Blackvue DR900s-2CH Dashcam + Power Magic Pro Hardwire Install

flynavy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 XLT
Occupation
Pilot
Nice write up! Out of curiosity, is there a reason why you didn’t mount the box near the fuse box itself?

I run a hardwired Viofo a119 v3 and I simply ran the cable through the headliner, down the pillar (behind the airbags) and down to the fuse box. Everything seems to fit nicely down there.
I’ve been a little conflicted on the air bag thing. I gently pushed my cable in the headliner and it’s loose in there and then down the weather stripping area. Getting it behind the airbags seemed more difficult, do you think this is a safety concern?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Chewza

Chewza

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 AMB Plat PB
Just finished my install, used same fuses OP did and everything is working great. Really appreciate the write up OP, saved me a good chunk of time not having to hunt down what fuses to use!
Glad the writeup helped you man! Had fun documenting the process!

OP
OP
Chewza

Chewza

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 AMB Plat PB
I’ve been a little conflicted on the air bag thing. I gently pushed my cable in the headliner and it’s loose in there and then down the weather stripping area. Getting it behind the airbags seemed more difficult, do you think this is a safety concern?
I've got all of my cables tucked under the weatherstripping. I wouldn't bother trying to tuck the cables behind the A-Pillar shroud. If you really did need to try and tuck behind the airbag cover, the airbag is going to rip right past whatever cables are there, and it's not something that's even going to get caught on the cables themselves.

Have you ever seen an airbag explosion? Near instant fill in milliseconds. You don't have to worry about a silly little power / rear camera cable interfering with an air-bag's operation.

flynavy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 XLT
Occupation
Pilot
I've got all of my cables tucked under the weatherstripping. I wouldn't bother trying to tuck the cables behind the A-Pillar shroud. If you really did need to try and tuck behind the airbag cover, the airbag is going to rip right past whatever cables are there, and it's not something that's even going to get caught on the cables themselves.

Have you ever seen an airbag explosion? Near instant fill in milliseconds. You don't have to worry about a silly little power / rear camera cable interfering with an air-bag's operation.
Good to know, thanks! One thing I am frustrated with is these damn dash cam apps. Came from a Thinkware and now a black vue. Am I crazy or are the apps just outright terrible? Connections issues, just general user friendliness etc. you would think a piece this expensive and from a tech savvy country like SK they would be shit hot!

Sponsored

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
Has anyone installed this on a tinted windshield? issues? Thanks.

flynavy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 XLT
Occupation
Pilot
Has anyone installed this on a tinted windshield? issues? Thanks.
Yes I did, and I did on my last truck too and didn’t damage tint removing the mount which surprised me. The tint probably helps with glare and keeping it from getting as hot non Tinted too.

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Iconic Silver Limited PowerBoost
Occupation
Software Engineer
But hopefully this helps out anyone who's looking for a super stealth and functional dashcam install.
If this has helped you out, please feel free to like and share this post.
I'll add my thanks for your write up... just finished installing a three-camera BlackVue setup with the battery backup instead of the PMP, but it was still largely based on your advice and write up. MUCH appreciated!

Coolrain

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Raptor
Just finished my install, used same fuses OP did and everything is working great. Really appreciate the write up OP, saved me a good chunk of time not having to hunt down what fuses to use!
Just ordered the same setup as you - you still had to order the add on fuses or it came with it?
Thanks

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chewza

Chewza

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 AMB Plat PB
Just ordered the same setup as you - you still had to order the add on fuses or it came with it?
Thanks
The Bussman add-a-fuse that I linked in the original post do NOT come with fuses.
If you've ordered a chinese knock off add-a-fuse that comes with fuses, I wouldn't use those in my $75k truck as they're cheap and brittle. Best to spend the extra money on quality fuses.

Coolrain

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Raptor
The Bussman add-a-fuse that I linked in the original post do NOT come with fuses.
If you've ordered a chinese knock off add-a-fuse that comes with fuses, I wouldn't use those in my $75k truck as they're cheap and brittle. Best to spend the extra money on quality fuses.
Haven't ordered anything - flynavy said he had just installed the 750x so I was verifying the add-a fuse was still needed (and I agree with your statement - my Raptor won't see the Chinese version!)

flynavy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 XLT
Occupation
Pilot
Thanks
I had some extra in the garage and also ordered a bulk variety pack off Amazon for future use.

OP
OP
Chewza

Chewza

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 AMB Plat PB
this is all great stuff - thanks for posting chewza.
Always glad to help the community!

Over two years later, still get a kick that people made it all the way through my story time tutorial haha
Sponsored