Best Way To Remove Swirls / Scuff Marks From Painted Surfaces

cghall77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I worked at an Auto parts store for 23 years and Ive tried practically every polish ,was,and compound availabe and Ive been detailing cars part time for 40 years. I remember the first video that I watched on how to detail a car on a MOTHERS VCR.The first thing the detailer did was wash a chrome wheel with a brush!. I threw that in the trash immediatley. Experience is the key to a flawless detailing job. First off it depends on how deep the swirl marks and and if they are jus in random places of the entire car. I try to do most of my by hand or an orbital polisher like the porter cable . You need to start with the appropriate polish/compound and aslo the proper application pad. They make polishes from ultrafine to correcting compounds. One of the keys to prevent swirl marks is to not let the surface get too hot and to keep the surface lubricated either by fine water mists or a spray "quick detailer" and once again use the correct applicater pad. I normally wash,clean surface with fine cut cleaner,then a polish and finally a good coat of good quality wax. there isnt a simple fast fix for removing swirl marks. It's a long tedious and multi step process. The hard work pays off in the end. In short survey the surface,READ the application instructions, and take you time. Youll be amazed at the results
Just picked up Milwaukee's M18 7" polisher. Can't wait for spring to give it a try, until then, I have been watching a lot of YouTube. Will try out on my 2014 Cruze before it hit the F150 ?

Do you have any recommendations on videos for the diy'r to get started? I have always just washed and waxed by hand.
Sponsored

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
I was working paint long before 99% of members here were born. Think about what you are saying.....Talcum is bad for paint, Really? What do people all over the world put on their babies' bottoms? What do women cover themselves with after drying off from the shower? Not one polish & wax is better than the other unless you believe all Mothers adds or Mequires adds so stop with the recommendations. I have two orbital buffers leftover from working the paint on my 04 Ram which was plagued with noticeable swirl marks as were all Rams back then. One thing that puzzles me here some posters claim a "swirl light" is necessary to inspect the paint. Well, if you need a special light to see the swirls why bother trying to remove them if they are hidden?!! I'll work my paint by hand using over the counter products from any auto parts joint against one done with the most expensive goop and polishers and no one can tell the difference.
You are wasting your breath /key strokes. Pretty sure you are the only one on here or virtually any enthusiast site that agrees with you.

You are an old geezer if you still think women put that cancer causing stuff on themselves. Or, use it on their babies.......

Swirl lights are used because you don't work on paint in direct sunlight. It produces the intense light similar to sunlight so you can see what the paint will look like outdoors.

Virtually all of my toys have been black so I have a fair amount of experience with getting paint to look good. The 1967 Fairlane was on display at the Detroit Autorama years ago.
Ford F-150 Best Way To Remove Swirls / Scuff Marks From Painted Surfaces 20220107_125536
Ford F-150 Best Way To Remove Swirls / Scuff Marks From Painted Surfaces 20220107_125800

pkinneb

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 & 2018 MX5's, 2021 F150 PB Platinum
Just picked up Milwaukee's M18 7" polisher. Can't wait for spring to give it a try, until then, I have been watching a lot of YouTube. Will try out on my 2014 Cruze before it hit the F150 ?

Do you have any recommendations on videos for the diy'r to get started? I have always just washed and waxed by hand.
Adams Polishes has some pretty good YouTube video's out there

Rockman5159

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford f150 FX4
Occupation
retired
if its an orbital buffer slower speeds are better for clear coats. If its not and orbital ,just a 7 " buffer BE VERY CAREFUL, buff OFF of an edge od bodyline to avoid a burnthrough. It can happed in a split second and go all the way to the metal. Id recommed you do as you said ,experiment on the Cruz or a body panel from a scrap yard. If its a regular circular buffer I'd hesitate to put it on a new vehicle PERIOD. Good luck and be careful

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Very retired

Search YouTube - Autogeek polishes. You'll find a number of them. They actually have classes there.

Sponsored

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I've had good luck with Griot's BOSS defect remover and their orbital. I've also used it by hand. For really mild stuff you can use 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. But I'm sure any good polish from Adam's, Mothers, Griot's, etc. will be good. Don't use auto part store compound, it's too harsh. And Talcum ?!?!?!?

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Very retired
Orbitals are near impossible to burn paint or take edges off. A real buffer, wool pad? Absolutely, you can do damage.

OP
OP

fmdog44

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 XL
Occupation
Retired
You are wasting your breath /key strokes. Pretty sure you are the only one on here or virtually any enthusiast site that agrees with you.

You are an old geezer if you still think women put that cancer causing stuff on themselves. Or, use it on their babies.......

Swirl lights are used because you don't work on paint in direct sunlight. It produces the intense light similar to sunlight so you can see what the paint will look like outdoors.

Virtually all of my toys have been black so I have a fair amount of experience with getting paint to look good. The 1967 Fairlane was on display at the Detroit Autorama years ago.
20220107_125536.jpg
20220107_125800.jpg
Who or how many agree or disagree with me has no bearing. You are the one that needs support & new diapers. I work in the shade and not in all the hundreds of auto & custom shows have attended I have never heard a person yell "Boy that car used swirl lights and orbital buffers!"?
P,S. Millions of men & women use talc professor.

Valleyrider

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Who or how many agree or disagree with me has no bearing. You are the one that needs support & new diapers. I work in the shade and not in all the hundreds of auto & custom shows have attended I have never heard a person yell "Boy that car used swirl lights and orbital buffers!"?
if you know what swirl marks are and what they look like in the sun you’ll notice a huge percentage of cars at car shows are covered in them because they were never polished out correctly. If you don’t know what your looking at then your freshly washed and waxed car will look great but still be swirled up and noticeable if you know what your looking at.

I’ve been to one of the most prestigious car shows, The Quail, and over half the cars were covered in swirl marks. Just because you have been to many car shows doesn’t mean you know what you are looking at when it comes to paint correction.

Oh and I wouldn’t suggest using Mothers product that you can find at auto part stores, they are not the same quality as you will find in professional products. There is a big difference in using professional products vs consumer products but if you think they are all the same then save yourself the money and have fun with that talcum powder and doing it by hand.

also why did you need 2 buffers to polish your old truck? They take 2 hands to use and the pads get changed out often so I’m confused why you would needed 2 when 1 is sufficient.

Sponsored

OP
OP

fmdog44

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 XL
Occupation
Retired
if you know what swirl marks are and what they look like in the sun you’ll notice a huge percentage of cars at car shows are covered in them because they were never polished out correctly. If you don’t know what your looking at then your freshly washed and waxed car will look great but still be swirled up and noticeable if you know what your looking at.

I’ve been to one of the most prestigious car shows, The Quail, and over half the cars were covered in swirl marks. Just because you have been to many car shows doesn’t mean you know what you are looking at when it comes to paint correction.

Oh and I wouldn’t suggest using Mothers product that you can find at auto part stores, they are not the same quality as you will find in professional products. There is a big difference in using professional products vs consumer products but if you think they are all the same then save yourself the money and have fun with that talcum powder and doing it by hand.

also why did you need 2 buffers to polish your old truck? They take 2 hands to use and the pads get changed out often so I’m confused why you would needed 2 when 1 is sufficient.
Your post makes no sense from start to finish. Why two buffers you ask? For the same reason I have duplicates of many of my power tools as well as hand tools. So Mothers and its many competitors are just not up to your standard? Odd how these products are used on the many cars professional rebuild/upgrade shows on the TV and everywhere at car shows but then you are smarter than all of them combined.
So more than half the cars at this Quail how were covered with swirl marks? It begs the question, "Why is it so prestigious if the rides half the rides look like crap?" You should quit now for there is only so far you can fall.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Very retired
Johnson & Johnson faces thousands of talcum powder lawsuits claiming the company’s talc-based products — Johnson’s Baby Powder and Shower-to-Shower — led them to develop ovarian cancer and mesothelioma. In October 2019, Johnson & Johnson recalled about 33,000 bottles of baby powder after the U.S. Food and Drug Administration discovered asbestos in one bottle it tested.

On May 19, 2020, Johnson & Johnson announced it would stop selling talc-based Johnson’s Baby Powder in the United States and Canada because of poor sales and fallout from the COVID-19 pandemic.

OP
OP

fmdog44

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 XL
Occupation
Retired
Johnson & Johnson faces thousands of talcum powder lawsuits claiming the company’s talc-based products — Johnson’s Baby Powder and Shower-to-Shower — led them to develop ovarian cancer and mesothelioma. In October 2019, Johnson & Johnson recalled about 33,000 bottles of baby powder after the U.S. Food and Drug Administration discovered asbestos in one bottle it tested.

On May 19, 2020, Johnson & Johnson announced it would stop selling talc-based Johnson’s Baby Powder in the United States and Canada because of poor sales and fallout from the COVID-19 pandemic.
And that has what to do with talc on shelves in stores eveywhere across the world? The OP (mine) said nothing about brand on talc powder and besides I never knew of paint having vaginas which is the foundation of the lawsuits against J&J.

Valleyrider

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Your post makes no sense from start to finish. Why two buffers you ask? For the same reason I have duplicates of many of my power tools as well as hand tools. So Mothers and its many competitors are just not up to your standard? Odd how these products are used on the many cars professional rebuild/upgrade shows on the TV and everywhere at car shows but then you are smarter than all of them combined.
So more than half the cars at this Quail how were covered with swirl marks? It begs the question, "Why is it so prestigious if the rides half the rides look like crap?" You should quit now for there is only so far you can fall.
Sometimes ignorant people choose to stay close minded and show their ignorance instead of learning something new and expanding their knowledge base. You obviously are set in your ways and don't want to see beyond your shallow thought process. Good luck with your truck and good luck in life, hopefully one day you’ll be able to see beyond a tv show and experience real life. If you don’t know what something is try doing some basic research and learn about it before trying to trash it.

OP
OP

fmdog44

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 XL
Occupation
Retired
Sometimes ignorant people choose to stay close minded and show their ignorance instead of learning something new and expanding their knowledge base. You obviously are set in your ways and don't want to see beyond your shallow thought process. Good luck with your truck and good luck in life, hopefully one day you’ll be able to see beyond a tv show and experience real life. If you don’t know what something is try doing some basic research and learn about it before trying to trash it.
Your post is stupid.
Sponsored