First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 platinum powerboost
Occupation
Retired
I have 1.2 on my platinum along with Parking assist. It required a 2021 ipma with 2023 software. It will be seen what ford does in the future to demand the 600.00 subscription in the future. It's true as snakebitten said about revisions adding better code. With my 2016 lane centering used only the windshield camera and is very gimmicky. With my 2022 lane centering uses all my sensors. Windshield, mirror, the prox censors on each corner, the most outside bumper sensors. What hammaman said about same code is verifiable untrue. The code between windows 10 and windows 11 is massively different as was clear back to windows 3. Each version builds upon each other. I'm not saying that every line of code between bc 1.0 and 1.2 is completely different. Each version builds upon prior versions.
In this life I'm a developer for aircraft autopilot systems in experimental aircraft. Accuracy is in my wheel house. I'm pretty versed in the sensors ford uses.
I'm impressed with how ford pulled all the software, cameras and sensors together to produce a confident inspiring experience.
There is room for improvement tho. Like when passing an exit ramp. If the lines on the right break the blue cruise pauses. Not every time but often. It does resume when passed. I like how the system works when there is merging traffic. Like when someone on an entrance ramp pushes into your lane. I feel the system has that vehicle in its sight and is anticipating the bone head move.
Gone are the days when my truck bounces from side to side. I'm locked into the center of the lane and during curves the truck navigates smoothly. Lane changing is something that unless you experience it first hand you can't understand how advantageous that is in the whole scope of hands free mode.
Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I have 1.2 on my platinum along with Parking assist. It required a 2021 ipma with 2023 software. It will be seen what ford does in the future to demand the 600.00 subscription in the future. It's true as snakebitten said about revisions adding better code. With my 2016 lane centering used only the windshield camera and is very gimmicky. With my 2022 lane centering uses all my sensors. Windshield, mirror, the prox censors on each corner, the most outside bumper sensors. What hammaman said about same code is verifiable untrue. The code between windows 10 and windows 11 is massively different as was clear back to windows 3. Each version builds upon each other. I'm not saying that every line of code between bc 1.0 and 1.2 is completely different. Each version builds upon prior versions.
In this life I'm a developer for aircraft autopilot systems in experimental aircraft. Accuracy is in my wheel house. I'm pretty versed in the sensors ford uses.
I'm impressed with how ford pulled all the software, cameras and sensors together to produce a confident inspiring experience.
There is room for improvement tho. Like when passing an exit ramp. If the lines on the right break the blue cruise pauses. Not every time but often. It does resume when passed. I like how the system works when there is merging traffic. Like when someone on an entrance ramp pushes into your lane. I feel the system has that vehicle in its sight and is anticipating the bone head move.
Gone are the days when my truck bounces from side to side. I'm locked into the center of the lane and during curves the truck navigates smoothly. Lane changing is something that unless you experience it first hand you can't understand how advantageous that is in the whole scope of hands free mode.
Send me the IPMA and watch how it behaves in the assist 2.0 truck. Want to make bets?

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I have
The 1.2 update does bring the full functionality down to the hands-on mode, including lane change and lane scootch. The 23 MME comes with 1.2 from the factory. They also deleted the parking assist feature which I believe was the the side ultrasonics. They won't divulge precisely what sensors are used, including the cameras (I suspect those are being used for lane change).

Somewhere, there's going to be a line drawn, probably quite ugly, as to which F150s can get the official 1.2 software. Given the MME delete, we can assume the side firing ultrasonics aren't in the equation. One thing ford did w/ the MME is put the 360 cams in all cars making it a paid feature that can be later activated -- that's a sign IMO.

The revised centering logic will trickle into all of the trucks that have it (easy given due to increased safety), as to lane change I'm going to assume that will be limited to 360 cam vehicles. I don't see any other means for making sure the vehicle doesn't merge on top of a motorcycle w/out 'vision'. No ADAS system has 'memory' (tracking of occluded objects) outside of tesla's beta, so it doesn't know if something is perfectly hidden along side of it w/out taking a peek via camera.
They all still have bliss at all 4 corners. The trucks with APA delete still have all the parking sensors. The only thing they did was delete a Lin Chip out of the IPMA.

The Bliss is what is used for lane biasing. Along with the side parking sensors. The Bliss front and rear is what is used for lane change

Im fairly certain 1.2 will come to all 21 F150. Since 21-23 have the same hardware.

Waveslider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SCREW Lariat 4WD
I want BC 1.2 now 😢

😁
I’m anxiously awaiting 1.2 as well. I dropped off my truck for a transfer case leak today and asked if they can do something about my BC ping ponging between the lanes. The service writer told me Ford has put a hold on all BC troubleshooting. They recently had a truck they tried to update and he says it jacked up the truck, apparently they can’t even get it started now..

Sponsored

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
Not saying it is perfect or that you should like it or need it. Just letting you know that CD considers it the best ADA system currently. Better than Mercedes and even better than GM's Super Cruise.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I did some more digging, it doesn't appear that the parking sonars are used in any way. The corner radars are better than I initially assumed. They're mmWave phased arrays with 100 degrees of rated vision (likely able to detect function adequately at 120 degrees). The fronts fire out to the sides @ 90 degrees from forward centerline, just forward of the front wheels. The rears are at a 45 degree offset and really can't see much more forward than directly to the side with . The front and rears are the same units, ,the rears are just tucked into a little mounting bracket that fits them into the tail lights. The rears combined have a 190 degree FOV, and have the ability to detect imminent rear end collision. Not sure why ford didn't make that a safety option, possibly even have the vehicle move to mitigate the hit if room exists in front.

I did see the variables utilizing the cameras, but it's unclear to what degree. I'd wager the lane bias is done by frontal vision while watching traffic in the opposite lane via the radars. There's zero need for the sonars as they're quite dumb compared to the capability of the radars. The cruise radar can see pedestrians and objects in the road, but the car will just let you run things over instead of alert / avoid. Perhaps we'll see obstacle avoidance in a future release, but I'm not holding my breath given ford's past performance. The radars deliver their data in a cloud point form, here's a look at what they're 'seeing' (also uses doppler to measure velocity) -- very lidar-esque.

Ford F-150 BlueCruise 1.2 installed in F-150 -- review & hands-free driving video 1679468861930

The vendor's new units have much higher resolution and can even measure heights of vehicles, openings, etc..., claiming to surpass lidar's current capabilities. The assist 2.0 trucks don't have the frontal side radars, I'm going to add them to see just how much capability can be unlocked short of the CMRs since all other sensors are present.

brett_g

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tremor 402A
Occupation
GC
Just a bump because I want 1.2!

JeffBea

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 E-250, 2020 Explorer, 2021 F-150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Plumber
I was checking my BC expiration date a few weeks ago and mine doesn't expire anytime soon. Glitch?

Ford F-150 BlueCruise 1.2 installed in F-150 -- review & hands-free driving video 2023-02-14 16.33.31

Sponsored

RcFlyer330

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Limited Powerboost
I was checking my BC expiration date a few weeks ago and mine doesn't expire anytime soon. Glitch?

2023-02-14 16.33.31.jpg
nope not a glitch. when sync updateed to 4.2 i am pretty sure everyones bluecruse now expires in 2073. if you take a look a the 4.2.1 update thread someone asked the same question

correction it was the OTA Ford Power-Up 3.5.3 and upcoming Alexa Built-in roll-out on page 45

Last edited:

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Amazing that it only took 18 months of bluecruise expiring for ford to finally get around to doing something that made sense. It's a bad sign.
Sponsored