First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021, 2012, 2008, 2004, F 150
Occupation
production line associate
Anyone else have their truck come with these? Mine are defective and won’t slide in to the anchor points. I even went as far as taking the anchor point off and try it free hand, and no go. Covered under warranty maybe?

A28DB356-585F-4079-829E-4D6D035AA7CC.jpeg

I had the same thought, ended up using a hammer 'gently'

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I handled this the easy way ( insert “EASY” button here)
had the dealer put them in before I picked up the truck.

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
Being this will be my first F150, and first pickup in 14 years, what is the lock for on these tie downs for? Is it just to keep someone from stealing the tie down itself, or can you use it to somehow lock the things you tie to it?

Last edited:

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
Same issue on my 2016 Plat- gotta play with them as they can be a real PIA - Pain In Ass. Video posted is great and sums it up.

Sponsored

Blue Beast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
I couldn't get them on either, busted a knuckle in the process. I used a round file to make the channels a wee bit larger, worked great

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Being this will be my first F150, and first pickup in 14 years, what is the lock for on these tie downs for? Is it just to keep someone from stealing the tie down itself, or can you use it to somehow lock the things you tie to it?
pretty sure they are there for securing the cleats themselves and also makes it possible to secure most any cargo from theft.
generator, welder, toolbox etc.

CnB150Lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, PB, Fx4, SuperCrew w/5.5 Bed
it’s so that the tie downs can’t be easily removed. I believe there are some Ford accessories that “lock” into them possibly?

GrandSport

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 f150, 2021 on order
Occupation
Admin
I had this same problem with my '21. I had to take the brackets off and use a rubber mallet to get them in place too. The box links on my '17 was much easier to get in.

N1TJ

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat EB 4x4 - Oxford White
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller • USAF Veteran
I don't think they are defective, but they are a pain to get in. You have to have them exactly square and flat. Then they will walk in.
This was exactly right! No mallet necessary. I gave up on the first attempt, read this, then went back out focusing on getting them super flat by rotating upwards from the bottom... voila. Walked right up with little effort! ?

Sponsored

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
My truck came with them installed. Only noticed the tightness when I was testing them out. I filed then a bit which makes it easier.

Lugusthedog

First Name
Lugus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Maxtow 3.5 EB
Occupation
retired
Insert straight in, give it a 30-45 degree twist so you catch one edge then straight it out as you yank it up. Extremely tight but doable.

JohngaltinOC

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 lariat EB
Occupation
Finance
I thought I was going nuts. Experienced just about everything mentioned here. I think I finally put my finger on it. Figured out it wasn't sprayed bed liner, wasn't that the tie down itself was too tight or the groove was too narrow. It looks like the metal bracket was given a concave curve when the manufacturer stamped that hole pattern where the tie down slides into it. It binds up when we start sliding it up. Had to remove one mounting plate to be able to see what's going on. Going to try the sideways thing and then the hammer before taking it into dealer....I guess not enough service guys have bitched to Ford about it yet

YOCUBED

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 GLE 450, 2016 BMW M3, 2021 F150 Limited
Occupation
Emergency Physician
Mine were terribly hard and tight to get in. I ended up having to get pretty aggressive with a rubber mallet and eventually it went in. There was definitely some excess plastic material in the channels of the cleats that required filing down. But they aren't going anywhere now

brnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat
There's a trick to putting the cleats on. You have to rock them forward and back while lifting. If you're facing the anchor point with the cleat lined up in the hole, lift while tipping the cleat up and down in front. It'll still be tight, but it will slide on without tools or trimming the cleat.
Sponsored