Sponsored

CptBligh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 302A 4x4 3.5
Occupation
Ag
I'm another in the camp of the EB sounds like poo so I'm not in favor of it being louder. I'll be happy with the some turbo whistle and quiet stock exhaust.

As for the exhaust power/torque I think it is given that anytime you see increased HP gains on the top end advertised a side effect is often lower torque on the low end. Back pressure/exhaust velocity whatever you want to call it. IIRC a lot of sports cars with the butterfly valves in the exhaust won't open until WOT and above 3k RPM or so.
Sponsored

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
I’m afraid that’s a byproduct of the EcoBoost being a V-6 engine. It’s never going to sound like a V8, unfortunately, but it sounds pretty dang good for what it is even in stock form.

That’s why I like the Touring series so far. Adds a bit of muscle sound without being overbearing. The S-Type and ATACs are too buzzy in my opinion.
That’s the byproduct of any engIne with less than 8 cylinders but there’s one exception……..The 4.0 flat-six of a Porsche GT 3.

Last edited:

DUDE

First Name
DUDE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F-150 COYOTE, 2021 F-150 3.5 ECOBOOST
I’m just beginning my research on aftermarket exhausts, but they consistently seem to be going for around $1,300-$2,000 for a 2021 F-150, so I think these are right on track to be competitive price wise.

I was not aware of that. Can you guys confirm, you loose overall torque when you add an aftermarket exhaust system? I’m not sure how that makes sense.
I’ve only seen it anecdotally on another f150 forum. It was a thread with a few tuners going at it about how to properly tune an ecoboost lol

DUDE

First Name
DUDE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F-150 COYOTE, 2021 F-150 3.5 ECOBOOST
That’s the byproduct of any engIne with less than 8 cylinders but there’s one exception……..The 4.0 flat-six of a Porsche GT 3.
It’s the high cylinder count and low engine volume (liters) that will give you that distinct euro sound also. Super cool sounding engines.

Doyouevenboost

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Subaru, 21 f150 502a ecoboost
Occupation
Utility maintenance worker
I’m just beginning my research on aftermarket exhausts, but they consistently seem to be going for around $1,300-$2,000 for a 2021 F-150, so I think these are right on track to be competitive price wise.

I was not aware of that. Can you guys confirm, you loose overall torque when you add an aftermarket exhaust system? I’m not sure how that makes sense.
That’s an old myth. An engine is an air pump, any sort of restriction is going to reduce power, and the catalysts are the biggest restriction of the exhaust anyways.. (not saying that the factory catback is a restriction at stock power levels)

Sponsored

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
That’s an old myth. An engine is an air pump, any sort of restriction is going to reduce power, and the catalysts are the biggest restriction of the exhaust anyways.. (not saying that the factory catback is a restriction at stock power levels)
Low end torque and exhaust mods is not a myth, but it's certainly dependent upon more than exhaust back-pressure (and usually only an issue with naturally aspirated engines, especially engines with primitive fuel management.)
I quite like the way the PowerBoost sounds when it's asked, but I do wish they'd put all this Hybrid R&D into a V8, especially since the PB is "only" 24 mpg.
For the cost of any of these systems, if the "benefit" is only aural, that's an expensive way to annoy the neighbors. If it adds 1 mpg or say 20 horses and torques without upsetting emissions or warranty then I'd be curious.
It's going to take some more R&D to work with whatever the PowerBoost needs (and whatever tricker is needed to change the tune without leaving any witness marks that could void the warranty when the water pump leaks or whatever else normally goes wrong.)

2021Platinum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Ever since I had a Billy Boat exhaust on my 06 I’ve been fine with the stock exhaust on all previous trucks. It could have something to do with getting older too…

Dresdie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Acura TSX
Borla indicated they plan to release an exhaust system for the Powerboost. Anyone have an indication when they might release that?

JDinNFLA

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Star White 3.5 EB
I’m afraid that’s a byproduct of the EcoBoost being a V-6 engine. It’s never going to sound like a V8, unfortunately, but it sounds pretty dang good for what it is even in stock form.

That’s why I like the Touring series so far. Adds a bit of muscle sound without being overbearing. The S-Type and ATACs are too buzzy in my opinion.
Just got the ATAK on my 3.5EB. Sure it’s not sounding like my GT350 but it’s got a great rumble cold start and surprisingly not raspy on take off. Sounds really good in my opinion. Had an ATAK on my previous 5.0 and it was very loud on WOT. On the 3.5 it’s not. Now we all know exhaust are very subjective. Paid $970 black side exhaust on AT.

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Just got the ATAK on my 3.5EB. Sure it’s not sounding like my GT350 but it’s got a great rumble cold start and surprisingly not raspy on take off. Sounds really good in my opinion. Had an ATAK on my previous 5.0 and it was very loud on WOT. On the 3.5 it’s not. Now we all know exhaust are very subjective. Paid $970 black side exhaust on AT.

Nice. Got a video?

Sponsored

Smokewagun

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lariat Lightning
Things are evolving. The EB sound will be the norm one day as V-8’s go by the wayside. I put a Corsa Extreme on my 2018 POS 5.0L several years ago. I was skeptical at first because it wasn’t that low rumble we had in the 70’s, but as my son said, things are evolving. The 5.0L with the Corsa Extreme sounded very close to a GT350. By the time I got rid of it, it was making it difficult to dump the POS due to the oil burning issue.

Slater2111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Occupation
Mechanic
I have the Touring exhaust. It is/was barely louder than stock. I wasn’t happy with it. I cut out the resonator Borla provides and now it sounds like a Raptor. I’m very happy with it now.

bosro

First Name
rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150
I'm curious about a little more sound....my 11 EB sounded pretty good,my 17 not so much.
I'm sorta wondering if I just replace the muffler....leaving everything else in place would do it.
Which muffler would be the question.
I think on 5L some guys were just putting in a magnaflow of some type to give some tone.
That being said I don't mind stock sound and really not going the route of a full system,which up here in Canada is probably 2k ish.
Sponsored