First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Hybrid
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
Like many of you, I experienced the deep sleep mode after 2 days of not driving. Battery was dead as a rock, Ford Roadside Assistance contract tow used a “hot box” portable battery to jump start. Got the truck running but every warning light on the dash stays on, constant chiming with multiple system fault errors for every sub-system & sensor (continuous paging through errors and hitting OK), power steering no longer works, power BRAKES don’t work, and more. Need to call them back to tow this POS to Ford. None of the techs understand this vehicle, I’m sure they’ll start ripping apart the power steering system and brakes to find the problem. This truck and Ford’s lack of training & support for their service techs is a growing nightmare. I see no effort on Ford’s behalf to address these issues. Time to lawyer up.
Sponsored

Plat_2021

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 Lariat Sport, 2021 Platinum (on order)
Occupation
Network and Security Consultant
If you actually charge the battery and let it set for 8 hours its likely that all of the "issues" will go away...

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
So you haven't even let the dealership look at the truck yet to figure out what happened and why, or offer any resolution, but you want to file a lawsuit? What do you hope to gain by doing so when you haven't given the dealer or Ford a chance to correct the issue?

OP
OP

CMMC-12678

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Hybrid
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
So you haven't even let the dealership look at the truck yet to figure out what happened and why, or offer any resolution, but you want to file a lawsuit? What do you hope to gain by doing so when you haven't given the dealer or Ford a chance to correct the issue?
The dealership is 83 miles away (166 miles round trip). This will be the 3rd trip there for various repairs in 2 months. It can’t even be driven, it must be towed. It has never worked right since purchasing it. The technicians are at a loss since—according to them—Ford has not provided training, diagnostic tools, error codes or parts, so it is extremely challenging and highly unlikely they can properly fix what ails this half-baked beta project. Would you be happy traveling 500 miles and losing 3 days of work in the unlikely hope that problems can be fixed? New cars have problems like any other cars (this is my 5th new F-150), but when chronic problems can be clearly identified in a forum such as this and Ford is unable or incapable of resolving the matters, then it’s time for buybacks.

Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Did you ask them to buy it back yet then? Going through the court should be the last resort, not first. It sounds like you've barely given the dealer or Ford a chance to make it right at this point. That's not to say you shouldn't force them to make it right for you, but the you're likely to be left disappointed with the expenses of a lawsuit and the outcome if you have to go that way.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I feel for ya. I hope they can resolve it. Maybe there is a better dealer you can take it to?

bigskydu

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 6.5' Powerboost
I picked up my new 2021 Platinum Powerboost on Wednesday. Within three hours of driving it off the lot it lit up like a Christmas tree. Powertrain failure. Voltage failures. Lighting failures. Heated / Cooling seat stopped working. I had to wait over night to bring it in, and while bringing it in I lost power steering, power brakes, and limped it into the dealer lot.

They are looking at it right now. No diagnosis yet.

I'm hoping / praying it's just the 12v phantom battery drain issue.

This is my truck: http://www.windowsticker.forddirect.com/windowsticker.pdf?vin=1FTFW1ED1MFA94662

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I have little faith in the Ford dealerships myself, my own dealer is only 3 miles away but they are at a complete loss for how a door works.

My doors are misaligned and they contacted Ford about replacement doors :/ I tried to explain to them how a door worked but I gave up.

My door is misaligned with a gap of 1/8th of an inch near the door strike but it is flush with the cab at the rockers. The service advisor thinks that if the door is adjusted to fix the gap at the top, then it will create an issue at the bottom of the door. I told him “But there are two hinges, you only need to adjust one if there’s any tilt.” He looked at me as if I had walked up to a stranger and said: “Rumplestiltskin.” So I walked away. When I spoke with the service manager, he said I was lucky that they didn’t try to adjust my doors because they could have made them worse and then tried to make the impression that Ford made the cab the wrong shape.

If the dealers are that inept with something that you can see, I can’t imagine how clueless they would be with something like an electrical problem.

It’s possible, when they jumped your car, the guy hooked both leads to the battery. On new cars, they only want you to attach directly to the positive terminal and to clamp the negative lead to a ground nearby, usually the lifting lug on the engine.

Pretty much every manual I have seen warns against the old fashioned way of jumping a car battery. I especially would not be surprised, since other than the battery drain, your truck was functioning normally before.

However, it also seems people are having this failure mode spontaneously, without jumping their trucks, so it could also be likely that it’s just a low voltage problem causing havoc with all the interconnected systems. In which case it’s simply crap engineering. like the oil pump in the diesel engine Ford puts in its Ranger in international markets; the oil pump isn’t self priming, so you can’t actually do an oil change. They tell you to open the drain plug, count to 5 minutes and close the drain plug, even if it’s still draining, then fill it up before 10 minutes have elapsed, or the pump will have lost prime. This is the procedure to prime the pump:

https://4wheeldriveguide.com/ford-ranger-3-2-oil-pump-priming/

WTF?

So if Ford has engineered a similar problem into its electrical systems, what is procedure for charging a dead battery?

Ford F-150 Bricked F-150 Hybrid 4E33B4CF-C82B-49D1-89C2-F4F8ADAF571B

Ford F-150 Bricked F-150 Hybrid 13936803-BD30-415C-A2A2-F4D76FCD237D

Last edited:

bigskydu

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 6.5' Powerboost
They just called and said a battery charge didn’t resolve anything. Voltage issues abound. They are keeping until at least mid next week.

Sponsored

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB, 2014 Mazda3
While these trouble prone new F150's may not be in the majority, I certainly find them discouraging. This will (or would) be my first Ford product. I'm buying from a distant dealer (Granger in Iowa) due to their aggressive pricing. Now I'm wondering how receptive my local dealer will be to wrestle with these kinds of issues, if they appear in a truck they didn't sell. Before buying, the local dealer tells me they make almost no money on sales (at MSRP pricing) and the dealership is carried primarily by service. (Absolutely false, of course. The profit from a MSRP sale, before the 'automatic' $1300 "Desert Prep" gee dunk they put on each truck, is almost 10% when including the hold back). I can easily imagine that same dealer, presented with extensive warrantee work for a vehicle not purchased there, whining about the service cost associated with one of these F150 problem children.

Jack

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
...Now I'm wondering how receptive my local dealer will be to wrestle with these kinds of issues, if they appear in a truck they didn't sell. Before buying, the local dealer tells me they make almost no money on sales..
$1300 "Desert Prep"...I can easily imagine that same dealer, presented with extensive warrantee work for a vehicle not purchased there, whining about the service cost associated with one of these...
Don’t worry, a dealer that full of shit won’t care if you buy from them or not to lie to you about what’s wrong with your truck/deflect blame/gaslight you.

The disservice department and the sales department are two separate entities. They only care if they can make money for the dealership, so if Ford is willing to pay for warranty issues, they will attempt to remedy those issues regardless of where you purchased the truck from. The question is if their staff can handle the repair, sadly, many dealerships try to only hire the most inexpensive labor possible with predictable results.

Deleted member 2919

The dealership is 83 miles away (166 miles round trip). This will be the 3rd trip there for various repairs in 2 months. It can’t even be driven, it must be towed. It has never worked right since purchasing it. The technicians are at a loss since—according to them—Ford has not provided training, diagnostic tools, error codes or parts, so it is extremely challenging and highly unlikely they can properly fix what ails this half-baked beta project. Would you be happy traveling 500 miles and losing 3 days of work in the unlikely hope that problems can be fixed? New cars have problems like any other cars (this is my 5th new F-150), but when chronic problems can be clearly identified in a forum such as this and Ford is unable or incapable of resolving the matters, then it’s time for buybacks.
Did your truck get fixed?

Whoosh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' PB F150,18&20 Ecoboost Explorer Platinum,
Occupation
Worker of lead
I don't have my truck yet but I asked my dealer yesterday about the reality of this sort of scenario and his statement to me was that he'd send a flatbed and a loner to my house, yes I have a long running multivehicle history with my dealer and salesman but it doesn't seem out of the realm for a dealer to do such a thing for a new vehicle that is under warranty. My dealer's attitude is that a happy customer is valuable, a disgruntled customer is a liability!
Sponsored

Last edited: