First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Occupation
Business Systems Analyst
I recently bought a Fastway E2 trailer hitch. Just bought a trailer that came with an Equal-i-zer hitch. My understanding is the Equal-i-zer has 4 pt sway control where the Fastway only has 2. Does that make the Equal-i-zer a better hitch? Does it reduce sway more? Or would it not be noticeable difference? Is one easier to put on truck than other or any other discernable differences? Thanks for any information....Cindy
Sponsored

LD50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Raptor, 2022 Lariat on order
The fastway would likely be adequate but if you have both, I'd stick with the Equalizer. The Equalizer will provide sway control through the friction between the trunnion bars and "L" brackets. It also has the ability to adjust additional sway control by tightening the bolts on the trunnion pivots. Ease of hookup should be similar depending on whether your Fastway has the square or round trunnion bars. My personal experience is that seating and removing the round bars in the hitch is always a bit of a pain. The portion of the round bars that inserts into the hitch is also always covered in grease that no matter how hard I try, it always seems to end up places I don't want it.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe both the Fastway and Equalizer are made by the same company with the Equalizer being considered the more premium version. Looking at the overall design of both, especially the "L" brackets would support them both being made by the same manufacturer.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
I've seen places that say the WDH (weight distributing hitch) that has the L-shaped bars with chains on them, an the sway control bar as the "good" or "entry level" setup.

Example:
Ford F-150 Better hitch 1669700525341

I have used this setup to tow 5000# behind my previous Ranger and it was a night-and-day difference.

I've heard the style like the Equalizer is the "better" option since it doesn't use the same sway control as the Curt, pictured. One of the bonuses is not having to hook up that third connection (the sway control).

Personally, I can't imagine it does it any BETTER than the Curt, pictured, it just does it with a couple fewer pieces. You wont catch me paying more money when I already have a hitch that does the job just fine. Run what you already have, imo.

unafFORDableXLT

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT
Assuming the Equalizer (E4) that came with the trailer has the correct bars for the hitch weight, go with it.

I would have gone with the E4 if there wasn’t a fitment issue with my trailer tongue.
I’m currently using the E2 trunnion with 1,000 lb bars on my 26’ Imagine 22mle (6995 lb. gross weight) and have been very satisfied with the ride and never feel any sway.

Note, you can back up with the square bars of E2 & E4, but it’s my understanding that you can’t with the chain style pictured above. It’s recommended that they be disconnected before backing into a site.
Not a problem, just be aware.
Even with the E2, If I know we’re pulling into a very uneven/awkward site, I’ll remove the bars while my wife is checking in at the office. Again, not necessary, but does make it easier.
Ford F-150 Better hitch E60B12CA-602D-4CEF-AFA7-14358A471503

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
it’s my understanding that you can’t with the chain style pictured above. It’s recommended that they be disconnected before backing into a site.
I have heard this rumor, but a little searching around has shown me that it's
A: not about the hitch, but the sway control itself; and
B: You can back up with the sway control just fine if you don't make TIGHT, rapid turns. If you need to back it up then just loosen up the sway control. The issue is that when you go to straighten out the sway control must slide inwards, and if you have it extended out pretty far there's a chance it wont want to slide in, and instead it will just buckle and break. Which is actually possible to do while going forward (just less likely).

I've towed a ton with mine and never had an issue with it. 🤷
Sponsored