First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT
My brakes were really mushy with lots of pedal travel. Maybe this was related...

2021 Ford F-150 Recalled Over Safety Issue With Brake Booster

https://fordauthority.com/2021/07/2021-ford-f-150-recalled-over-safety-issue-with-brake-booster/

July 22, 2021

Ford Motor Company is recalling select 2021 Ford F-150 trucks due to issues related to the electronic brake booster.

The defect: in affected vehicles, the electronic brake boosters were incorrectly manufactured by the supplier, which creates a leak path for brake fluid to enter the electronic control unit (ECU).

The hazards: the brake booster issue could cause brake fluid to leak through the pressure sensor into the brake booster control unit because of an incomplete cinch between the sensor and brake booster housing. Drivers may experience higher brake pedal effort, longer pedal travel, and reduced braking, which could increase the risk of a crash. Additionally, ABS, ESC, and Brake lamps could illuminate in the instrument cluster.

Ford is not aware of any accidents or injuries related to this issue.

Components: electronic brake booster.

Affected vehicles: select 2021 Ford F-150 models produced at the Ford Dearborn Truck Plant between December 11th, 2020 – January 31st, 2021.

Number of vehicles affected: 51 vehicles, with:
  • 51 units in North America
The fix: dealers will replace the defective electronic brake booster assembly.

Brake Booster Part Diagram:

Ford F-150 Brake booster recall announced for 2021 F-150 MA21633_1
Sponsored

nighthawk283

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
94 F150, 12 Mustang, 21 F150 Super Cab
My brakes occasionally make a click/popping sound when pressed, anyone else experience this? Not the clicking sound of the switch being activated to illuminate the break lights. It’s separate and louder.
Mine does the exact same thing

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
My brakes occasionally make a click/popping sound when pressed, anyone else experience this? Not the clicking sound of the switch being activated to illuminate the break lights. It’s separate and louder.
yep, I've heard that a few times, but not consistently

Sponsored

Jerry Can

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 KR Powerboost, 2-tone Rapid Red, 157”
Occupation
Fuel Container
Mine do this. It don’t feel right, and I often wonder if there’s something wrong with them

Jmap550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 sxt
I noticed this aswell. Not evey time
But often

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Yes, I experience this but cannot duplicate it reliably. I had my dealer look at it and they "couldn't reproduce" of course and said "well it will get worse then we can duplicate it and do something about it". If I could reliably get it to duplicate, and show them, they would do something about it.

EF150man

First Name
Coop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Space White, 2.7l, moonroof, 20"wheels
Occupation
Retired
Yes, I experience this but cannot duplicate it reliably. I had my dealer look at it and they "couldn't reproduce" of course and said "well it will get worse then we can duplicate it and do something about it". If I could reliably get it to duplicate, and show them, they would do something about it.
Mine is the same as all of yours. I am not in the recall date range, but if the radio is off and the windows are rolled up, I get that clicking/rubbing noise in the pedal as I depress it. I guess it's a good thing I usually have the radio on!:ROFLMAO:

Sponsored

volvofan94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4 3.5L EcoBoost
Yea, while driving the brake pedal on my truck once in a while, not every time, makes a clicking or popping sound when I step on the brakes too. If your truck has the push to start option (mine does), it sounds like it’s the switch to see if your foot is on the brake to start the engine. Best sound I could relate it too.

I’ve noticed the noise more when starting the truck than in normal driving. Once on a hot day the brake pedal noise appeared while driving too, but hasn’t happened since then.

Hawkeye

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX
Occupation
Military
I'm in the date range and have the lack of brake effort/pedal travel problem. Some days on freeway it was not a fun truck to drive as I'd have to brake way early to not rear end cars in front. On one occasion I had to swerve lanes as it just wouldn't stop

Beedata

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariet
Yes mine did it for 1 day and it hasn’t happened again.

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
Mine do this. It don’t feel right, and I often wonder if there’s something wrong with them
I have this too on my Powerboost. It does it consistently ALWAYS when applying brake or when the adaptive cruise is stopping the vehicle in stop and go traffic.

Sounds like an old double spring garage door stretching.

I called ford and they stated that my truck was not involved in the recall.

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Hybrid 3.5L V6 twin-turbocharged Ecoboost
Drivers may experience higher brake pedal effort, longer pedal travel, and reduced braking
Mine do this EXACTLY! It's getting to the point where I can't ignore it anymore. Its VERY frustrating and annoying.

From motorbiscuit.com:
The braking response of the 2021 Ford F-150 hybrid is said to be less linear than might be expected. The tester says, “Several times I went for the pedal, felt alarmed at the lack of response, pressed harder, and got too much braking (plus an incredulous look from my passenger).

It's bs. This "electric-power braking". I hope Ford does something about this. I won't hold my breath.
Sponsored