Sponsored

Better long term reliability 5.0 w/ CD or PB??

Bo15

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch 4x4, 2010 F-150 Platinum 4x4
Hi. Trying to sort thru the new engine features for 2021. Which would have better long-term reliability? The 5.0 with Cylinder Deactivation or the Power Boost? Thanks.
Sponsored

executor485

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Explorer Platinum
Both engines have good and bad. The PB is a 3.5EB with electric. The 5.0 is a coyote and has suffered from oil consumption in recent years. But I’ve seen a number of threads and videos where the service techs choose the 5.0 3 out of 4 times due to what they’ve seen. Also, there is genuinely less to go wrong on a simple V8. With a 3.5 you could be tracking down a boost leak, or a number of other routes that aren’t straight forward. Just the nature of a turbo engine though.
Either way it’s honestly about your end goal. Do you want to tune it? Do you want to go fast? Do you want to modify and tinker? Buy the engine that will meet your future goals. Mine is a Whipple. I love the sound of a supercharger whine and I need a family vehicle that’s also fun to drive. For other people they want to tune the 3.5EB and run e85 and go fast that way. And then there’s a crowd that just drives and has a nice day. It’s not cut and dry, which is where the end goal is the big focus.

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
I know you didn't list it as a choice, but take a good look at the 3.0 diesel. Im willing to bet it'll outlast any other engine offered on this truck, and I personally owned it in an 18' and loved it over my 16' EcoBoost.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I’m still trying to educate myself on this as well. It appears the turbo EcoBoost engines (both 2.7L and 3.5L combined) consistently make up about two thirds of the share of engines going into F-150s. I would say that’s a pretty good sign so far.

I had the chance to drive the 5.0 V8 and 2.7L EcoBoost back to back at the test drive events and there was something about the “seat of your pants” boost feel when the turbos get going that was awesome! The V8 was still good, and beats it in engine and exhaust sound hands down, but I intend on opting for the 3.5L EcoBoost in my build based off of that test drive!

I posted the article showing the stats below.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/08/v8-market-share-just-quarter-ford-f150-lineup/

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Hi. Trying to sort thru the new engine features for 2021. Which would have better long-term reliability? The 5.0 with Cylinder Deactivation or the Power Boost? Thanks.
Some good reasoning from others and they are right. For me I do want reliability and I want lots of Hp and torque, without voiding my warranty.

All these engines are much more complicated these days. They are trying to get the most power out of them and stay within emissions and economy requirements. New advancements and technology helps make this possible.

I have been all EcoBoost for my last 3 trucks and soon to be 4. I have not any issues with any of them but I don't keep a vehicle past a warranty. That is why on my 2018 I purchased an ESP trying to add more time to my ownership. It was working to till the 21 came out with it's changes.

The PowerBoost which I have order and did drive, was the most impressive in a truck to date for me, so off I go.

I cannot stand hearing a engine downshifting to rive high RPMs to keep it's speed up while under load or climbing a hill. That's why I really like low RPM high torque engines. All these type engines need forced air to achieve this capability.

In the past, only diesel engines could do this but now the Ecos are surpassing the diesels of the past in Hp and Torque. They do this at a cheaper purchase price and operating cost. You have to want to keep one past 250,000 to 300,000 miles to see it and that does not effect me.

Each person has their reasons and I really don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Just order what you want and enjoy! All mass produce vehicles can have some issues that pop up on one and not the other, you have to look at the percentages I guess and protect yourself with warranty is my philosophy. Lol

my 2 cents
Sponsored