First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lead Foot Gray XLT 5.0 Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Veteran
Agreed, but I get it that some folks are tired of waiting. Personally, I'll be waiting till we have a few more options with "made for" parts. Don't like it, but it is...what it is.
Yeah the wait definitely sucks! It was already bad enough waiting for our trucks now we have to wait God knows how long for the aftermarket to catch-up ?
Sponsored

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I am glad it is working out for you but for now I am only installing the rears until Blistein releases the new 2021 version of the fronts. For clarity to others on the forum, below is the response I received from Bilstein's technical department recently.

Laffin, Joseph <[email protected]>
Mon 8/16/2021 7:16 AM

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Bilstein. As of right now we have nothing for the front of the 2021, Ford F-150. Ford made a change on the front of the 2021, F-150. Our product management is working on developing product for the front. No ETA as of right now.

As far as the rear 2020 carried over to 2021. Looking at our online catalog https://cart.bilsteinus.com/ you will see what part #’s will fit. Here is a few names of our direct distributors like, Summit Racing, Tire Rack or 4Wheel parts. Hopefully this info will help you. Thank you.
Sounds like the '21 has a different range of travel in the front compared to the '20. This could mean the shock is bottoming out before the bump stop or hanging at full extension before the suspension is at full droop. It could also mean the damper is not centered in its travel and may be entering rebound or compression ranges of motion incorrectly.
On road, it probably won't fail, but off-road, the shock isn't designed to take the shock of bottoming or hanging; it would eventually break or damage one of its mounts.
I imagine Bilstein is just being cautious, not wanting to expose themselves to liability,

flynavy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 XLT
Occupation
Pilot
Sounds like the '21 has a different range of travel in the front compared to the '20. This could mean the shock is bottoming out before the bump stop or hanging at full extension before the suspension is at full droop. It could also mean the damper is not centered in its travel and may be entering rebound or compression ranges of motion incorrectly.
On road, it probably won't fail, but off-road, the shock isn't designed to take the shock of bottoming or hanging; it would eventually break or damage one of its mounts.
I imagine Bilstein is just being cautious, not wanting to expose themselves to liability,
Hence why fox has you adjust it then? So I see others like rough country just slapped 2021 compatible on theirs. But if you don’t adjust the fox you get 2.7 inches of lift apparently… clear as mud.

Poalpo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Why not 6112 instead? These i believed were cleared for 2021 model. An installer recently recommended them as an option to me on future truck.

OP
OP
Tizzzo

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Veteran
Makes sense! I only off-road occasionally so I will let you all know if I encounter any issues. I will eventually upgrade to the 6112s once they make 2021 specific models but at a slightly higher cost than a puck spacer I decided to give these 5100s a shot for the time being (y)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tizzzo

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Veteran
Why not 6112 instead? These i believed were cleared for 2021 model. An installer recently recommended them as an option to me on future truck.
I was under the impression that these were not cleared for 2021 yet either so I went with the cheaper option for now until the aftermarket companies catch up with their new gen products. Then I’ll switch it up.

Poalpo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I was under the impression that these were not cleared for 2021 yet either so I went with the cheaper option for now until the aftermarket companies catch up with their new gen products. Then I’ll switch it up.
You might be right. He picked them so i assumed they were cleared. On the other hand, he was so thorough with fit and measurements, wouldn’t be surprised if he called the manufacturer to clear them on his own.

SumGuy

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 (perpetually on order)
Occupation
Drugs
Seems like a pretty harsh angle on those UCAs.

OP
OP
Tizzzo

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Veteran
Seems like a pretty harsh angle on those UCAs.
They all look this way when installing a level, the suspension is at full droop. Once it’s back on the ground it goes up a good amount.

OP
OP
Tizzzo

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Veteran
Alright guys so a little feedback on the bilsteins 5100s after my off-road trip with @Lex_310. Overall they performed great! When going at slow speeds it absorbed dips and bumps smoothly and felt very controlled. Since they are more firm than stock it felt a bit on the rougher side if I started to take stuff at higher speeds. This might also be because they are brand new and need to be broken in some but I will update over time. Overall I recommend them and had zero issues with them on our 4 hour trail.
Ford F-150 Bilstein 5100 shocks fitment on 2021 F-150 (installed and feedback) 49D299F6-53A5-4F4E-9283-A4605DE684C3
Ford F-150 Bilstein 5100 shocks fitment on 2021 F-150 (installed and feedback) 9D0DCE06-C2B9-479F-B39C-CE9190EA8DE9
Ford F-150 Bilstein 5100 shocks fitment on 2021 F-150 (installed and feedback) A6B1CC82-D4BB-441F-A519-68BBD435CBA0

Last edited:

Sponsored

150ish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Occupation
Inspector Gadget
You could have left the spacer lift on and just set the Bilstein's to the lowest setting. You would of ended up with 2.25" of lift and excellent riding vehicle.

150ish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Occupation
Inspector Gadget
OP
OP
Tizzzo

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Veteran
You could have left the spacer lift on and just set the Bilstein's to the lowest setting. You would of ended up with 2.25" of lift and excellent riding vehicle.
Yeah I might just do that, either that or just drop it 1 setting. Surprisingly though it feels to have loosened up a bit after my trip and feels super smooth on the highway now! Rides buttery smooth ?

150ish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Occupation
Inspector Gadget
Yeah I might just do that, either that or just drop it 1 setting. Surprisingly though it feels to have loosened up a bit after my trip and feels super smooth on the highway now! Rides buttery smooth ?
I was thinking about dropping mine down to the second notch (0.5" of preload) and getting a 2" spacer. That would put me at 2.5" Which is almost level.

OP
OP
Tizzzo

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Veteran
I was thinking about dropping mine down to the second notch (0.5" of preload) and getting a 2" spacer. That would put me at 2.5" Which is almost level.
Is yours on the stiffer side as well?
Sponsored