First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 2021 Explorer ST
Occupation
Yep
Mine is just a 3.5 EB, no PB. Am I correct, isn’t the PB just an EB with an electric motor booster on the transmission?? Anyway, this is my second 3.5EB, the 2015 one was absolutely flawless! The MO truck is a 3.5 EB. Have you taken yours back to your dealer? My FordPass says that my truck is in a Deep Sleep so I am guessing they have pulled the engine??!!
Correct on the Powerboost is a 3.5L ecoboost + an electric motor. I was just trying to rule out the powerboost part as part of the issue. I took mine in and they are going to perform an oil consumption test at 10K if it is still burning oil.
Sponsored

BRDVPRA

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 2021 Explorer ST
Occupation
Yep
OK I think I have build date of my engine 2/25/22. It was part of that sticker on past trucks anyway. I think the date is in the middle of the sticker on the front of the driver's idea valve cover. Now my window sticker says my truck was built on 2/18/21, so the engine date is curious.

Ford F-150 Blue smoke at start up 20210723_164750

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
I’m glad they stepped up and are replacing the whole engine… I realize it’s probably just a component but with a brand new truck that is the best action vs an in-shop rebuild.

Also:
- Ford probably wants your engine back so they can have an engineer root cause it and make sure its not a larger defect.
- If it’s just a bad part or assembly error I imagine they will probably factory recondition it and sell it as a reconditioned engine to recouple some of it back.

So while it does sound kinda silly to replace the whole engine but to me this gets the consumer the best option(brand new engine for a brand new truck) and gives Ford a chance to do a deep dive into the engine without making you wait longer.

Also glad you have a loner in the meantime.

OP
OP

Don

First Name
Don Murray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
I do not know if my engine build date, but the truck was built 2/22. I am confident that Ford can find the build date and likely the technician who signed off on it.

Ford may very well want the whole engine back to look deeper into it. Anyway, I am, thus far, pleased with my dealership.

OP
OP

Don

First Name
Don Murray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
Do you suppose our engines were built in Brazil? Not that there is anything particularly wrong with that location, just hope that Ford still has good quality control.

Ford F-150 Blue smoke at start up 816D88C4-E5D3-4622-9063-DE553E1DA73A

Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Place of manufacture/assembly has less to do with it than the QC/QA program in place. You can get high quality parts from China and junk from the USA. It's all about what quality specs are in place.

ChrisinMi

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Retired Military
Ugh! Just finished reading this thread and its disheatening. I had a 2018 Raptor built for me (Dearborne plant) and received it after my last deployment in Feb of 2018. had absolutely no issues with that truck cradle to grave. Drove it cross country from Alaska to Michigan when we moved. Sadly, it died a violent death last month in as near head-on collision with an impaired driver. It had justy shy of 57K miles on it. Just bought a 2019 Raptor with 37k on it. This truck was built Jan 18th according to CarFax (I'll look around on the vehicle for other dates) and I think it was built in Kansas City. Anyway, mine just developed a thick blue/black smoking issue while sitting and idling. Figures it would start on Friday after the dealership where I live was closed. I bought it in Columbus ohio and drove it the 450 miles back north to where I live in Michigan with no issued. have put about 1,100 miles on it since I got it and noticed no performance issue. Been researching the forums and articles on line while takinng notes. I haven't wanted to drive it any more since I first noted what was going on without getting more info on what was a likely cause. Today, I'll take it out and drive it and take more notes. Dipshick is showing right about at full mark. MPG has been between 17 and 18. I'm going to check the Turbocharger response/ pressure indicate under load today (my 2018 didn't have turbo boost pressure indicator but the 2019 does) I'm also going to check PCV vaccuum since this is about all I'm capable of befofe I take it to the dealership tomorrow. More to follow. Oh, I saw questions about build locations of engines and wanted to add this ford-supplied spec sheet that said (at least on the 2019 Raptors) engines were built in Cleveland, trucks were assembled at either Deaerrborn or KC. 2019 Raptor Tech Specs (ford.com)

OP
OP

Don

First Name
Don Murray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
I am getting a new engine, but other necessary parts are on back order. It has been in the shop for just over 60 days.

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
nothing is repairable, everything is part … don't train service techs to repair in the field, use computer-guided maintenance and turn techs into parts-swappers … that's best for the bookkeepers.
… part swappers that can’t do it right if there isn’t a MIL code and TSB, and the irate customer screaming at the service manager because they just gauged the 800 dollar 20 inch factory wheels on my brand new SHO, and were refusing to take care of it.

Service manager comes out and says “they are just wheels, they are always scratched” to which I reply “I took photos of each wheel before I had your tech patch the tire” and they weren’t damaged before I left. Oh yeah, and they cost 800 each (like every other wheel Ford sells right now).

Upon closer inspection, when the tire tech used the pry bar to pull the tire bead over the outside of the rim face he just let the bare aluminum/steel slam against the machined aluminum causing a large chunk to be damaged. Then he left it there (against the beautiful face) as they worked the bead around the rim, as it scraped down the other 1/4 of the rim face.

Unfortunately, I have to take photos of all vehicles before bringing them in to Ford service.

It’s a shame, but the service managers say “I do the best I can with what I’ve got. If I fire them, I have to train new ones”. This has been their response more than once, and a separate tech forgot to put the lower control arm bolt nut (an OEM neoprene lock nut, 1 out of a total of only 1 lower ctrl arm Bolt) on the back of my 03 Cobra.

No big deal, it’s not that important to put 2 inch bolts and nuts back together when putting an IRS back together.

flatlander22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Ugh! Just finished reading this thread and its disheatening. I had a 2018 Raptor built for me (Dearborne plant) and received it after my last deployment in Feb of 2018. had absolutely no issues with that truck cradle to grave. Drove it cross country from Alaska to Michigan when we moved. Sadly, it died a violent death last month in as near head-on collision with an impaired driver. It had justy shy of 57K miles on it. Just bought a 2019 Raptor with 37k on it. This truck was built Jan 18th according to CarFax (I'll look around on the vehicle for other dates) and I think it was built in Kansas City. Anyway, mine just developed a thick blue/black smoking issue while sitting and idling. Figures it would start on Friday after the dealership where I live was closed. I bought it in Columbus ohio and drove it the 450 miles back north to where I live in Michigan with no issued. have put about 1,100 miles on it since I got it and noticed no performance issue. Been researching the forums and articles on line while takinng notes. I haven't wanted to drive it any more since I first noted what was going on without getting more info on what was a likely cause. Today, I'll take it out and drive it and take more notes. Dipshick is showing right about at full mark. MPG has been between 17 and 18. I'm going to check the Turbocharger response/ pressure indicate under load today (my 2018 didn't have turbo boost pressure indicator but the 2019 does) I'm also going to check PCV vaccuum since this is about all I'm capable of befofe I take it to the dealership tomorrow. More to follow. Oh, I saw questions about build locations of engines and wanted to add this ford-supplied spec sheet that said (at least on the 2019 Raptors) engines were built in Cleveland, trucks were assembled at either Deaerrborn or KC. 2019 Raptor Tech Specs (ford.com)
With it smoking more at idle, it sounds like a turbo, but that's just based on my research and what one Ford tech told me when I initially took mine in. Mine was not smoking at idle, so he said it wasn't turbo related. I guess he was right, because after 30 days it's finally been diagnosed as bad valve seals. My parts are on backorder, so no time frame for when I'll have my brand new truck home. Frustrating...

Sponsored

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
With it smoking more at idle, it sounds like a turbo, but that's just based on my research and what one Ford tech told me when I initially took mine in. Mine was not smoking at idle, so he said it wasn't turbo related. I guess he was right, because after 30 days it's finally been diagnosed as bad valve seals. My parts are on backorder, so no time frame for when I'll have my brand new truck home. Frustrating...
Does the Ford mechanic not understand that engines can in fact smoke, even with no turbos installed?

Ford mechanics also say the shutter in 9th and 10th gear is “typical characteristics”.

Ford mechanics also say the EB timing chain rattle is “typical characteristics”. Funny how when I pay them to change the front timing components the rattle went away.

Ford mechanics installed the front struts on my 03 Cobra, and didn’t put all 3 top rubber grommets together in the right order, so we chased a front end Squeek for 40,000 miles. This was fixed by me, when I replaced them, because they looked deteriorated slightly (3 days before selling it).

Funny how they caused the problem (changing the front struts under warranty) and then they couldn’t fix the weird Squeek for the rest of the time I owned the car. Since the car had a rear end wreck, they blamed the Squeek on the repairs and wreck.

ChrisinMi

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Retired Military
Well, I drove it today several times. left it running in park at idle before and after driving it and it never smoked at ll today. I still think the ehaust smells very stron een though there's no smoke. If it doesn't come back, I'll be happy but if it becomes some intermittent thing that the techs tell me the CND'd (can not duplicate), I feel like the pilots that used to fly the aircraft I worked on.

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
Well, I drove it today several times. left it running in park at idle before and after driving it and it never smoked at ll today. I still think the ehaust smells very stron een though there's no smoke. If it doesn't come back, I'll be happy but if it becomes some intermittent thing that the techs tell me the CND'd (can not duplicate), I feel like the pilots that used to fly the aircraft I worked on.
I worked on airplanes too.

I know the struggle.

I had to get in an argument with my own manager over the QE passing 1 incorrect side dome nut out of 30. I’m telling the guy I can see the nut threads are smaller than all the other 30 (which are all within 2 feet of the one I’m looking at), and my manager proceeds to tell me I’m wrong and tries to screw the bolt in himself (as if I didn’t do it correctly) and then breaks the dome nut rivets off. So you think… this is aviation, and this is an isolated incident.

But then the mechanic replaces the dome nut again, the QE signs off on it again, and I proceed to install the fuel panel again. I just look at it before I proceed to install 30+ Boeing tip screws, and realize guess what???!!!!!!

They installed the small nut again, the QE signed off on the incorrect size again, and I had to get my manager involved again.

It was the day I realized why airplanes really fall out of the sky. Airplanes are super redundant, and if they fail out the sky, it was because some jack leg didn’t do his job right.

Exactly the same with vehicles.

OP
OP

Don

First Name
Don Murray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
I have absolutely no issues with my dealership regarding my problem. I don’t fault Ford either. The dealership wanted to replace the engine and Ford agreed. The supply chains are all messed up right now, I am not looking to blame anyone. I posted my problem of a smoking engine so that others who might be experiencing this same or similar problem could communicate what their solution was and I will post my solution. Maybe someone can benefit from my problem. I trust my service advisor/manager.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Anyone with a 3.5 EB experience blue smoke coming out of the tailpipe at first start up in the morning? Engine runs fine, has less than 2000 miles and the oil has been changed once. I have not discussed this with the service personnel yet, just wondering if others have experienced this issue.
Hey there. Is this an issue you are still experiencing? If so, please send over a private message with your VIN so we can look into this on our end!
Sponsored