First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 XL
Occupation
Retired
Watching the TV show with the restoration guy that restores everything from old pinball machines to antiques. He demonstrated talcum powder. Just sprinkle it on the surfaces and power buff. He's the expert.
Sponsored

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
I'd rather use compound for cars with my Porter Cable

Heavishot

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F-150
Optimum Hyper Polish, Lake City orange pad and my random orbital polisher.

Skier167

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
I use a griots garage g9 with lakes pads and 3d speed for a compound. Surface prep is very important as well or you’ll just be creating more swirls. If you want to learn how to detail your truck check out apex detailing on YouTube. That’s where i learned from.

Sponsored

OP
OP

fmdog44

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 XL
Occupation
Retired
I use a griots garage g9 with lakes pads and 3d speed for a compound. Surface prep is very important as well or you’ll just be creating more swirls. If you want to learn how to detail your truck check out apex detailing on YouTube. That’s where i learned from.
Or take the advice from a restoration professional who is sought out from customers all over the country.

Rockman5159

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford f150 FX4
Occupation
retired
Fine but I take advice from professionals plus your way can damage the finish
I worked at an Auto parts store for 23 years and Ive tried practically every polish ,was,and compound availabe and Ive been detailing cars part time for 40 years. I remember the first video that I watched on how to detail a car on a MOTHERS VCR.The first thing the detailer did was wash a chrome wheel with a brush!. I threw that in the trash immediatley. Experience is the key to a flawless detailing job. First off it depends on how deep the swirl marks and and if they are jus in random places of the entire car. I try to do most of my by hand or an orbital polisher like the porter cable . You need to start with the appropriate polish/compound and aslo the proper application pad. They make polishes from ultrafine to correcting compounds. One of the keys to prevent swirl marks is to not let the surface get too hot and to keep the surface lubricated either by fine water mists or a spray "quick detailer" and once again use the correct applicater pad. I normally wash,clean surface with fine cut cleaner,then a polish and finally a good coat of good quality wax. there isnt a simple fast fix for removing swirl marks. It's a long tedious and multi step process. The hard work pays off in the end. In short survey the surface,READ the application instructions, and take you time. Youll be amazed at the results

Rockman5159

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford f150 FX4
Occupation
retired
I worked at an Auto parts store for 23 years and Ive tried practically every polish ,was,and compound availabe and Ive been detailing cars part time for 40 years. I remember the first video that I watched on how to detail a car on a MOTHERS VCR.The first thing the detailer did was wash a chrome wheel with a brush!. I threw that in the trash immediatley. Experience is the key to a flawless detailing job. First off it depends on how deep the swirl marks and and if they are jus in random places of the entire car. I try to do most of my by hand or an orbital polisher like the porter cable . You need to start with the appropriate polish/compound and aslo the proper application pad. They make polishes from ultrafine to correcting compounds. One of the keys to prevent swirl marks is to not let the surface get too hot and to keep the surface lubricated either by fine water mists or a spray "quick detailer" and once again use the correct applicater pad. I normally wash,clean surface with fine cut cleaner,then a polish and finally a good coat of good quality wax. there isnt a simple fast fix for removing swirl marks. It's a long tedious and multi step process. The hard work pays off in the end. In short survey the surface,READ the application instructions, and take you time. Youll be amazed at the results
Ford F-150 Best Way To Remove Swirls / Scuff Marks From Painted Surfaces 20211220_152954

Ford F-150 Best Way To Remove Swirls / Scuff Marks From Painted Surfaces 20211220_152958

Ford F-150 Best Way To Remove Swirls / Scuff Marks From Painted Surfaces 20211222_140431

Rockman5159

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford f150 FX4
Occupation
retired
my 2020 Regular cab XLT race red.Im waiting in my 2021 regular cab FX4 race red.3:73 gears 5.0 eng 10 spd auto Should arrive anyday now

Sponsored

OP
OP

fmdog44

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 XL
Occupation
Retired
I had swirl marks in my 2004 Ram but none in my 2021 F150 and have yet to wax and polish

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Fine but I take advice from professionals plus your way can damage the finish
Can damage my cars? Really? One, don't use "professional" advise from a furniture repair guy. If you're going to watch something. Check out autogeek videos.

Get a swirl finder light, I'm sure your truck is full of swirls....

Valleyrider

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Can damage my cars? Really? One, don't use "professional" advise from a furniture repair guy. If you're going to watch something. Check out autogeek videos.

Get a swirl finder light, I'm sure your truck is full of swirls....
This is exactly the advice you need to listen to and not a tv show you watch.

Autogeek is a very reputable place and sells most all the professional auto detailing supplies. I would never let talcum powder touch my paint as a correction method as you are suggesting.

Get a good random orbit polisher like a Rupes bigfoot and get some good polishing compound, I like Menzerna products.

If you want to try to polish your truck with talcum powder good luck while you destroy the paint.

OP
OP

fmdog44

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 XL
Occupation
Retired
This is exactly the advice you need to listen to and not a tv show you watch.

Autogeek is a very reputable place and sells most all the professional auto detailing supplies. I would never let talcum powder touch my paint as a correction method as you are suggesting.

Get a good random orbit polisher like a Rupes bigfoot and get some good polishing compound, I like Menzerna products.

If you want to try to polish your truck with talcum powder good luck while you destroy the paint.
I was working paint long before 99% of members here were born. Think about what you are saying.....Talcum is bad for paint, Really? What do people all over the world put on their babies' bottoms? What do women cover themselves with after drying off from the shower? Not one polish & wax is better than the other unless you believe all Mothers adds or Mequires adds so stop with the recommendations. I have two orbital buffers leftover from working the paint on my 04 Ram which was plagued with noticeable swirl marks as were all Rams back then. One thing that puzzles me here some posters claim a "swirl light" is necessary to inspect the paint. Well, if you need a special light to see the swirls why bother trying to remove them if they are hidden?!! I'll work my paint by hand using over the counter products from any auto parts joint against one done with the most expensive goop and polishers and no one can tell the difference.
Sponsored