Sponsored

BlueCruise = lane assist and adaptive cruise control?

4dRunningMan

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Systems Engineering Management
Please help me understand something. If I have lane assist and adaptive cruise control set, is this considered Bluecruise? With the two set, I can only keep my hands off the steering wheel for about 20 seconds. Or, is there an additional setting when both lane assist and adaptive cruise control are set, that allows you to keep your hands off the steering wheel longer?
Sponsored

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
It's similar to bluecruise, but not it. Bluecruise only works on Ford-approved mapped roads (interstates and other access-restricted road section). See their published map here: https://www.ford.com/technology/blu...4746&msclkid=b399b57d553a13fc05f0d03ef45d948e

Outside of the approved bluecruise routes, it'll function the way you describe, which is that it requires your hands on the wheel. My understanding is that this requirement is to ensure that you're able to react as fast as possible to situations that the lane-centering and ACC systems aren't designed to anticipate (for example, cross-traffic entering the roadway in front of you).

Once bluecruise is enabled, your instrument panel should look like this (left side, denoting “hands-free”):
Ford F-150 BlueCruise =  lane assist and adaptive cruise control? IMG_5468

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
OP
OP
4dRunningMan

4dRunningMan

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Ok, so, once I have lane assist and adaptive cruise control set, and I'm on an "approved" interstate, how then is Bluecruise initiated? Is it automatic or is there a button somewhere?

speedracercjr

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat EB
Occupation
O&G
Ok, so, once I have lane assist and adaptive cruise control set, and I'm on an "approved" interstate, how then is Bluecruise initiated? Is it automatic or is there a button somewhere?
It's automatic if your truck is equipped with the BC hardware needed.

Sponsored

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
It's the same button that you use to turn on the ACC/lane-centering systems. It'll automatically switch over to "hands-free" if it detects that you're on an approved highway. Edit: I think that I might be wrong here; I think that it'll ask if you want to switch, rather than just doing it. However, once you've said that you want it, and it temporarily turns off for some reason (say, you change lanes), it will automatically reengage when it can, until you turn it back off again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
4dRunningMan

4dRunningMan

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Ok, I did see a few videos that help explain it, but nothing mentions anything about how long you can keep your hands off the steering wheel. Is it indefinitely as long as you remain on the highway and your eyes are looking forward (i.e., paying attention)?

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Ok, I did see a few videos that help explain it, but nothing mentions anything about how long you can keep your hands off the steering wheel. Is it indefinitely as long as you remain on the highway and your eyes are looking forward (i.e., paying attention)?
Pretty much. There are situations where it detects that it needs to relinquish control (for example, if the lane striping disappears), and then it'll beep at you to notify you that you need to put your hands back on the wheel. But I've gone for 20+ miles at a time without hands on the wheel--it's completely dependent upon road conditions.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
For the most part, there are area's on the maps where there is no blue cruise coverage, it will disengage and warn you to put your hands on the wheel.

Ford has the mapping tool on this page, you do a search and it will tell you how much of the drive will be blue cruise.
https://www.ford.com/technology/bluecruise/

Ford F-150 BlueCruise =  lane assist and adaptive cruise control? screenshot_239

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Ford's nomenclature is poor. If a vehicle has bluecruise equipped, ford considers all lane centering to be "bluecruise". The hands free mode will turn on automatically in approved areas, typically interstates with clearly marked lines.

If you're unsure of what your truck came with, check the sticker.
- Co pilot 360 active is bluecruise
- Assist 2.0 has no hands-free capability from the factory, but the comma 3x can still be added which makes bluecruise look its 4yr age. Both have the same underlying code for operation so neither is 'better' than the other.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
4dRunningMan

4dRunningMan

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Yep! It has FORD CO-PILOT360 ASSIST 2.0 on the sticker. Thanks!

azdub1

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum 5.0L
Occupation
lodging quality / operations
Hey All, chiming in here. I'm been scared to use BlueCruise since last Christmas when it took them a week to download all the module updates and it quit failing. But, it apparently finally went through. I attempted to use BC yesterday during a completely sunny day and looking straight ahead and had light traffic. It kept telling me to look ahead even though I was (I did have my Oakleys on) but that doesn't bother me as much as it does when it says "keep your hands on the wheel." Well, then it's not really HANDS-FREE then is it? What am I missing? Isn't the purpose of BC to be hands-free? Then why do I have to keep holding the steering wheel? Is there something wrong with mine or what am I missing? Thanks for the insight! -Andrea

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Look ahead command is not telling you to keep your hands on the wheel.
Two different requirements.

Since I found that I keep my hands on the wheel regardless of whether Bluecruise engages or not, I just turned the eye scanner off because the dang thing is engaged even when I'm NOT on a Bluecruise road.

Since Ford chose to keep the eye scanner in play even when it is NOT necessary, AND since I'm not clapping to Queen while driving, I just nixed Bluecruise.

Admittedly I am watching those OP pioneers closely. Pretty intriguing stuff. :)

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
I seldom use cruise control on my F-150 as it is too aggressive and will drop my truck's speed dramatically as the code does not differentiate between a vehicle at a steady speed and one that is slowing down or even one that is slowing down in another lane.

Programmers need to code for every situation and then there needs to be testing of the code to insure it works as intended. Seldom is the testing phase being done at all. The customer becomes the guinea pig and gets to pay for the privilege.

I wish all these "features" could be completely disabled. My Mercedes 3500 Sprinter had a lane assist that would activate whenever there were cross winds buffeting the vehicle. I was very happy to sell the Sprinter and get something without this feature.

OP
OP
4dRunningMan

4dRunningMan

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Yeah, I don’t care too much for the aggressive braking when someone gets in front of you, and then the “flooring” acceleration when they move.
Sponsored