First Name
Don Murray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
Anyone with a 3.5 EB experience blue smoke coming out of the tailpipe at first start up in the morning? Engine runs fine, has less than 2000 miles and the oil has been changed once. I have not discussed this with the service personnel yet, just wondering if others have experienced this issue.
Sponsored

Coolrain

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Raptor
normally means your burning oil..... take it in

Reactions: Don

KartRacer25

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SuperCab Sport 4x4 5.0 3.73 Space White
Occupation
Senior Software Engineer
Check if they overfilled it too.

Platimatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 701
If the morning is the only time and it's more white than blue could just be condensation building in the exhaust system. Mucho heat coming out of these turbo motors and this time of year with warm days and cool nights seems to be prime time. As the others said though something you want to have the dealership check soon. Good luck and keep us posted.

OP
OP

Don

First Name
Don Murray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
If the morning is the only time and it's more white than blue could just be condensation building in the exhaust system. Mucho heat coming out of these turbo motors and this time of year with warm days and cool nights seems to be prime time. As the others said though something you want to have the dealership check soon. Good luck and keep us posted.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Don

First Name
Don Murray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
Good idea. This smoke happens exactly at start up. The only chance for heat up is immediately. Smoke is not dark blue but appears blue as the cloud drifts to my neighbors. Smoking only lasts 5 seconds, but it is a nice cloud!

flatlander22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I found your post while searching for answers to the exact same issue. I just bought a 21 3.5 Ecoboost a little over a month ago. It's had the slight bluish smoke on startup (sporadically) since I brought it home. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to when it does it. It is bluish-white, lasts about three-five seconds usually. Truck runs fine. It may have a slightly rough idle but that might be in my head since I'm searching for an answer to this issue. I've checked oil and coolant and no loss. I talked to the service dept at my local dealership, and he said he can't even look into it until the truck has at least 10000 miles and everything is seated in good. (Not sure I believe him on that) He said if it's a turbo leak, smoke would be worse when idling, and I have no issues there. Maybe in my head, but smoke is worse when truck is parked uphill. Service tech assured me not to worry, but it can be a bit embarrassing to have a brand new truck puffing smoke, even if it's only a few seconds. I absolutely love the truck, but this is a bit annoying.

OP
OP

Don

First Name
Don Murray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
I found your post while searching for answers to the exact same issue. I just bought a 21 3.5 Ecoboost a little over a month ago. It's had the slight bluish smoke on startup (sporadically) since I brought it home. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to when it does it. It is bluish-white, lasts about three-five seconds usually. Truck runs fine. It may have a slightly rough idle but that might be in

my head since I'm searching for an answer to this issue. I've checked oil and coolant and no loss. I talked to the service dept at my local dealership, and he said he can't even look into it until the truck has at least 10000 miles and everything is seated in good. (Not sure I believe him on that) He said if it's a turbo leak, smoke would be worse when idling, and I have no issues there. Maybe in my head, but smoke is worse when truck is parked uphill. Service tech assured me not to worry, but it can be a bit embarrassing to have a brand new truck puffing smoke, even if it's only a few seconds. I absolutely love the truck, but this is a bit annoying.
I found your post while searching for answers to the exact same issue. I just bought a 21 3.5 Ecoboost a little over a month ago. It's had the slight bluish smoke on startup (sporadically) since I brought it home. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to when it does it. It is bluish-white, lasts about three-five seconds usually. Truck runs fine. It may have a slightly rough idle but that might be in my head since I'm searching for an answer to this issue. I've checked oil and coolant and no loss. I talked to the service dept at my local dealership, and he said he can't even look into it until the truck has at least 10000 miles and everything is seated in good. (Not sure I believe him on that) He said if it's a turbo leak, smoke would be worse when idling, and I have no issues there. Maybe in my head, but smoke is worse when truck is parked uphill. Service tech assured me not to worry, but it can be a bit embarrassing to have a brand new truck puffing smoke, even if it's only a few seconds. I absolutely love the truck, but this is a bit annoying.
I responded to your thread somewhere, but it is not showing up??

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Echoing the other comrades on here; bluish smoke typically means a burning oil issue. White smoke could mean possibly a coolant leak or head gasket issue.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Don

First Name
Don Murray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
I’d do like they said and wait for the 1000 miles to let everything get seated. It may very well slowly go away and never be a problem again.

In the mean time I’d send them a certified letter expressing the concerns so you have it documented in case it turns into something major later on and they try to give you the run around.

That was 10,000 miles, not 1,000.

flatlander22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I’d do like they said and wait for the 1000 miles to let everything get seated. It may very well slowly go away and never be a problem again.

In the mean time I’d send them a certified letter expressing the concerns so you have it documented in case it turns into something major later on and they try to give you the run around.
Echoing the other comrades on here; bluish smoke typically means a burning oil issue. White smoke could mean possibly a coolant leak or head gasket issue.
I feel like it's got to be an oil leak issue somewhere due to the bluish tint of the smoke, but it's not enough to account for any noticeable oil loss so far, but we will see. Coolant level is good too. Hopefully, it's nothing major. OP and I are in direct communication, so maybe between the two of us, we'll find out what the issue is.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I hope it does resolve itself, but I've been in direct contact with the OP, whose truck is in the shop now. Hopefully

I feel like it's got to be an oil leak issue somewhere due to the bluish tint of the smoke, but it's not enough to account for any noticeable oil loss so far, but we will see. Coolant level is good too. Hopefully, it's nothing major. OP and I are in direct communication, so maybe between the two of us, we'll find out what the issue is.

Good luck! Hope it’s an easy fix!

flatlander22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Well, scratch that on the noticeable oil loss. I just got home from a lake vacation, putting about 300 more miles on the truck and towing a large boat back and forth to the boat ramp, and I was two quarts low when I got home. Oil loss must be much worse under a load, or, whatever the issue is, it's getting worse. Going to get it in for service asap.

BRDVPRA

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 2021 Explorer ST
Occupation
Yep
My 2021 Powerboost belched out a big blue cloud this morning on startup. I thought it was odd, so I checked the oil. I have 7k miles on it and it was 2 qts low......I am guessing Ford has a big challenge here. This is my 4th 3.5l ecoboost and none have ever burned oil like this..
Sponsored