. It's rare to find one that actually knows their shit and don't feed you a pile of bullshit dolled up to look like escargot.
That does not surprise me, I was thinking that as well when i was told that they had already shipped it back to Ford

RidingHighNCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
I don't see how it could possibly slip that far. I've never heard of any symptoms other than the sound of the bolt head & washer rattling around in the wheel behind the center cap.
Based on the info from this thread vs what I was told by my service dept rep I’m thinking the same thing. My truck was in a No Drive situation. In two wheel drive, truck would not move, driveshaft would spin and rear wheels would not. I’m just relaying what I was told.

RidingHighNCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
FWIW from the several threads on 2 forums that I'm following on this topic I'm not aware of any other reports where the failure of this bolt has actually resulted in 'no drive' at the rear axle, nor any cases where it's been reported that the axle shaft has slid far enough inboard to disengage the splines at the hub.

I don't think we have enough data to be confident the exact scenario you assume is the actual mode of failure to drive in your case (maybe, maybe not, IMO).
As i previously stated, my truck would only move in 4 wheel drive, I did not think to try the locking rear diff. I first thought it might be the transmission based on the sound of gears and or splines grinding. After further investigation I found that while in 2WD the drive shaft spun, read wheels did not. I was only able to back into a parking space using 4WD. I was told by the service rep that an axle blot sheared.

Sponsored

Hemitoeco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep WK Ecodiesel
Very curious for my recent order - is this still and issue with later 22s and the 23 MY? Also, is there a big difference in driving a max tow vs non max tow? Reason I ask, I don’t NEED the max tow but I could use it. I also want the 36 gallon tank and the 3.55 E locker. If there is a difference in driving, I’d be willing to forgo the max tow in lieu of tow tech (to get 360 camera), locker and 36 gallon. I went with the max tow bc the price was about the same. Appreciate any advice.

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
Very curious for my recent order - is this still and issue with later 22s and the 23 MY? Also, is there a big difference in driving a max tow vs non max tow? Reason I ask, I don’t NEED the max tow but I could use it. I also want the 36 gallon tank and the 3.55 E locker. If there is a difference in driving, I’d be willing to forgo the max tow in lieu of tow tech (to get 360 camera), locker and 36 gallon. I went with the max tow bc the price was about the same. Appreciate any advice.
As far as anyone knows, Ford has not fixed it; to me it is crazy that they are still building and selling this bad design. If ordering now, I would drop the Max Tow option because I really don't need it either, my Travel trailer is under 6000 lb dry and I always tow dry.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
The issue thus far is isolated to just the 3.73 HD axle configuration included in the max tow package. The non HD 3.73 and all others do not have the same design. You should be able to add basic towing/hitch with the 3.55 e-locker and 360 cams but skip the max-tow and would have nothing to worry about. I believe the only thing you're losing with that setup is the integrated brake controller, larger rear brakes, and possibly slightly stiffer rear springs.

On a side note I was prepping to reserve a dealer stock truck due in about now that had this very configuration as I was describing with the 3.55 e-locker, 360 cams and towing on it when I bought the PB setup instead since they just received it the same time I was in there for the other one.

Hemitoeco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep WK Ecodiesel
Yes I saw I can add everything I want for roughly $25 more. From what I read last night, it sounds like the ride quality is preferred with the single leaf axel (from skipping max tax). I’m going to prioritize ride quality over towninf capacity. The boat I occasionally would tow is a round 5000. Should be fine without max tow.
Appreciate your comments!

The issue thus far is isolated to just the 3.73 HD axle configuration included in the max tow package. The non HD 3.73 and all others do not have the same design. You should be able to add basic towing/hitch with the 3.55 e-locker and 360 cams but skip the max-tow and would have nothing to worry about. I believe the only thing you're losing with that setup is the integrated brake controller, larger rear brakes, and possibly slightly stiffer rear springs.

On a side note I was prepping to reserve a dealer stock truck due in about now that had this very configuration as I was describing with the 3.55 e-locker, 360 cams and towing on it when I bought the PB setup instead since they just received it the same time I was in there for the other one.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Yes I saw I can add everything I want for roughly $25 more. From what I read last night, it sounds like the ride quality is preferred with the single leaf axel (from skipping max tax). I’m going to prioritize ride quality over towninf capacity. The boat I occasionally would tow is a round 5000. Should be fine without max tow.
Appreciate your comments!
Honestly the ride quality is fine with the max-tow, but for anyone who thinks otherwise it can be easily fixed. Just put a set of Bilstein's on the rear and the ride is instantly better.

Sponsored

Skier167

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
I took my truck in this morning for an oil change and tire rotation. One of the bolts fell off when the removed my driver side rear tire. I’m leaving for a trip first thing tomorrow morning pulling a 6k boat. Am I basically screwed for my trip cause of this bolt?

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
I took my truck in this morning for an oil change and tire rotation. One of the bolts fell off when the removed my driver side rear tire. I’m leaving for a trip first thing tomorrow morning pulling a 6k boat. Am I basically screwed for my trip cause of this bolt?
Ford Corporate and most Ford Dealers would say "park it". Facing a trip towing a 6k# boat I would say the same. Others may have a different opinion.

So far no-one that I'm aware of has reported what eventual worst-case trauma occurs when one pushes an axle with a broken / missing bolt to it's ultimate limits. Methinks you don't want to learn what that consequence might be in actual experience (it might be sudden loss of driving power to the wheel, wheel lock-up, wheel loss, who knows??). Will towing a substantial load exacerbate or accelerate a worst-case scenario? No one knows. Optimistic guesses or speculation can be offered, but if wrong the consequence could be serious.

If you can get the bolt drilled-out and replaced with the proper Ford PN bolt in a hurry you might save (or minimally delay) your trip and buy some time until it fails again. Yes, AFAIK the proper replacement will be the same part and may fail again.

Condolences, with wishes of good luck.

Last edited:

Skier167

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Ford Corporate and most Ford Dealers would say "park it". Facing a trip towing a 6k# boat I would say the same. Others may have a different opinion.

So far no-one that I'm aware of has reported what eventual worst-case trauma occurs when one pushes an axle with a broken / missing bolt to it's ultimate limits. Methinks you don't want to learn what that consequence might be in actual experience (it might be sudden loss of driving power to the wheel, wheel lock-up, wheel loss, who knows??). Will towing a substantial load exacerbate or accelerate a worst-case scenario? No one knows.

If you can get the bolt drilled-out and replaced with the proper Ford PN bolt in a hurry you might save (or minimally delay) your trip and buy some time until it fails again. Yes, AFAIK the proper replacement will be the same part and may fail again.

Condolences, with wishes of good luck.
I’m hoping they can get old bolt out and replace. What has me worried is they initially accused me of doing something to it or asked who else has worked on it. I had to tell them how common this issue is so I don’t have much hope.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
I’m hoping they can get old bolt out and replace. What has me worried is they initially accused me of doing something to it or asked who else has worked on it. I had to tell them how common this issue is so I don’t have much hope.
I understand that a particular dealer's response can be very disturbing, frustrating, and rob one of confidence in that dealer.

All I can offer / urge is that you keep your own knowledge and common-sense in-play, and when you get through this immediate need consider pursuing the matter further with a different, hopefully better-informed, dealer.

Again, wishing you good luck!

n00dler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 PB Lariat
Occupation
Mechanic Shop Owner
I got the same treatment. They assumed I put a wrench on it to break it while I changed my wheels. And once the bolt breaks, the wheel bearing is also bad, but the dealerships around me are too “experienced” to know what it means to have a broken hub retaining bolt.
Sponsored