First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I do agree that the PB brakes do not feel the same as standard hydraulic brakes. At the same point, I think most hybrids have the same unusual feel since they have the regenerative braking. It was semi-unnerving at first, but I'm getting used to it now and I'm sure a few more weeks of driving and I'll think nothing of it.
Sponsored

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
Mine do this EXACTLY! It's getting to the point where I can't ignore it anymore. Its VERY frustrating and annoying.

From motorbiscuit.com:
The braking response of the 2021 Ford F-150 hybrid is said to be less linear than might be expected. The tester says, “Several times I went for the pedal, felt alarmed at the lack of response, pressed harder, and got too much braking (plus an incredulous look from my passenger).

It's bs. This "electric-power braking". I hope Ford does something about this. I won't hold my breath.
I just want to make sure everyone on this forum knows that the Powerboost F150 has a perfectly liner feel to it. That truck must be involved in the recall or something, because I have often commented on the perfectness of the braking system.

In fact, it is amazing to me how they can mesh the hybrid regenerative braking and then the hydraulic braking on top of it when you hit the brakes hard. It even switches from hydraulic to regenerative after you slam the brakes in a panic type situation without you knowing other than looking at the hybrid meeter thing.

I think that the brakes on this truck rival all other brakes I have ever used. This truck can slow from 100 to 60 multiple times with 0 brake fade, and without ever causing brake dust on my wheels over a period of 5000 miles. Pretty freaking impressive.

Mine only makes the spring creaking sound, lol. I guess the function of my truck brakes aren't affected if I'm saying mine work perfect and everyone else is saying their's don't. lol

Last edited:

65mustang

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
56 TBird, 65 Mustang, 98 F250 etc
Occupation
Retired FoMoCo
Friends 2021 Lariat did all that and more, Alarms, lights going off, adaptive slowing the truck down on highways, soft pedal etc. Dealer said it was the brake booster, keep driving it they did not have any stock of the replacement booster and would order one? He left the truck at the dealer! It was built in the recall time period but he never got a recall, dealer more or less indicated don't worry about it, they'd fix it eventually, never mentioned the recall until I found it online. Dealer was 5 star in our books, now not sure. Supposedly booster should be in next week, hopefully that will fix it, truck is parked in their lot for now.

BCP28

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150, 2023 Ford Mach-E4x
Occupation
Engineer
Friends 2021 Lariat did all that and more, Alarms, lights going off, adaptive slowing the truck down on highways, soft pedal etc. Dealer said it was the brake booster, keep driving it they did not have any stock of the replacement booster and would order one? He left the truck at the dealer! It was built in the recall time period but he never got a recall, dealer more or less indicated don't worry about it, they'd fix it eventually, never mentioned the recall until I found it online. Dealer was 5 star in our books, now not sure. Supposedly booster should be in next week, hopefully that will fix it, truck is parked in their lot for now.

Just found this thread and had the exact same thing happen to me yesterday. Truck is a Powerboost XLT built Jan 28th, but not on the recall list. Happened at about 6600 miles.

Wife and I were in the middle of rural Iowa on our way from Michigan to western South Dakota and as we slowed to come into a small town all kinds of warning lights lit up on the dash indicating a brake problem. Pedal went soft and had virtually no brakes. Small code brown moment for sure.

Fortunately, I had diagnostic tools/software with me so I was able to pull some codes (below) and confirmed it was electronic, and not a blown brake line or something like that. Was able to clear the codes and reset the module and carry on. The issue came back intermittently the rest of our 700 miles to my parents house; fortunately not failing in any situation that might cause an accident, but still unnerving knowing it could fail again at any moment.

Good to have this recall info to guide the dealer with a fix (hopefully can get in early this week). Hopefully these brake boosters aren't too long of a wait. ?

Codes pulled this morning after sitting overnight. Currently no MIL illuminated on the cluster:
  • 2 DTCs found in ECU ID: 0x760 (ABS)
    • DTC #1: 0x45CC00 (C05CC-00) [Brake Master Cylinder Piston Position Sensor "A" Circuit Range/Performance] Status: 0x28 (In History but Actively Passing)
      • Think this is the primary culprit
    • DTC #2: 0x459492 (C0594-92) [Brake Booster Motor "A" Performance - performance or incorrect operation]
  • 1 DTCs found in ECU ID: 0x791 (TRM)
    • DTC #1: 0xC14387 (U0143-87) [Lost Communication With Body Control Module "C" - missing message] Status: 0x0B (Failed This Operation Cycle)
      • Think this is probably unrelated, but will still have it checked out
  • 1 DTCs found in ECU ID: 0x7E6 (SOBDMC)
    • DTC #1: 0x459400 (C0594-00) [Brake Booster Motor "A" Performance] Status: 0x28 (In History but Actively Passing)

Buschlatte

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I had a very similar thing happen today. Dashboard light up, brakes got spongy, truck made around the same time in Dearborn. dropped the truck off today.

Sponsored

GaBoy69

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
QC
My brakes occasionally make a click/popping sound when pressed, anyone else experience this? Not the clicking sound of the switch being activated to illuminate the break lights. It’s separate and louder.
Mine is doing it as well. Not constantly but enough to know something is not right

burntire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT
Mine is doing it as well. Not constantly but enough to know something is not right
My brakes occasionally make a click/popping sound when pressed, anyone else experience this? Not the clicking sound of the switch being activated to illuminate the break lights. It’s separate and louder.
Mine was making 3 distinct pooping sounds. The dealer replaced the brake booster.

GaBoy69

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
QC
Mine has been to the dealer two times now for this popping. Had to go and show them on the second trip that it does make a popping sound. Now they tell me that all the 21's on the lot do it as well and it's just a Ford thing........It will only do it after it has been sitting awhile, just one time, then you have to wait perhaps an hour and it will "pop" again when pressed. It does sound like it's coming from the master cylinder area with the hood open. Don't know where to go with this now...

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Mine has been to the dealer two times now for this popping. Had to go and show them on the second trip that it does make a popping sound. Now they tell me that all the 21's on the lot do it as well and it's just a Ford thing........It will only do it after it has been sitting awhile, just one time, then you have to wait perhaps an hour and it will "pop" again when pressed. It does sound like it's coming from the master cylinder area with the hood open. Don't know where to go with this now...
How do you reproduce it? My dealer won't do anything unless they can get it to do it.

GaBoy69

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
QC
Brakes can not be applied for at least 45 minutes to an hour. I get in, apply the brake firmly without letting off pressure and "pop' can be felt in the pedal and heard coming from under the hood near the master cylinder area. Does it just the one time and then you have to wait again for about an hour. Will also do it after a long trip without applying brakes and coming up to a stop sign or traffic light. It's like something is losing pressure over time letting something over travel maybe?

Sponsored

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
I was driving across country with my KR when the electronic brake booster went out. All the warning lights came flashing on and telling me no anti lock, and everything brake relative. 2 thousand miles from home and no dealers in Wyoming willing to look at it evening though they had nothing on the lot to sell. Everytime I hit the brakes or got close to a car the lights would come on. Finally made it to Salt Lake City and I thought the dealers there could handle it.... turns out they there all book up with service and would have to wait a week to get it. Decided to cut trip short and headed back to PA.
Over 500 warnings on my Fordpass showing up and my dealership couldn't fit me in even to look at . Needless to say they are not my dealer to go now. I found a dealer (Keller Bros. Ford)that took it in and found the TSB problem and order the part over night and had it fix by the next morning . I was in the date range of the problem of the 51 trucks and the part was over $1700 which I was happy it was under warranty. This is my seventh new F150 over the years and the first major problem I had with them, so I guess I can't complain..... dealers a different story.

2drunk2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost XLT
My Powerboost (XLT 302A) seems to now be suffering from this as well. Wed night, was in fast food drive through and instrument cluster went crazy, warning lights flashing, malfunction messages for what seemed like everything (precollision, ABS, traction, hill, etc), warning chimes sounding non stop, brake pedal dropped, and truck started moving forward despite pressing pedal as far down as I could; this all happened almost instantly. Pumped breaks (not sure if it did anything) but I barley stopped in time from hitting the car in front of me, and I left a far amount of room between us initially. After this, when limping the truck through the drive through (was stuck in the line at this point), it took about 10ft to stop from a 1-2mph roll. Was going to limp the truck to open area of parking lot but the truck bucked (like bump starting a manual) and the cluster cleared and brake pressure returned. Carefully drove the truck few miles home and it has been parked since. Next avail service appointment is a few weeks away. Ford told me to use roadside assistance to bring it to dealer but when calling roadside assistance, they said my truck isn't covered; tried 3 times between Ford and Roadside. Ford told me I can do a claim for Roadside but no guarantee I will be reimbursed the almost $300 tow bill as Ford Roadside Assistance is not part of Ford Customer Care/ Warranty (cic or something like that); may just use my shitbox ram with 200k miles to tow my new 2/12/2021 build F150 (9k miles). I really like the truck but how catastrophically the brakes went out leaves me when a new level of paranoia.

Buschlatte

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
It ended up being my brake booster as well. I had both of my kids in the car when mine went out. Brake fluid reservoir was bone dry and it took the dealer about a week to get mine serviced. Ford needs to sac up and admit that more then 51 trucks are affected by this, someone is going to get killed.

if anyone is paranoid about it happening to them, keep a close eye on your brake fluid levels. I check mine about every other fill up now.

I was driving past the service entrance to the dealer I bought the car from on my way home with the kids when it happened. I spun it around and somehow stopped in the service bay. Big man upstairs was looking out that day.

and yes to the comment about making you paranoid to drive your new truck….absolutely It does. I know Ford makes one of the best trucks on the market and I should have nothing to fear but when a brake booster goes bad at 7k miles and they wont expand the recall it makes you wonder what else they are not expanding.

2drunk2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost XLT
Follow up to my previous post regarding loss of brakes. Dealer inspected and "determined ABS module had bad programming or incomplete programming. " Honestly, I would have sworn I had some type of hydraulic leak due to the pedal feel and the 10" spot under my truck. Dealer swore I had no leaks of any kind. When I picked up the vehicle, I showed the advisor the leak and we determined that it was transmission fluid, brake fluid reservoir seems fine. I tried to duplicate the brake failure by recreating the same scenario (at a safe location) but no issues so maybe the computer update resolved my issue but I am hesitant to fully believe that since they didn't see the dripping transmission fluid and the brake failure was intermittent to begin with. I guess only way to really know is to start using the truck again.

JPK

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost 7.2kw
Brakes can not be applied for at least 45 minutes to an hour. I get in, apply the brake firmly without letting off pressure and "pop' can be felt in the pedal and heard coming from under the hood near the master cylinder area. Does it just the one time and then you have to wait again for about an hour. Will also do it after a long trip without applying brakes and coming up to a stop sign or traffic light. It's like something is losing pressure over time letting something over travel maybe?
I have 10000 miles on mine, mostly highway, and about a month ago started noticing some pedal noise, popping, hissing, and the pedal is now getting spongy. Took it to my local dealership and of course they reported everything working normally. The truck still stops but the pedal feel is inconsistent and I am noticing a lag in the brakes retracting after taking my foot off the pedal, - maybe a half second or so but very disconcerting. Any ideas on how to get them to resolve this ?
Sponsored