First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Occupation
Sales Manager
For everyday driving is there anything you can do to improve MPG on the 5.0 V8? Is it better to have it tuned or modify the air intake? Someone was even telling me the cat back system even helps but is that worth the money?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
XLT 4x4 SuperCab 8’ box, 3.31
I’m averaging right around 19 for about a year now.
little to no city driving.
truck is fully warmed before exceeding 50mph
I have a 10 mile stretch before I get on a hiway where I hover right around 45-50 and on the the instant meter I see well over 25mpg.
I do hover right at 19 at freeway speeds well over 70.

personally, I don’t see much room for improvement in a large brick.
my 98 Chev 4x4 Ext cab 5.7/5spd averages right at 16.5 with the same
driving habit.
My former little v6/5spd Ranger was hard pressed for 20 and it just rode too rough (but you could park it anywhere).

so, I’m pretty good with anything over 18 in a full size truck.
If I had bought a Ranger ( not a real truck) I would expect more.
Ive been considering an Explorer for her to replace the Trailblazer 4x4.
But it looks like I have to get the top of the line hybrid to get a v6, and I am not convinced of the capabilities of a 4-banger.

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
The 5.0 Coyote engine likely comes from the factory at its maximum fuel efficiency. Every single component is engineered for that purpose. In my opinion anything you do to it will probably REDUCE fuel efficiency of the engine itself.

All the above goes double for lift, tires, etc.

I have the 5.0 and it's a terrific engine. But at the end of the day, in my opinion, the only realistic way to reduce fuel usage is to drive less, drive slower, or get a different vehicle.

OP
OP
JPNewIn22

JPNewIn22

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Occupation
Sales Manager
The 5.0 Coyote engine likely comes from the factory at its maximum fuel efficiency. Every single component is engineered for that purpose. In my opinion anything you do to it will probably REDUCE fuel efficiency of the engine itself.

All the above goes double for lift, tires, etc.

I have the 5.0 and it's a terrific engine. But at the end of the day, in my opinion, the only realistic way to reduce fuel usage is to drive less, drive slower, or get a different vehicle.
Thanks for saving me the time and money!!!

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RCSB 5.0
Occupation
Making lego parts for new vehicles
I have about 1100 miles on my 5.0 RCSB 4X4 and have averaged 21.5 mpg in that time. On my 32 mile one way commute I'll see a high of 22.5 on any given day. Lead foot syndrome will reduce that greatly.

Sponsored

BigPaulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 5.0
Occupation
US Army (Ret)/GS Civilian
I hear ya. Personally, I didn't get the Coyote to save the environment or save money. To quote Omar Little from HBO's The Wire, “A man gotta have a code.”

bgalakazam

First Name
Lubo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 500A Lariat 4x4 5.0L
Drive eco mode in rwd, but why choose Coyote and then worry about efficiency.

I got the V8 for smiles per gallon, not efficiency. Averaging 14.5 right now as it’s cold, pretty much city only driving. The thing goes on the autobahn when needed. And always catches the envious stink eye from the Germans in their small cars.

OP
OP
JPNewIn22

JPNewIn22

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Occupation
Sales Manager

I got the V8 for smiles per gallon, not efficiency. Averaging 14.5 right now as it’s cold, pretty much city only driving. The thing goes on the autobahn when needed. And always catches the envious stink eye from the Germans in their small cars.
Not worried just curious since I’m switching from the 3.5 ecoboost to the V8. Thanks for the feedback!

powerboost

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost loaded
Occupation
retired technician
Maintain proper air pressure in tires as the cold weather will reduce psi. Use the +/- buttons in Drive to eliminate top gears when climbing hills on freeway so engine can stay in efficient powerband. The engines with turbo's really benefit from this to keep boost low as it will suck more gas when boost increases because truck is in too high of a gear and lugging some. Configure your gauge cluster to display boost gauge instead of oil pressure so you know when boost is increasing. Besides, the oil pressure gauge is at zero 20% of time so kinda just scary to see until you realize engine is off.....lol....o_O

Last edited:

Sponsored

BigPaulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 5.0
Occupation
US Army (Ret)/GS Civilian

They're secretly jealous.

fayby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
My ‘21 5.0 gets the same mileage as my previous ‘17 3.5eb I don’t think it gets much better.
Get the hybrid or 2.7eb if fuel efficiency is a concern

DSpyV

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 screw 5.0 STX
Occupation
Radiology
I’m getting 20.5 with my 4x4 5.0 crew STX with auto start stop delete. Here’s what I do:

1) leave it stock!
2) tire pressure 35
3) drive in eco mode
4) don’t drive over 72
5) regular gas
6) biggest thing is drive it easy stay under 2k rpm’s as much as possible. Use cruise. Coast to red lights like a manual.

I think mods (lift, wheels/tires) and driving characteristics are the two biggest things that’ll affect MPGs.

Eco mode really helps w the driving part. Too bad it won’t stay in eco mode, switching to it every time is annoying. One of my biggest beefs with the truck!!!

Missmy3/4ton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
300a XLT 5.0 4x4
I dont know about you all but I typically get better MPG on speeds over 50 mph in normal than eco. Eco seems to help around town, much makes sense as it changes the shift points.

bakerd

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport FX4
Occupation
Appraiser/Assessor
I dont know about you all but I typically get better MPG on speeds over 50 mph in normal than eco. Eco seems to help around town, much makes sense as it changes the shift points.
Me too.

Eco mode seems slightly worst on highway speeds from what I have seen in my 2021 and not really any or much better in town. It bounces the gears too much or something. I have been able to "drive it easy" in town and closely match it. Pressing the fun pedal hurts the most!!

I'm getting around 16mpg overall with a lot of city driving, pulling a trailer on weekends with a 4 wheeler going hunting, some 4wd driving, and highway driving. Highway only i'm between 19 and 19.5 mpg. I've got 4000 miles on mine. I have a 2" level and stock 20" wheels but BFG AT KO2's in stock size, which are a hair under 33" tires. I'm usually loaded pretty good too, with hunting gear, cooler, etc.
Sponsored