BFG KO2 vs Toyo Open Country AT3

jaggah

First Name
Joban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Powerboost
20x9 +1 offset Fuel Rebels on 285/60/20 tires. 2.5” motofab level kit up front. I am able to run the Ford mud flaps with this setup and only occasionally have a slight rub on the flaps backing out of a driveway.
Hmm I think I will try to run this without level lets see how that goes
Sponsored

Asphaltman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, 2021 F150, 2018 F-150 1997 F-250H
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Any update on the comparisons? Have a '22 coming, and I'm in the same boat. Die-hard BFG fan, but they are hard to find at the moment, so looking at the AT3. Most of my driving is on the pavement. I'm all for looks and not looking at off-road handling. I'm looking for good rain and snow handling though, which the BFG has always done well. Looking at decent tread wear and noise levels. I have 13k on my current BFG's and wear is good, noise has been what is expected with a big AT tire. Seem's as if AT3 are the way to go, but what are you all seeing? Im a creature of habit, but maybe time to switch....I can't decide.

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
Any update on the comparisons? Have a '22 coming, and I'm in the same boat. Die-hard BFG fan, but they are hard to find at the moment, so looking at the AT3. Most of my driving is on the pavement. I'm all for looks and not looking at off-road handling. I'm looking for good rain and snow handling though, which the BFG has always done well. Looking at decent tread wear and noise levels. I have 13k on my current BFG's and wear is good, noise has been what is expected with a big AT tire. Seem's as if AT3 are the way to go, but what are you all seeing? Im a creature of habit, but maybe time to switch....I can't decide.
The AT3 is waaaaaay better than the BFGs in the snow. Come winter time I replace my wife's BFGs with dedicated snows on her Jeep and keep the AT3s on my truck. I did try siping them this winter and it made them an even better snow tire than before.

Asphaltman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Entrepreneur
The AT3 is waaaaaay better than the BFGs in the snow. Come winter time I replace my wife's BFGs with dedicated snows on her Jeep and keep the AT3s on my truck. I did try siping them this winter and it made them an even better snow tire than before.
How are they with wear and noise?

I also see some people say the size is off....what does that mean? I currently have BFG on my '21 and with the 2" level I had to cut the ford aftermarket mud flaps just a little...so really no room to spare on those. The '22 will have a similar setup.

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
How are they with wear and noise?

I also see some people say the size is off....what does that mean? I currently have BFG on my '21 and with the 2" level I had to cut the ford aftermarket mud flaps just a little...so really no room to spare on those. The '22 will have a similar setup.
The wear has been solid so far and the noise isn't bad - definitely not louder than the BFG and quieter than Duratracs and Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

I currently have a 2" Readylift level and running 295-70/18 (34.3") tires. I had to trim just a bit of the Ford mudflaps on the inside edge to avoid rubbing.

Sponsored

Asphaltman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Entrepreneur
The wear has been solid so far and the noise isn't bad - definitely not louder than the BFG and quieter than Duratracs and Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

I currently have a 2" Readylift level and running 295-70/18 (34.3") tires. I had to trim just a bit of the Ford mudflaps on the inside edge to avoid rubbing.
My current BFG's are 295 60 R20 with the ready lift 2" level, and I too had to trim the corner of the front flap. No biggie tho. Im just so torn on these tires...BFG's have never let me down, but dang, so many people are loving the AT3...

OP
OP
Heavishot

Heavishot

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F-150
I am planning on new tires around November/December. Does anyone have insider information on the shortages? Wondering how bad it's going to get. I can order early enough a longer wait isn't a big deal but I'm wondering if it's going to get so bad that you can't necessarily just go buy whatever brand/size you prefer.

Asphaltman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Entrepreneur
I am planning on new tires around November/December. Does anyone have insider information on the shortages? Wondering how bad it's going to get. I can order early enough a longer wait isn't a big deal but I'm wondering if it's going to get so bad that you can't necessarily just go buy whatever brand/size you prefer.
I talked to BFGoodrich/Michelin today, And the person on the phone claimed that the tires are in production now and the back order will be resolved within a month however other sources I’ve talked to indicate from their people that that is not completely true. Regardless I get the feeling that at least by fall time things will be back to normal. I would say he would be OK. Are you going to go with the AT3’s?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Heavishot

Heavishot

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F-150
I keep going back and forth! I think I like the look of the BFGs a little better but it seems pretty clear everyone who’s had both says the AT3 perform better. If I was buying tonight I’d go with the AT3. Who knows what I’ll think when I wake up in the morning! LOL

Asphaltman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Entrepreneur
I keep going back and forth! I think I like the look of the BFGs a little better but it seems pretty clear everyone who’s had both says the AT3 perform better. If I was buying tonight I’d go with the AT3. Who knows what I’ll think when I wake up in the morning! LOL
I’m the exact same way. I need to make a decision soon. Everyone seems to like the AT3, however many reviews on Toyos site don’t say the same. The BFG’s have always done me well, so I’m leaning that direction... Im a creature of habit, but it may be nice to try something else. Another but I just found out…in my size, the BFG’s are 69lbs….AT3 are 60…..so does that mean worse mileage, and or are the AT3‘s light duty?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Heavishot

Heavishot

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F-150
AT3 are lighter so that will mean SOME difference in mileage but is enough to think about? I still think rolling resistance makes the biggest hit to mpg. I don’t think the AT3 are light duty but the BFG are more heavy duty for rock crawling (which I don’t need).

Asphaltman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Entrepreneur
AT3 are lighter so that will mean SOME difference in mileage but is enough to think about? I still think rolling resistance makes the biggest hit to mpg. I don’t think the AT3 are light duty but the BFG are more heavy duty for rock crawling (which I don’t need).
Honestly the fact that I will have this truck leveled and the bigger tires will kill mpg more than weight of tire so it is what it is. My 2021 is getting about 14 miles to the gallon. I like the idea of a heavy duty tire and that’s what also keeps me back leaning towards BFG. Presently to get BFG‘s, it’s going to cost me about 300 bucks more than the AT3’s, And I will need to bring them in and then have someone mount and balance them whereas the AT3s are in stock everywhere. I’ve literally been reading comparisons for the last few hours and both of them are darn near equal for positive and negative reviews.

Asphaltman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Entrepreneur
At3 is what I run. About 12k on them and still quiet. I rotate every 5 and keep them aired up around 50-55psi.
6924B851-FE49-49DD-8ABA-AB755E4B98DF.jpeg
That’s awesome, those are the wheels I ordered as well. Same ones on my ‘21. Nice looking truck!

OP
OP
Heavishot

Heavishot

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F-150
Leveling really doesn’t affect mileage enough to worry about. I’m averaging 22 mpg over 20k miles and almost 24 the last 3k leveled on stock Hankooks. I know I’ll take a hit with bigger AT tires.
Sponsored