Blue Cruise & Driver Alert?

morrisosu

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 3.5 PB
Anyone figured out a way (ForScan, hidden settings, etc..) to tweak or disable the Driver Alert system when Blue Cruise is active? I get the importance of keeping an eye on the road, but that system needs polishing. I'm constantly getting false alerts that are distracting me more than if I actually looked away for a second. I'm not sure if it's the sunglasses or something the system doesn't like about me, but if there's no fix, no way I'm paying for BC when the trial runs out.
Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I've tried with and without my stunner shades and it seems to make no difference. I can't tell if it is missed detection altogether, or just a simple adjustment of the grace period being longer that could help a lot. Definitely hoping that the software improves soon or that we can disable/adjust it!

I definitely get the safety issue, but now it does the alert whether using hands-free or not! So it is actually worse than pre blue cruise.

OP
OP
morrisosu

morrisosu

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 3.5 PB
Interesting. I've gotten so frustrated that I've covered the sensors up, but that really angers it. They do have a setting to disable "driver alert" in the sync settings, but yeah it doesn't seem to apply at all when you have BC active.

YzermanTopShelf

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lead Foot Lariat Powerboost
Interesting. I've gotten so frustrated that I've covered the sensors up, but that really angers it. They do have a setting to disable "driver alert" in the sync settings, but yeah it doesn't seem to apply at all when you have BC active.
I expected the same thing but found in the manual that Driver Alert is a totally separate feature. It uses a forward facing camera to monitor how well you stay between the lanes. The idea is to detect when the driver is getting too fatigued to drive.

OP
OP
morrisosu

morrisosu

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 3.5 PB
I expected the same thing but found in the manual that Driver Alert is a totally separate feature. It uses a forward facing camera to monitor how well you stay between the lanes. The idea is to detect when the driver is getting too fatigued to drive.
Ahh ok, so what we need here is a way to adjust whatever the Blue Cruise "watch the road" system is. Driver alert is something different. Appreciate the insight.

Sponsored

Antimatter22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Limited in Star White.
Mine is hit or miss. Seems like it gives me more warnings when the cabin is bright, like having windows down and moonroof open. I usually start off with it enabled, but if I get two warnings close together I normally turn off lane keep assist just because it annoys me. A majority of the time I drive on two lane country roads, so it's not hands free but the warnings still pop up frequently some days.

OP
OP
morrisosu

morrisosu

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 3.5 PB
It's annoying for sure. Be nice if there was a way to just disable the warnings since the system is far from perfect (quite far). I'd even sign a waiver if I could disable it, accepting responsibility for "watching the road" while BC is enabled.

MikeYQM

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost | 2013 BMW M3 Comp
I even get warnings when drinking a coffee. Take a sip and it’s going off by the time the cup is back in the holder.

Bburgeng

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Explorer, Escape, 2021 King Ranch F150
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Mine doesn't like my Ray-Ban polarized sunglasses
Same here. Tried with none polarized lens and no problem. Put back on my polarized and got the warnings.

Sponsored

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
Hate the eye tracking sensors. They often don’t pick up that I’m watching the road, the system wants me to be looking into the sky. I wish Ford would allow to turn off blue cruise/eye tracking, and solely rely on the steering wheel shake requirements. Very annoying that covering the sensors forces the entire system to turn off rather than just turning off blue cruise. With its current functionality I wish I didn’t purchase blue cruise.

OP
OP
morrisosu

morrisosu

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 3.5 PB
Hate the eye tracking sensors. They often don’t pick up that I’m watching the road, the system wants me to be looking into the sky. I wish Ford would allow to turn off blue cruise/eye tracking, and solely rely on the steering wheel shake requirements. Very annoying that covering the sensors forces the entire system to turn off rather than just turning off blue cruise. With its current functionality I wish I didn’t purchase blue cruise.
This 100%.

Bburgeng

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Explorer, Escape, 2021 King Ranch F150
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Tried again today with different Oakley sunglasses lenses. The sensor is fine as long as I had black lenses. Polarized or non-polarized did not matter. What I did have problems with was the colored lenses (red polarized and road prism non-polarized). My thoughts would be the mirror effect on the sensor not seeing my eyes correctly.

BRDVPRA

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 2021 Explorer ST
Occupation
Yep
It blows me away that it can tell if I am staring at the end of my hood or where I am supposed to look regardless of head tilt. At first it was aggravating, but if you train yourself that you have 5 seconds to look at something other than the road you will get the hang of it. I have tried all kinds of things and it is right at 5 seconds mine goes off.

MostlySafeBear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(Eventually) an F-150 PowerBoost
This worries me about choosing the Blue Cruise option for my next truck, since I have eye issues.

While I do wear glasses and can drive as safely as anyone else, I am near sighted in one eye and far sighted in the other, and my brain automatically switches between which eye it uses, and I am unconscious of the switch. Whichever eye my brain chose not to use for the moment just stares off in a random direction. It confuses people and makes them ask me if I m looking at them.

Blue Cruise needs to be adjustable or trainable to make it more accessible.
Sponsored

Last edited: