Best Way To Protect My New F-150 Paint?

Nasto

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew
PPF hole truck will be $4000 to $7000 depending on who and where you live. Plus is self healing last long time . Negative is lot of up front cost. You can do a ceramic coating your self if you do a little research on YouTube In the same amount of time as a coat of wax. Prep is key to these lasting.. clean , clay bar, wipe down again with some 50 to 70% denatured alcohol, coat. , wipe off . Fallow the instructions. Last any where to 1 year to five.. look at this for first timers this stuff the pros even use. Gyeon Can Coat . Wipe on wipe off no flash time and can go on every thing. Plus you can do like 10 cars with 1 can . Last right at a year and is like $69 Bucks. The other benefit to ceramic coating is the hydrophobic properties and makes maintenance washes super fast.. Check out Pan the Organizer, Ammo nyc , they have good reviews and how to. Good luck.
Back in 2022 with the whole heat exchanger debacle on a brand new truck, I negotiated a reduced cost with the dealer for their PPF "Ultimate Package" with full hood and fenders, which I'm so glad I did.
Anyway, Is it OK to apply wax once in a while after a hand wash? I'm reading some pros and cons of PPF's and one article says you can if you use the proper wax. I have a bottle of Butter Wet Wax from Chemical Guys.
Sponsored

PowerBoostSoCal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariet Powerboost
I go to a car wash supply shop by me and get great advice about washing stuff ... I use their ceramic spray myself, cheap and easy lasts about 3 months or more and takes about 45 minutes after a good wash. Looks great and is so easy to maintain.

Bossharp

First Name
Clinton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
Occupation
Retired USN
Professional paint correction and high end ceramic coating is not cheep but the ease of cleaning alone makes a huge difference in how it looks from day one. If you never wash or touch your truck after that it will still look good for years. I'm 'Frugal' and it's the first thing I'm doing when mine gets built. You would think a brand new truck and paint would not need paint correction but many sit for weeks and months before the dealer sees it and need decontamination and claybar. Few dealerships know how to even wash a vehicle without scratching.. Now I'm hoping to kill the red Cardinal that fights itself in my outside mirrors on my Honda and craps all over both doors before my new truck gets home..

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
I make it a point of not driving behind lifted trucks or semi's and avoid the road debris that they toss up. I like chrome front bumpers as they can take a knock. I also have running boards on my trucks along with splash shields to protect the sides of the truck from stuff the front tires pick up and expel against the truck.

The dealer had supposedly put a protective coating on my 2022 truck and added it to the invoice. I told the salesperson that I wanted the truck but was not going to pay for this paint scam or for the ID etching on the cab glass. They took these two charges off the invoice.

Jmet8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco
Back in 2022 with the whole heat exchanger debacle on a brand new truck, I negotiated a reduced cost with the dealer for their PPF "Ultimate Package" with full hood and fenders, which I'm so glad I did.
Anyway, Is it OK to apply wax once in a while after a hand wash? I'm reading some pros and cons of PPF's and one article says you can if you use the proper wax. I have a bottle of Butter Wet Wax from Chemical Guys.
yes you can ceramic coat/wax ppf . You can even wax ceramic coated cars or paint.

Sponsored

somecatchyphrase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150, 2023 Audi Etron Quattro
Occupation
Doer of stuff and things.
I did Xpel matte PPF on my entire truck. Yes, large upfront cost., if you are keeping the truck for a while probably worth it. As many members in this thread has suggested the most essential areas to get done are your front bumper and hood. Ironically most of the damage my PPF has had inflicted on it have not been in those areas so don't shy away from doing other areas as budget permits.

PPF and ceramic coating go hand in hand. Most PPF makers consider a ceramic coating on top of the PPF to be essential to maintain the health of the film. I personally ceramic coat my truck yearly and use spray on ceramic every few washes. I use the AMMO NYC line of ceramic products. The ceramic coating could be DIY but you must educate yourself and be prepared for some physical labor.

Dale B

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150(on order), SL500, S430, Boxster, 930, CJ5
Occupation
Retired
Professional paint correction and high end ceramic coating is not cheep but the ease of cleaning alone makes a huge difference in how it looks from day one. If you never wash or touch your truck after that it will still look good for years. I'm 'Frugal' and it's the first thing I'm doing when mine gets built. You would think a brand new truck and paint would not need paint correction but many sit for weeks and months before the dealer sees it and need decontamination and claybar. Few dealerships know how to even wash a vehicle without scratching.. Now I'm hoping to kill the red Cardinal that fights itself in my outside mirrors on my Honda and craps all over both doors before my new truck gets home..
I just put a ceramic coating on my month old F150. The paint was really good from the factory. The paint correcting was fairly easy because it was new. I was very pleased with the application of the ceramic. It took me a full day to complete and I could hardly move the next day, but doing it myself saved me about $1,600.

aaexpert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 f150 platinum
My business installs both products. PPF will protect the front end from the harsh chips/dings from rocks, etc. and Ceramic the rest. FYI, Ceramic is now available to use ON TOP of PPF.

Cb Mw

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bike
Ppf and coatings are great but I'd argue the single best thing is proper car washes.

Washing properly will prevent the need to polish the paint often and wear our the clear coat. A proper wash also includes some protection, which can be done extremely efficiently during the drying process.

If one goes down the rabbit hole of washing, it's may lead to doing a coating at some point though. That's what happened to me.

OP
OP
Popeye67

Popeye67

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lariat Coyote 5.0
Ppf and coatings are great but I'd argue the single best thing is proper car washes.

Washing properly will prevent the need to polish the paint often and wear our the clear coat. A proper wash also includes some protection, which can be done extremely efficiently during the drying process.

If one goes down the rabbit hole of washing, it's may lead to doing a coating at some point though. That's what happened to me.
Great advice! 👍🏻

Sponsored

staying_tuned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT
KY bugs are out heavy & early. With PPF & ceramic on the front (heads/fogs included) you can let them sit for however long. Their acids won't etch your clear and eat into your paint. It has been at least 2 months since I've washed it and I still didn't have time today for a full wash but it was caked in bugs up front and we had a brief rain this morning. After the rain died down I leveraged the rain soak to go ahead and wash down the front.

This truck isn't pampered from a usage standpoint and has just over 10k miles. PPF wasn't cheap but it's cry once buy once. I can use it as a truck yet restore it back to new looking efficiently. With PPF & ceramic mild soap & water with a MF mitt is all that is needed to wipe off baked on bugs leaving absolutely no visually detectable trace behind.

Ford F-150 Best Way To Protect My New F-150 Paint? ppf-ceramic-side

Ford F-150 Best Way To Protect My New F-150 Paint? ppf-ceramic-front

Ford F-150 Best Way To Protect My New F-150 Paint? ppf-ceramic-other-side

Bossharp

First Name
Clinton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
Occupation
Retired USN
staying_tuned that's exactly why PPF and cremic are so important to keep your truck looking great and retain as much of it's value as possible. Ease of removing caked on bugs especially love bugs is the best part.. I struggled for years with them down here in Florida and that's why I'm getting it done first before any other mod when my truck gets built. Paint correction before you put it on, even with a brand new truck, makes a incredible difference if done professionally by a quality installer.
Edit: This is especially important for those of yall that had your truck built and then stored outside for months before shipped to your dealer. So much containments fell on your paint and are imbedded no dealer prep wash will help. In fact that quickey wash will absolutely leave a haze and fine scratches that will take a lot of time to get out. At the very least clay bar it before anything else. Lots of people ask the dealership not wash the exterior at all for that reason.
Sponsored

Last edited: