Sponsored

BlueCruise on non-Co-Pilot360 Active prep?

imgone10

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 FJ Cruiser, 15 TRD Pro 4Runner, 2021 Lariat.
Occupation
Construction / US Army 84-96
Interesting indeed. I have 502A, Technology Package, CP360 Assist, no parking assist, and I don't have the front parking sensors.

Now I'm wondering if I was supposed to.
I'm the same as you, 502A, tech package, and CP360 assist and no front sensors.
Sponsored

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
OP
OP
apMechorse

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A 5.0L FX4 & '15 Audi A5 T2
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Wow that’s definitely odd the 502A non-Active owners don’t get the front parking sensors. I have them but ironically park assist isn’t available on the XLT at all.

Sponsored

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
The 502a missing the front sensors was a packaging mistake. A dealer acknowledged it after reaching out to Ford about the odd lack of front sensors. I had to have my dealer edit my order to add 360 Active once I found out, and now I have them.

Anyway, to clear it up, if you don't have a 502a or higher with the ACTIVE or BlueCruise (NOT Assist) Prep Package, there is no BlueCruise in your future. The door sensor pictured earlier in this thread and the other in the center stack won't be on your truck, and more importantly, it is lacking actual computational hardware involved in doing the eye reading and integration with the mapping system. Plus you would need a different gauge cluster as you need the full layout cluster to see the BlueCruise status, etc.

The email saying your vehicle is ready was a mistake, and as noted earlier it says you need the Prep package hardware. I suspect someone in charge of putting together the mailing list fell for the same mistake I have seen many fall for the misunderstanding between 360 Assist and Active, because it's such a poor naming system, not surprised at all if someone at Ford even tripped up on it.

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Isn't "360 assist" the keyword? a tech pack is different
Basically this thread is to find out who has the components needed to potentially upgrade to Active. Not all 360 Assist 2.0 builds are apparently the same. You're not going to be able to upgrade easily if you don't have the front parking sensors...you'll need a whole new bumper for that just to start...

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The 502a missing the front sensors was a packaging mistake. A dealer acknowledged it after reaching out to Ford about the odd lack of front sensors. I had to have my dealer edit my order to add 360 Active once I found out, and now I have them.

Anyway, to clear it up, if you don't have a 502a or higher with the ACTIVE or BlueCruise (NOT Assist) Prep Package, there is no BlueCruise in your future. The door sensor pictured earlier in this thread and the other in the center stack won't be on your truck, and more importantly, it is lacking actual computational hardware involved in doing the eye reading and integration with the mapping system. Plus you would need a different gauge cluster as you need the full layout cluster to see the BlueCruise status, etc.

The email saying your vehicle is ready was a mistake, and as noted earlier it says you need the Prep package hardware. I suspect someone in charge of putting together the mailing list fell for the same mistake I have seen many fall for the misunderstanding between 360 Assist and Active, because it's such a poor naming system, not surprised at all if someone at Ford even tripped up on it.
Yeah that makes sense. Ford's naming scheme is similar to the Xbox naming scheme.

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Basically this thread is to find out who has the components needed to potentially upgrade to Active. Not all 360 Assist 2.0 builds are apparently the same. You're not going to be able to upgrade easily if you don't have the front parking sensors...you'll need a whole new bumper for that just to start...
The front parking sensors have nothing to do with BlueCruise. They are for parking, so they don't matter here. The truck would need Intelligent Adaptive Cruise, which many have, but the actual BlueCruise is hands-free driving, which means the sensors that monitor your eyes/face. Those are the most visible thing lacking in non-BC capable trucks.

IAC doesn't use those parking sensors either. 502a trucks without them can still do IAC. The sensor have a range of something 10 feet. The main radar system used in adaptive cruise was located behind the bumper last gen, not sure if it still is or if it was relocated. The lane keep is done by a camera behind the mirror.

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Another shot of one of the two interior sensors with everything in place. Even caught the IR lighting up.

Ford F-150 BlueCruise on non-Co-Pilot360 Active prep? 1631307751433

Sponsored

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
That may or may not actually be true. Ford has never really stated (To my knowledge) what’s actually different hardware-wise between Active and Assist. As someone noted, it could have entirely different internal computers, possibly different radar/lidar sensors installed, as well as numerous other differences.

Even if it was technically possible to retrofit it, they just won’t bother offering it. It’s considered a premium feature and requires 502A+ trim, simple as that. Same way GM only offers SuperCruise on the top level models. They know it’s a desirable feature, so you have to pay for the other nice upgrades to get it.

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
That may or may not actually be true. Ford has never really stated (To my knowledge) what’s actually different hardware-wise between Active and Assist. As someone noted, it could have entirely different internal computers, possibly different radar/lidar sensors installed, as well as numerous other differences.

Even if it was technically possible to retrofit it, they just won’t bother offering it. It’s considered a premium feature and requires 502A+ trim, simple as that. Same way GM only offers SuperCruise on the top level models. They know it’s a desirable feature, so you have to pay for the other nice upgrades to get it.
I would suspect the more likely difference is probably not sensors (there is no LIDAR by the way) and more likely the system on a chip package they are using. If there is a difference I would suspect that is the key one. The other sensor I would most likely suspect would be high resolution GPS for enabling HD maps. Not sure if there is a major cost difference for the GPS but if there is guessing that would be the other main change they make.

Blaze

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Just get a small ankle weight w 360 assist.

Bexiga

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Limited PB, 2019 Honda Accord Touring 2.0
Occupation
Operations Supervisor
Just get a small ankle weight w 360 assist.
Saw a video on you tube where someone attached a ankle weight to the steering wheel, worked great, lol

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
Saw a video on you tube where someone attached a ankle weight to the steering wheel, worked great, lol
Realize this is a joke but still wanted to remind people who don’t think of it that way that BlueCruise does NOT operate in the same way as standard CoPilot 360, and that the difference isn’t just a camera.

BlueCruise relies on HD Maps to predict upcoming road conditions, which is what allows it to provide more advanced features than standard CoPilot or other advanced ADAS including hands free driving. There are currently no systems that allow hands free driving by ANY automaker that rely only on vision/radar as the standard CoPilot 360 does.
Sponsored