First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Occupation
Inspector Gadget
I'm looking at purchasing the Bilstein 6112 kit with rear reservoir shocks. I know they aren't listed as fitting the 2021 yet, but my line of thinking is there's other companies (Rancho, Rough Country) that offer these coilover kits in the year range that includes the 2021.
I'm just a little hesitant on clicking the checkout button. Do you think there will be a fitment issue?

Ford F-150 Bilstein 6112 kit. Bilstein
Sponsored

serinjune

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 3.5L EB FX4
I don't think there should be a fitment issue, but the ride quality is what's likely to change. Someone installed the Falcon shocks for a 2020 and said the ride was fine, but the 2020 compatible shocks are likely to be not as optimized for the 2021 body changes.

In other words, you're probably fine. Just be the guinea pig for the rest of us.?;)

FWIW, I was gonna do the same with the Fox 2.5's, but I haven't decided if I'm keeping the truck just yet.

OP
OP
150ish

150ish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Occupation
Inspector Gadget
I don't think there should be a fitment issue, but the ride quality is what's likely to change. Someone installed the Falcon shocks for a 2020 and said the ride was fine, but the 2020 compatible shocks are likely to be not as optimized for the 2021 body changes.

In other words, you're probably fine. Just be the guinea pig for the rest of us.?;)

FWIW, I was gonna do the same with the Fox 2.5's, but I haven't decided if I'm keeping the truck just yet.
I thought the same thing about the valving and spring rates being correct for the 21. That's kind of what lead me into looking at the Rancho and RC struts. They use the same kits for multiple years, including the 21. I definitely don't mind being a guinea pig, I just don't want it to be a $1300 mistake, lol.

serinjune

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 3.5L EB FX4
I thought the same thing about the valving and spring rates being correct for the 21. That's kind of what lead me into looking at the Rancho and RC struts. They use the same kits for multiple years, including the 21. I definitely don't mind being a guinea pig, I just don't want it to be a $1300 mistake, lol.
I fully understand your trepidation and hope it works out either way!

Geo

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150, 4x4, Lariat 501A pk. 5.0 V-8, Max Tow.
What did you end up doing for front struts ? I am still waiting for Rancho to get off there rump. I have always had the 9000s but I may have to look at RC.

Sponsored

OP
OP
150ish

150ish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Occupation
Inspector Gadget
What did you end up doing for front struts ? I am still waiting for Rancho to get off there rump. I have always had the 9000s but I may have to look at RC.
I used the Bilstein 6112's up front.

Geo

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150, 4x4, Lariat 501A pk. 5.0 V-8, Max Tow.
I used the Bilstein 6112's up front.
Are you happy with the ride. Are they a dual action strut, some struts only compress on the down stroke and no restriction on the up stroke. Never had them, like anything you hear pros and cons. Thanks for the reply.

OP
OP
150ish

150ish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Occupation
Inspector Gadget
Are you happy with the ride. Are they a dual action strut, some struts only compress on the down stroke and no restriction on the up stroke. Never had them, like anything you hear pros and cons. Thanks for the reply.
The ride has definitely improved over stock. But that could also have something to do with the tires being upgraded. Unfortunately, when most people change out suspension components they also change tires. Which also change the ride/feel. I can say for certain that the struts take the bump instead of floating over it. Here's a link that might be able to answer any of your other questions.
Edit: I've had Bilstein's in the past and they've always been a good choice.
https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/product/bilstein-b8-6112/

MitLei

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502a

There is no such thing as valving and spring rates being correct for a particular vehicle, its really personal preference for your needs, as supplied from the factory they are way too soft in my opinion, it rides more like a 70's Lincoln Continental than a what a truck should be like. My 2016 and 2018 rode much better from the factory.

mark0382

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 4wd STX
MitLei, are you saying a 2021 f150 with bilstein 6112s rides like a 70s continental? Or the stock truck rides like a 70s cont?
Asking bc I have some 6112s on order …

Sponsored

MitLei

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502a
MitLei, are you saying a 2021 f150 with bilstein 6112s rides like a 70s continental? Or the stock truck rides like a 70s cont?
Asking bc I have some 6112s on order …
Stock!

OP
OP
150ish

150ish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Occupation
Inspector Gadget
There is no such thing as valving and spring rates being correct for a particular vehicle, its really personal preference for your needs, as supplied from the factory they are way too soft in my opinion, it rides more like a 70's Lincoln Continental than a what a truck should be like. My 2016 and 2018 rode much better from the factory.
Bilsteins absolutely use spring rates based on the vehicles weight/use. It might be a generic number across the board, but they use it. How do you think they increase the ride height? It's done by a little actual lift and pre load (stiffer spring rate) to help prevent sag. That's why that kit comes with springs and doesn't reuse your 70's Lincoln springs.
Sponsored