Sponsored

Peter P

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger XLT
Ford’s BlueCruise Ousts GM’s Super Cruise as CR’s Top-Rated Active Driving Assistance System

Tesla Autopilot falls to midpack as other high-tech systems improve

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...riving-assistance-systems-review-a2103632203/

January 25, 2023

How We Rated the Systems
The 12 active driving assistance systems we tested were put through their paces around the track at our 327-acre Auto Test Center in Connecticut and on a 50-mile loop on public roads between September and December 2022. Each system was rated for its performance in 40 separate tests, such as steering the car, controlling the speed, and keeping the driver safe and engaged with the act of driving. Additional features such as automatic lane changes or reacting for traffic lights were not evaluated in this test.

Ford F-150 BlueCruise rated #1 in Consumer Reports 2023 Driver Assistance Rankings screenshot-2023-01-25-at-8-55-03-am-

Ford F-150 BlueCruise rated #1 in Consumer Reports 2023 Driver Assistance Rankings screenshot-2023-01-25-at-8-55-19-am-

Ford F-150 BlueCruise rated #1 in Consumer Reports 2023 Driver Assistance Rankings screenshot-2023-01-25-at-8-55-27-am-
Sponsored

2AActuary

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Plat, Bronco; Audi R8, S5, Q7; Cayenne
That's quite encouraging.

It's interesting when I talk about BlueCruise with friends or family. Pretty much anyone over 50 gives the response similar to "I don't trust it". Um - okay, I'm sure your reflexes in your 70's are better than a computer.

Sponsored

Skier167

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150

It's interesting when I talk about BlueCruise with friends or family. Pretty much anyone over 50 gives the response similar to "I don't trust it". Um - okay, I'm sure your reflexes in your 70's are better than a computer.
I get the same response as well. I just tell them it lets me watch all the other idiots on the road a little more and they agree with that.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
I desperately want the lane changing feature. Once I have that(if it is ever possible) it will be perfect for my needs.
gm has this and it SCARES me thinking folks will do it like the commercial... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

mercedes being so low in the list surprises me. they spent mucho dinero mapping the system for OTR trucks in the fatherland.

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
How can Blue Cruise, or any of the the other systems be rated the same as Tesla for capabilities??? Not even close. Tesla can do so much more than any of the others. Strange.

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost

This. So much this. Stubborn people are silly.

PatchManager

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew
Occupation
Firmware Engineer
So it’s ranked highest because it has the most annoying driver alert features.
I generally like Consumer Reports, but for some things they hyper focus in one area and miss the mark in general. I really like the features in our F150 and our Highlander, but Ford isn't close to Tesla's capabilities and Toyota isn't close to Ford.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost

I was one of those people who thought and said not for me.

Then I found myself enamored with Adaptive Cruise and Lane Centering in a Genesis rental.

Ate the Crow and never looked back.

Wolverine7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost, 2023 Tesla Model Y LR
Having both a Ford with BC and a Tesla with FSD, it's true that the Tesla has more potential capabilities. However, the Tesla in FSD does feel like you're with a teenager driving and will have a few questionable points every trip. Some of the most annoying ones are phantom braking (think dropping 20mph suddenly) when there isn't damn thing on the road. You can hit the bug report button to send video of the last few seconds to help fix it. So, while It has a cool factor to it, and hopefully someday will be really smooth, it's just not ready for prime time.

What is comparable for now, apples to apples, is the highway operation (Autopilot on Tesla - actually comes free on all Teslas) versus BC. While some people have mentioned the whole trust thing, I find it to be a very useful stress release and makes highway driving much more enjoyable. I had a rental car a few weeks ago that felt like the stone ages with having to manually steer the whole time. However, I prefer BC over Tesla AP because the BC doesn't nag or require anything from a driver looking forward. The Tesla (despite having cameras looking at the driver eyes) still randomly drops in a check every minute or so, much like lane centering without BC would be. I've learned that the volume thumb wheel counts, so one click up and one click down registers for the nag (no more need to jiggle the steering wheel), but for the sheer ease and arm rest, I like the BC.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning -Lariat ER, Model 3
Occupation
IT
Did they seem to overlook that when true Hands Free disengages on Blue Cruise that if you don't notice the icon turning off your SOL? Seriously just add a ding to get your attention. Of course then we'd just turn it off because it would ding so often.

From my experience I'm taking my Tesla system first still every day.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150

I'm in that 50+ age group and I love it when doing highway driving. I'm sure once one for those people dips their toe in the water, they would like it. I'm eager for BC 1.2

2AActuary

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Plat, Bronco; Audi R8, S5, Q7; Cayenne
I'm in that 50+ age group and I love it when doing highway driving. I'm sure once one for those people dips their toe in the water, they would like it. I'm eager for BC 1.2
Completely agree. And - for the record, I am very close to the 50+ age group.
Sponsored