Sponsored

mxwrk

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Powerboost
After getting my truck dialed with suspension, wheels, and tires, it was time to take my first off-road trip. A group of friends and I got together and planned extensively to get from Big Bear to Las Vegas while staying completely on the dirt, except for road crossings and a fuel stop.

Overall we made it just shy of Vegas when another truck in our group got a coolant leak, but our total off-road mileage was 232 miles over 3 days. My truck averaged 11.8mpg which was pretty good considering our first full day average speed was 8mph.

Lots of slow and technical driving combined with a few fast sprints. I came from an Excursion with about a 4" lift, and the first thing I noticed with my F150 was that it was much lower. On two track roads where the center is slightly raised from where the tires ride, I scraped the factory skid plates pretty badly (have since ordered RCI). I experimented with all the drive modes, and some off the off-road ones were good but they really like to wind the RPM's up before shifting a gear. This can be helpful in some terrain but anything open and flat I ended up just switching back to normal mode. Below are some pictures, but there's lots more along with video on my Insta: @ HeavyOverland

Ford F-150 Big Bear CA to Las Vegas NV - All Dirt trip1

Ford F-150 Big Bear CA to Las Vegas NV - All Dirt trip2

Ford F-150 Big Bear CA to Las Vegas NV - All Dirt trip3
Sponsored

SumGuy

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 (perpetually on order)
Occupation
Drugs
After getting my truck dialed with suspension, wheels, and tires, it was time to take my first off-road trip. A group of friends and I got together and planned extensively to get from Big Bear to Las Vegas while staying completely on the dirt, except for road crossings and a fuel stop.

Overall we made it just shy of Vegas when another truck in our group got a coolant leak, but our total off-road mileage was 232 miles over 3 days. My truck averaged 11.8mpg which was pretty good considering our first full day average speed was 8mph.

Lots of slow and technical driving combined with a few fast sprints. I came from an Excursion with about a 4" lift, and the first thing I noticed with my F150 was that it was much lower. On two track roads where the center is slightly raised from where the tires ride, I scraped the factory skid plates pretty badly (have since ordered RCI). I experimented with all the drive modes, and some off the off-road ones were good but they really like to wind the RPM's up before shifting a gear. This can be helpful in some terrain but anything open and flat I ended up just switching back to normal mode. Below are some pictures, but there's lots more along with video on my Insta: @ HeavyOverland

trip1.jpg

trip2.jpg

trip3.jpg
I was going to ask about the pano sunroof because mine rattles over every small little bump and drives me nuts. But I see you are a man of class and went without the pano roof.

OP
OP
mxwrk

mxwrk

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Powerboost
I was going to ask about the pano sunroof because mine rattles over every small little bump and drives me nuts. But I see you are a man of class and went without the pano roof.
Oh man that’s a bummer to hear! I liked the sunroof in my old daily fusion but knew how I drove offroad, and couldn’t imagine a scenario where one would hold up.

Sponsored

SumGuy

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 (perpetually on order)
Occupation
Drugs
Oh man that’s a bummer to hear! I liked the sunroof in my old daily fusion but knew how I drove offroad, and couldn’t imagine a scenario where one would hold up.
Yup. Never had an issue in my old 4Runner that was 15 years old and had 250k miles on, but ford cannot seem to figure some things out, which is a bummer.

I will have the dealer warranty it next oil change, but I doubt it will fix it.

OP
OP
mxwrk

mxwrk

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Powerboost
Where is a pic of the skid plate? :D
Ford F-150 Big Bear CA to Las Vegas NV - All Dirt 06107D77-45BC-4C07-B4EE-CE1F1012F825

It’s actually not as bad as I remember, but I can’t see it lasting very long the way I drive. Hard to tell from this pic but it’s bent up in a few spots and that access panel is barely hanging on. RCI plates should be stout and provide a lot more coverage.

Tall Tail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 SuperCrew XLT 302A 4x4 5.0L 3.31
06107D77-45BC-4C07-B4EE-CE1F1012F825.jpeg

It’s actually not as bad as I remember, but I can’t see it lasting very long the way I drive. Hard to tell from this pic but it’s bent up in a few spots and that access panel is barely hanging on. RCI plates should be stout and provide a lot more coverage.
LOL, that took a beating. Thanks for posting.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
This is a really cool idea. I’d love to plan a trip like this

Sponsored

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
Did everyone bring their own 5 gal bucket, kitty litter, and a pop up tent ?

OP
OP
mxwrk

mxwrk

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Powerboost
Did everyone bring their own 5 gal bucket, kitty litter, and a pop up tent ?
Some guys slept under their camper shells. What’s the rest for? Haha