Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Admin
BLUECRUISE FORD POWER-UP SOFTWARE UPDATE TRANSFORMS F-150, MUSTANG MACH-E MODELS FOR HANDS-FREE DRIVING

JUL 28, 2022 | DEARBORN, MI
  • Ford BlueCruise adoption is quickly growing as 15,000 2021 F-150 and Mach-E customers have received the technology through Ford Power-Up software updates with 35,000 more in process; combined with factory offerings, approximately 66,500 customers are now enjoying the hands-free highway driving innovation that launched in July 2021
  • Available Ford BlueCruise hands-free driving more than doubled to 10.6 million miles since last month with Vegas and Cape Canaveral as top stretches of prequalified sections of divided highways called Hands-Free Blue Zones that make up more than 130,000 miles of North American roads
  • Ford BlueCruise is the best example yet of Ford Power-Up technology transforming ownership experiences by regularly making vehicles better over time and redefining periodic customer relationships to “always on”
  • Ford is aggregating voluntarily shared, anonymized data to make BlueCruise even better by refining visuals, sensing and steering to help the system ‘drive’ more like people
DEARBORN, Mi, July 28 – Ford BlueCruise* is sweeping North America with F-150™, Mustang Mach-E™ and other Ford vehicle customers accumulating 10.6 million miles of hands-free highway driving since the technology launched in July 2021.

And now Ford Power-Up software updates are bringing BlueCruise to even more customers who bought vehicles before the technology launched. Nearly 15,000 2021 F-150 and Mustang Mach-E customers already completed the BlueCruise software updates with another 35,000 in process. This adds to customers who bought vehicles with BlueCruise equipped at the factory, totaling about 66,500 customers enjoying hands-free highway driving.

“We are rapidly increasing the number of digital vehicles on the road with new services that create ‘always-on’ customer relationships with great software experiences,” said CEO Jim Farley. “BlueCruise is a great example as customers have driven more than 10 million miles hands-free in just one year since we launched the capability and delivered it with a Ford Power-Up software update.”

BlueCruise caps the first year of Ford Power-Up software updates, demonstrating the transformative capability to improve many computer-controlled vehicle systems – which most other major automakers lack – to regularly make vehicles better and deepen relationships with customers. Ford is using anonymized data insights customers voluntarily share to make BlueCruise even better by refining visuals, sensing and steering for more natural performance.

The pace of BlueCruise hands-free highway driving is accelerating as customers more than doubled mileage from last month alone – from 4.5 million miles to 10.6 million miles. This is another example of Ford bringing innovations to the masses, not just the few.

Recent BlueCruise data also shows customers are driving hands-free on highways most between Dallas and Houston, Salt Lake City and Las Vegas, and Cape Canaveral and Ft. Lauderdale.

“Ford Power-Up technology is the gift that keeps giving. Ford BlueCruise software updates are a powerful example of this. One day you’re driving normally and the next hands-free,” said Farid Abdulhadi, program manager, Ford Power-Up Technology. “Ford is helping lead the mainstream adoption of advanced software update capability, similar to how smartphones changed the world of flip phones.”

The BlueCruise software update highlights a series of new features and enhancements – including Mustang Mach-E games, EV charging and driving upgrades as well as F-150 productivity features – Ford has delivered in the first year since launching the technology.

# # #

* Available feature. Includes a three-year connected service plan with regular map updates after which purchase is required. Requires FordPass® App and modem activation. Driver-assist features are supplemental and do not replace the driver’s attention, judgment and need to control the vehicle. Ford BlueCruise is a hands-free highway driving feature. Only remove hands from the steering wheel when in a Hands-Free Blue Zone. Always watch the road and be prepared to resume control of the vehicle. It does not replace safe driving. See Owner’s Manual for details and limitations.
Sponsored

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
I finally got my update. Truck/App never told me, but it works. Tried it out for 5 minutes on the interstate and my wife said it was making her sick. The truck autocorrects constantly, a lot more than it did with the lane keep on and no BlueCruise. It is pretty noticeable and, she is right, a bit sickening.

Mcbutter

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F250
Occupation
System Protection Technician
I finally got my update. Truck/App never told me, but it works. Tried it out for 5 minutes on the interstate and my wife said it was making her sick. The truck autocorrects constantly, a lot more than it did with the lane keep on and no BlueCruise. It is pretty noticeable and, she is right, a bit sickening.
I had that issue too. Mine actually stopped working yesterday and is now back to working today on the same highway. I dove a longer distance this morning using it and it swayed terribly. I saw on a Mach-E forum that if you make the following distance further out it helps, tried it on the way back and it seemed to be less sway from left to right.

Demps

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Limited Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
If I'm reading the hype correctly, 15,000 of 50,000 Job 1 F-150's and Mach E's have finally gotten BlueCruise, just 30% in a year. I got it in the first 15,000, not by Power-Up updates, and it took a year. At this rate it will be years before all Job 1 vehicles have BlueCruise. Not something I would brag about.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Really curious what the main contribution is regarding the variations between trucks?
I've had 2 Powerboosts and although there are some specific circumstances where the function is less than ideal for good lane keeping behavior, for the most part they have done a good job. Especially considering the development is still pretty much new.

I wonder if a recalibration of the IPMA would have any affect? Or is the Bluecruise camera even connected to the IPMA?

STM

First Name
SM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F 150 XLT
Occupation
Home Builder
I have had my truck just one week and it came with Bluecruise already installed.. We have 4 highways in town and it works on all of them..
I use the highways daily and multiple times a day... Bluecruise works really well... Very steady and smooth! I have been really impressed with it.. In rush hour, bumper to bumper traffic, it can come to a complete stop and will resume by itself..

The only issue I have is.. It seems like the truck is closer to the right lane marker than the left side.. I am still trying to determine if this is real or imagined by me...

Demps

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Limited Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
The only issue I have is.. It seems like the truck is closer to the right lane marker than the left side.. I am still trying to determine if this is real or imagined by me...
Probably real. Does it with lane keeping. I had hoped BlueCruise would do better.

STM

First Name
SM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F 150 XLT
Occupation
Home Builder
Probably real. Does it with lane keeping. I had hoped BlueCruise would do better.
I am wondering if anyone has a solution for this..

Is there a way to calibrate the system to center more?

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
I have had my truck just one week and it came with Bluecruise already installed.. We have 4 highways in town and it works on all of them..
I use the highways daily and multiple times a day... Bluecruise works really well... Very steady and smooth! I have been really impressed with it.. In rush hour, bumper to bumper traffic, it can come to a complete stop and will resume by itself..

@STM - I had it installed in my Powerboost Platty 2 weeks ago (took the dealership 2 days) and had similar observations - smooth and safe but seems to track closer to the passenger-side lane marker. (I thought it was just me).

Maybe I don’t do enough long haul trips but I don’t see this as the major innovation that Ford’s Marketing Dept is hyping.

Sponsored

TechGodfather

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Chief Technology Advisor

Same experience for me. It’s so damn close to right marker it makes me uncomfortable.

Glenshellach

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost Lariat
How does a person know if their F150 is Blue Cruise capable? What should I look for on the window sticker. I have 502A and FORD CO-PILOT360 ASSIST 2.0. Is this all I need?

bbene

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 Lariat 502A Powerboost
Occupation
Software Engineer
How does a person know if their F150 is Blue Cruise capable? What should I look for on the window sticker. I have 502A and FORD CO-PILOT360 ASSIST 2.0. Is this all I need?
Blue Cruise would be FORD CO-PILOT 360 ACTIVE 2.0

jeepin95

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat Powerboost 502A
I was finally able to use it on my 22 Powerboost I picked up at the end of June. I've used it a couple times on my commute, but this was my first 600 mile weekend down I5 in WA/OR without the RV trailer. Overall I was happy and it did make the drive more relaxing. It did seem to hug the passenger side a little, and seems like it would be happy to just hold the lane and let a drifting car run into you...not sure why they don't take the side sensors into account or maybe I just wasn't brave enough to wait long enough to find out.

I do wish that they took speed into account for the corners that it wants your hands back on the wheel. While I get that it may be better at speed on some of the sharper corners, why not let it handle the driving when traffic is only going 25? Why not enable it on all well marked roads at low speeds? Maybe this can come in a future update?

I'm also curious how it would react in a strong crosswind or a blown tire. Obviously you have to be ready to take over, but would it sense a strong gust or blown tire as driver input and drift hard while you try grabbing the wheel or will it hold the line and prompt you to take control?
Sponsored