• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Boat Launch with EV?

Caskstrength

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E350, R1200GS
While its not always the case, sometimes during launch the rear end does get submerged temporally depending on the ramp and water levels. Has Ford addressed the issue of launching a boat with the Lightning and having any electronics, motors, or battery systems submerged?
Sponsored

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
I'm pretty sure there is video somewhere of it driving in very deep water for offroad testing. They also did brag that the entire battery casing is completely waterproof for reasons just like this.

Last edited:

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I also noticed the plugs in the bed seem to have rubberized gaskets around them that should help with this.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
not an issue. You'd never, ever submerge the truck to the axle level. Not ever. I have had every type of boat trailer, currently have five, from kayak to jet ski, to 35-foot catamaran fishing boat, use ramps from shallow to deep, do sometimes need to drop the wheels into the water, but would never go in beyond the bottom tire thickness, have never had to go even that far on shallow tidewater dirt ramps launching a high-mounted cat boat, which are the toughest to get into the water because the boat sits above the trailer wheels rather than between them. I also use my Tesla Model X for several of the trailers for launching, same experience.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I have a long tongue on my float on trailer and none of the borrowed launch vehicles I use ever get the wheels wet.

There are pics of Teslas going through really deep water that would stall out an ICE vehicle with no Superman reviving bolts of lightning.

https://insideevs.com/news/437552/video-tesla-model-3-boating-swimming-deep-water/

Having said that, having to get wheels in the water probably means you need a different rig setup.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Shumdit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model s, model x, 10 others....
Occupation
Car junkie
While its not always the case, sometimes during launch the rear end does get submerged temporally depending on the ramp and water levels. Has Ford addressed the issue of launching a boat with the Lightning and having any electronics, motors, or battery systems submerged?

Heavishot

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F-150
The question is… Did his frunk fill up with water??? :ROFLMAO:

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads