Sponsored

Bought My Winter Tires

Stubblejumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I wouldn't normally be shopping for winter tires/wheels in May, but four like new aluminum rims with sensors, and studded winter tires with very little use for $600, was too good to pass up.

Ford F-150 Bought My Winter Tires Resized_20210520_154842
Sponsored

85Mustangman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Supercab/ 6.5 box, 2.7, 302A, Antimatter
Occupation
Retired
I wouldn't normally be shopping for winter tires/wheels in May, but four like new aluminum rims with sensors, and studded winter tires with very little use for $600, was too good to pass up.

Resized_20210520_154842.jpeg
Kijiji is your friend? Looks like a great deal!
Just curious... are they winter rubber compound or just a more aggressive tread pattern?

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150

Resized_20210520_154842.jpeg

Get em’ while they’re hot!! ?☀

Wait..... or.... cold? ❄?⛈

Spring/Summer is probably a great time to buy actually!

KTMADVRDR

First Name
Dallas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 F350, 2004 BMW X5
Occupation
Physician
I'm interested in getting a set of take-off wheels for winter tires to put on my Platinum. I'll have my choice of wheels from the dealership since they do a lot of aftermarket work. Would you recommend going with 18" wheels? Any recs on good winter tires for the F-150?

Sponsored

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
I'm interested in getting a set of take-off wheels for winter tires to put on my Platinum. I'll have my choice of wheels from the dealership since they do a lot of aftermarket work. Would you recommend going with 18" wheels? Any recs on good winter tires for the F-150?
I highly recommend the Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3 . . . I’ve been running the LT2 on my past three trucks/SUV in Colorado and Montana winters.

John G

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat F150 FX4
When you change to your winter tires with new TPM senders how do you update the vehicle to adapt to the new sensors? Can this be done with Forscan?
Thanks

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
When you change to your winter tires with new TPM senders how do you update the vehicle to adapt to the new sensors? Can this be done with Forscan?
Thanks
I've done it both ways - just changing the tires but keeping the same wheels so no TPMS concerns as well as having a dedicated set of winter wheels/tires. For my 2013 Tundra I would just tape over the TPMS light on the dash :ROFLMAO: .

For my RAM 1500 and my wife's Jeep I had another set of sensors in those wheels - both vehicles auto detected them with no issues. I would hope the F150 will be the same.

KTMADVRDR

First Name
Dallas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 F350, 2004 BMW X5
Occupation
Physician
Are 18" wheels the smallest we can go? My spare is an 18" so I figured they would definitely work. Just wondering if 17's would as well. It used to be that winter tires were hard to get in certain sizes, or cost more if you could find them. I imagine that has probably changed by now as larger wheel sizes have kept growing in popularity.

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
Are 18" wheels the smallest we can go? My spare is an 18" so I figured they would definitely work. Just wondering if 17's would as well. It used to be that winter tires were hard to get in certain sizes, or cost more if you could find them. I imagine that has probably changed by now as larger wheel sizes have kept growing in popularity.
I haven’t confirmed but FWIW if you search the truck on tire rack they have a 17” OEM tire as well. They have a ton of inventory in 18” though so likely not an issue though if you are buying a second set of rims 17” might be cheaper.

Sponsored

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
If you don't have the Max Tow package, you can go to 17s.

Pete6114

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2023 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Retired Ford employee
Good find. I'm hoping the ones from my 2019 Stealth Expedition will fit my new F150 Platinum

Agashi25

First Name
Arban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT PP CO
Thanks
Got my TPMS remote from Amazon for like $10 it updates TPMS sensors to the car. Takes 3 min.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
Good find. I'm hoping the ones from my 2019 Stealth Expedition will fit my new F150 Platinum
The SUVs have 5 lugs, the F-150 has 6. The tires would also have different profiles (different overall diameter / rotations per mile.)

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
18s would be better for off-road and airing down. There's ample sidewall in the 20s on the F-150 for winter conditions. I'd rather not be floating around on 18s (the extra sidewall brings more flex and more rubbery handling) unless the purpose of the vehicle was off-road traction. The other advantage of 18s is cost – everything is cheaper in an 18. The wheel-tire could be a little bit lighter in an 18, which could result in a tiny improvement in mpg.
When I get winter wheels/tires, I'll probably go with 20s and increase the profile of the tire to add a little overall diameter then use FORScan to tweak the speedometer calibration or just remember the error factor (the dealer said they're not "allowed" to change the calibration in the newer vehicles.)
Sponsored