Box tied down anchors defective?

RJ82

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Cleats didn't come with my truck...should they have? Need those knuckle busters...
Sponsored

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR SQ 4X4 PB
Occupation
Retired Army
My box links were also very tight but they went on easily with a few drops of 3 in 1 oil on the link.

awilli1010

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 f150 xlt sport, 2019 Jeep Wrangler unlimited
Occupation
Retired military and retired postal et.
I removed mine from my 2016 and they easily installed on my 2021. No issues at all.

cghall77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Only on Lariat and above.
Not standard, but they are also part of the XLT 302a package. Everyone I test drove had these sitting under the back seat in a plastic bag.

Sponsored

Derek83

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Mustang GT, 2021 F150 SCREW Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Anyone else have their truck come with these? Mine are defective and won’t slide in to the anchor points. I even went as far as taking the anchor point off and try it free hand, and no go. Covered under warranty maybe?

A28DB356-585F-4079-829E-4D6D035AA7CC.jpeg
I had the same issue with the ones closest to the cab. Took off the bracket and hammered them in from the back side. Just a tight fit.

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
I had the same issue with the ones closest to the cab. Took off the bracket and hammered them in from the back side. Just a tight fit.
I ended up doing the same

brnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat
There's a trick to putting the cleats on. You have to rock them forward and back while lifting. If you're facing the anchor point with the cleat lined up in the hole, lift while tipping the cleat up and down in front. It'll still be tight, but it will slide on without tools or trimming the cleat.
I know it's tacky to quote my own post, but this works. Give it a whirl. You don't need lube or tools.

Sponsored

Longhorngary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford F150 302A soon to be 2021 F150 KR PB
Great video, I remember having an issue with one of them but when I turned the key one direction to make sure it was unlocked I think it was, it went right in. I also had a rubber headed hammer made it much easier.

I did the same and just banged them in with a rubber mallet., but I agree with the OP that they are way tighter than they need to be. I didn't try filing them down but that's a good idea. Mine are installed and they won't be coming out after the pain in the rear installing them.

Pierre.Granger

First Name
Pierre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited
Occupation
Retired Navy
I was afraid the dealer spray-in bed liner was preventing the tie down from sliding. I took off one bracket to confirm the tie down was too tight. I resolved the issue with a rubber mallet.
Rubber mallet did the trick for me. Tolerances are tight but needed since it’s a tie down.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Some folks are swearing it is just technique, others swearing they won't fit. I think that each individual box link is different. On my 2017 they all slid in using the shimmy method or just sliding in, not extra tools.

On my '21, two of them went in tool-less. The other two, I tried dry lube and still no avail. Ended up using rubber mallet. They were diagonal from each other so it wasn't a left/right or front/rear thing. Just random.

So just want to point out, everyone's experience is valid and isn't a matter of just "doing it wrong". Sometimes they are easy and sometimes they are TIGHT!

Wilsons66605

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Power Boost Platinum, 2019 Raptor
Occupation
Retired
My 3rd f150 with these. Still haven’t tackled this on 2021.
i did see a video where the guy pounded them in upside down. That gives you a good place to wack and it trims the piece enough so you can insert it right side up.
Sponsored