First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 PB Platinum
Occupation
IT
I had been disappointed with BlueCruise using it locally. Today I was on Interstates that are covered by BlueCruise. Overall I was impressed. It did a good job. Twice in 100 miles it dropped out temporarily which was much better than I had experienced driving locally. The truck stayed centered in the lane and the system was rock solid in execution. I would have preferred it be a little less "centered" when passing 18 wheelers, but that supposedly has been addressed in BC 1.2 if we ever get it. Also the drop-outs in sharper curves should be handled by BC 1.2 since it has the capability to slow down for curves. Where I was disappointed was when it started raining. BC went inactive in very light rain showers. I understand hard downpours due to sensor interference. My previous vehicles have done well in normal rain but have shut down the sensor in downpours. I suspect Ford's algorithms are a bit more litigation averse by design. After my experience I am pleased with BC 1.0 but really want to get access to BC 1.2 for the improvements.
Sponsored

Seahawk51

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Mercedes GLS450, 2013 Chevy Equinox, 2021 Ford F-150 on order
Occupation
Retired
I had been disappointed with BlueCruise using it locally. Today I was on Interstates that are covered by BlueCruise. Overall I was impressed. It did a good job. Twice in 100 miles it dropped out temporarily which was much better than I had experienced driving locally. The truck stayed centered in the lane and the system was rock solid in execution. I would have preferred it be a little less "centered" when passing 18 wheelers, but that supposedly has been addressed in BC 1.2 if we ever get it. Also the drop-outs in sharper curves should be handled by BC 1.2 since it has the capability to slow down for curves. Where I was disappointed was when it started raining. BC went inactive in very light rain showers. I understand hard downpours due to sensor interference. My previous vehicles have done well in normal rain but have shut down the sensor in downpours. I suspect Ford's algorithms are a bit more litigation averse by design. After my experience I am pleased with BC 1.0 but really want to get access to BC 1.2 for the improvements.
We just got home from a 4,412 trip from St Augustine to Quebec City and other points. At least 3,000 miles of it was on Blue Cruise highways, including in Canada. The truck performed well, it was extremely comfortable, and I averaged 22.1 mpg for the whole trip, averaging 75 mph on the freeways. And then there's Blue Cruise.

I used Blue Cruise everywhere it indicated it was available. On long straightaways it was dependable. It dropped off the line on at least 75% of the exits I passed if I was in the right lane. It dropped off for at least half of the curves, nearly all of which were engineered for the posted speed with no yellow recommended reduced speeds. If I hit a really rough patch of freeway (rough is saying something since most of the Interstates were crap), it dropped off the line. And sometimes it just dropped off the line on a relatively smooth, straight section with no traffic and no construction just because it wanted to. That would be accompanied by a warning tone, a warning message to assume control, and the word "cancelled" on the indicator for the adaptive control distance.

Blue Cruise remains a novelty, and it is barely 2.0 as described by the EPA: " Level 2 automated cars can control both speed and steering at the same time, but only under certain conditions, such as below a set speed limit." Full automation which requires no human intervention is 5.0.

One thing is for certain. Based on the prices I've seen bandied about for a subscription to Blue Cruise, there's no way I'm paying for it. Not until its at least a legitimate 3.0.

OP
OP

labjr1

First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 PB Platinum
Occupation
IT
We just got home from a 4,412 trip from St Augustine to Quebec City and other points. At least 3,000 miles of it was on Blue Cruise highways, including in Canada. The truck performed well, it was extremely comfortable, and I averaged 22.1 mpg for the whole trip, averaging 75 mph on the freeways. And then there's Blue Cruise.

I used Blue Cruise everywhere it indicated it was available. On long straightaways it was dependable. It dropped off the line on at least 75% of the exits I passed if I was in the right lane. It dropped off for at least half of the curves, nearly all of which were engineered for the posted speed with no yellow recommended reduced speeds. If I hit a really rough patch of freeway (rough is saying something since most of the Interstates were crap), it dropped off the line. And sometimes it just dropped off the line on a relatively smooth, straight section with no traffic and no construction just because it wanted to. That would be accompanied by a warning tone, a warning message to assume control, and the word "cancelled" on the indicator for the adaptive control distance.

Blue Cruise remains a novelty, and it is barely 2.0 as described by the EPA: " Level 2 automated cars can control both speed and steering at the same time, but only under certain conditions, such as below a set speed limit." Full automation which requires no human intervention is 5.0.

One thing is for certain. Based on the prices I've seen bandied about for a subscription to Blue Cruise, there's no way I'm paying for it. Not until its at least a legitimate 3.0.
Very interesting. I did not have any drop outs due to exit ramps. The drop outs I experienced were on curves but not curves that were marked with slower speeds. However you sample size of miles driven was much greater than mine so I suspect I may see more "disappointing" cruise time. I take a 1000 mile round trip this week so I should have more comparative data.

Seahawk51

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Mercedes GLS450, 2013 Chevy Equinox, 2021 Ford F-150 on order
Occupation
Retired
Very interesting. I did not have any drop outs due to exit ramps. The drop outs I experienced were on curves but not curves that were marked with slower speeds. However you sample size of miles driven was much greater than mine so I suspect I may see more "disappointing" cruise time. I take a 1000 mile round trip this week so I should have more comparative data.
If the right hand lane stripe turns to a dashed line at the exit, the Blue Cruise tended to stay on. If there was simply a gap in the line, I consistently had Blue Cruise drop off the line.

Tuffram1996

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Tremor
Mine is garbage. It will scare you to death ping pong from left to right constantly almost hit semi truck. I'm over it. Unless we get 1.2 I will not use it.

Sponsored

Cobra129

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Powerboost
Occupation
USN Retired
Ju
Just did a 4800 mile trip from Vero Beach FL to Quebec City, Eastern Quebec, Maine and points south…great trip, no issues whatsoever with BC and used it about 40-50% of the time on interstates. I never expected to use BC as a primary means of driving, only as a convenience. I would also never trust and automated system with mine or my family’s life. And as for a subscription, ABSOLUTELY NEVER! It should an option, paid for and then free.

Henfield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Screw 5.0,4x4,302Asport,

FordPrefect

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Platinum PB, R1200RT, Fuell Flluid
I just got back from a trip between Las Cruces and San Diego, pretty much the whole length of I-8 and a bit of 10, about 1500 miles all-in. During part of that trip, we drove through the edge of tropical storm Hillary, just outside of Yuma, AZ. There were cross-wind gusts up to maybe 70mph, per the weather people. At times, visibility was quite poor due to blowing sand.

When visibility got bad quickly, I'd tap the brakes, which would deactivate Blue Cruise. However, when engaged I was impressed by how much help Blue Cruise was with managing the wind. Of course, a 3-ton Powerboost is inherently pretty stable, and I was watching it like a hawk (for wife-confidence reasons, even had both hands on the wheel during the rough parts), but I had little work to do, despite the wind. BC managed to stay engaged despite the dust and light rain, only dropping out when I took over.

Mine does drop out on curves that it should be able to easily navigate - a disappointment. Of course, those particular interstates are way short on curves, so for this trip it was rare. I think I had to correct it at one off-ramp, but that may have been me anticipating behavior from my old Ridgeline, which liked to follow that solid white line no matter where it went.

I do hope they update it. One of my wife's biggest fears on the interstate is passing that occasional tractor trailer driver who is not bothering much with lane-keeping. BC's habit of staying centered in the lane, despite the nasty-looking set of lug nut covers approaching from the right, is the one thing I found myself arguing with it over consistently.

Deleted member 15247

And just think, once your free trial expires Ford wants 800 a year for the privilege of this crappy system.

sempifi99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL Powerboost FX4
Occupation
IT
It is way too expensive for what it does; but, I would rather the premium be paid by people who want to use it rather than adding an additional $XXXX to all trucks across the board.

Sponsored

Deleted member 15247

It is way too expensive for what it does; but, I would rather the premium be paid by people who want to use it rather than adding an additional $XXXX to all trucks across the board.
Agree with you 100 percent.

hitchhiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150, 1965 F-100
Occupation
Software Engineer
I have never experienced the “ping pong” people say is so common, either in Bluecruise on my current truck, or in adaptive cruise w/ lane centering on my previous Lariat. I had a good enough experience with the Lariat that Bluecruise was a big draw toward a Platinum when it got totaled.

That said: I hate Bluecruise. It’s smooth as butter for me when it works. But it disengages on curves, disengages on some bridges, disengages in light rain, and the absolute worst, disengages above 80mph. It does all of the above with no audible warning, which is dangerous. The 80mph limit makes it fairly useless around here.

I HATE the eye monitor. It nags me after mere seconds. It nags me if I go to change songs/podcasts. It nags me if I glance over at my girlfriend for more than about 3 seconds in conversation. It nags me when I check my rear view mirror too much. Hate, hate, hate, hate the eye nanny. And the worst part: it nags me when i am NOT EVEN IN BLUECRUISE. Having the feature has been a significant downgrade from regular adaptive cruise.

I absolutely love the Platinum and would be perfectly happy to just ignore bluecruise and go back to regular Bluecruise, except for the eye monitor. I’m a lifelong nerd and a software engineer by trade. So, I decided to take the Openpilot plunge. I’ve ordered one of the new Comma 3x units, even though Openpilot is basically bleeding edge on our trucks. I’m looking forward to banishing Bluecruise.

mongolodeon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Limited
How long is the subscription that comes with a new vehicle, and what happens when it ends, does that mean adaptive cruise control goes bye bye too?

oneinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost, 2022 Maverick Lariat Lux
"...I am pleased with BC 1.0..."
Nice words that many might say including myself. But nice enough to play $700+ per year?

I'm not so sure I'll like v1.2. It's improvements sound nice, but my not be in practice. The improvements sound like they may be over bearing. Take the corning; it's not that the truck can not handle a curve at speed, it's the electric steering and electronic eyes can't. Right now I can maintain speed by manually assuming control. How much will v1.2 allow down? Can you turn this feature off? I suspect it'll be if you get it you got it, shut up and drive.

OP
OP

labjr1

First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 PB Platinum
Occupation
IT
Nice words that many might say including myself. But nice enough to play $700+ per year?

I'm not so sure I'll like v1.2. It's improvements sound nice, but my not be in practice. The improvements sound like they may be over bearing. Take the corning; it's not that the truck can not handle a curve at speed, it's the electric steering and electronic eyes can't. Right now I can maintain speed by manually assuming control. How much will v1.2 allow down? Can you turn this feature off? I suspect it'll be if you get it you got it, shut up and drive.
Keep in mind you always have the option of taking control at any point. currently if it drops out on a curve you have no option but to take control. With 1.2 you can still take control if you choose, but you are not forced to do so if you don't feel the need.

As for the $700 / year, each person will need to assess its value based on what they do and how they drive. If it is not of value to you, don't pay for it. Many never upgrade their Navigation for the same reason. It is your choice. For others they may find it valuable and worth their time. Some of these trucks cost $80k+ so $700 may not seem like much for a year of added convenience, reduced stress, speeding tickets never received due to the vehicle reading the speed limit signs,... any reason that works for you. Fortunately as parity happens between differing self driving systems, the free market will keep costs in check. There are already 3rd party options available as an option if your vehicle has the sensors and cameras.
Sponsored